Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took Roxy to Petsmart and she met a couple of dogs, but she always wants to play. So she barks real loud and smacks them with her paws. I know these dogs eventually can/are aggressive. She isn't around any other animals but the porky beagle we have, which never wants to play. How do you socialize your animals? Do I need to be doing something? I try to get her to focus on me with a sit along with trying to get her eye contact if only for 2 seconds. (She's 12 weeks) ImageUploadedByPG Free1393210040.593952.jpg

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Bring her to all kinds of places :) pet stores, farmers markets, parks and let kids and people pet her and give her treats. And if someone at the park or pet store has a friendly dog, then by all means let her say hi-- mind as well enjoy the time that she still is good with other dogs since you never know if she will become DA or she might just love dogs her whole life haha :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At Coach,

I seen my first DA and Human aggressive puppy. It was so sad. I am so worried about Roxy being aggressive, it was sad to see a 10 week old pit puppy scared and snapping at everything. (She was adorable tho, in a snarly going to eat you alive kind of way lmao)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
At Coach,

I seen my first DA and Human aggressive puppy. It was so sad. I am so worried about Roxy being aggressive, it was sad to see a 10 week old pit puppy scared and snapping at everything. (She was adorable tho, in a snarly going to eat you alive kind of way lmao)
I know I'm not Coach, but I would venture to say that was probably more a fear based aggression than DA or HA, just going off what you said above. I mean, without more detail like body language, I can only guess that is what you saw. Terrible, either way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good thread.my dog also wants to meet people when I walk him but he jumps on people how o I stop him from jumping

·
<(-.-)> N00B
350 Posts
Apollo does his training for Obedience at petsmart. I have had to explain to my trainers as he got older why he wasn't allowed to play with his class mates; more of liability. I did not want him hurting a pup by accident and then it being my fault because the trainer said it was 'o.k.' to play together. Anyways, I like it because they do get to be trained in a very public, loud and fast paced area. :) It give him training while socializing with people. No, I will not allow him to socialize with strange dogs, only my own in case he does decide to go full blown DA and its more of me kicking myself in the butt and not someone else.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have to agree, now that you mention it. She was the runt of the litter, honestly I think she was taken from her mom to soon also. I will try next week to get a picture of her. She is so tiny compared to Roxy and is only 2 weeks younger. The owner was trying to get the leash out of her mouth and she growled and bit the crap out of her. The puppy also bites their young children. Just when they are walking by :/

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like a freaky scared puppy! Fear aggression can't be terrible so I hope this owner reads up about it and starts working with the puppy now so it can overcome this. I had to euthanize a dog that was human aggressive and fear aggressive --two separate things, and this dog was both. He was little Aussie/terrier mix. There was no way I could place him safely in any home.

·
<(-.-)> N00B
350 Posts
I like group Obedience. :) I think its a real test the dog. Sometimes it can be overwhelming though. Keep that in mind. And don't be afraid to say no.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First class was Saturday, and only one other couple in the class, their dog bit the trainer :/

I was hoping more people were signed up :/ so much for socialization :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts