Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my posting about the first vet visit, I was told that I should contact a more pitbull aware trainer...
I'm currently in the process of doing so.
If anyone would like to help me, please chip in...I'm in Kentucky.
I'm not afraid to travel but would prefer something close.

Currently what I am doing to help socialize Hemi is taking him to Petsmart beginner classes.
Today was the first one and he did very well.
For the first 10 minutes or so when all the dogs were barking and stuff he did as well.
But eventually they all calmed down and laid in the floor.
Of course within in a healthy distance of one another.
He was very well behaved in the store, loved it and all the different people.
And no I do not just let random people walk up and touch him.
I'm very careful with who comes near him.
Not one growl the entire time :) I was so pleased with him.

So that's once a week for a little while until the classes run out.
But other days what can I do to get him out and about...

I'm sort of limited as to where I live we do not have a dog park, just a normal park.
I do live in a suburb and take him for walks several times a day.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like your doing great so far with your handsome boy.
You two sound like you`re gunna make a great team.
Only thing I would suggest is stay consistent.
I take my boy for a walk around the park across the street from my house, there`s usually lots of kids playing there with their bikes, scooters, footballs. They never approach him but they do ride circles around us and get close, especially on their scooters.
I have my friends bring their kids over and they play with him all day long (under supervision of course) but I find both these really helps with socialization with children and "scary" moving objects.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Go to the UKC or AKC website and type in your state and what your are looking for. I typed in trainers. It then listed trainers in the area. Also IMO I would recommend regular walks but not dog parks, there are too many irresponsible owners in those places.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Just getting your dog out the house and your neighborhood are good step to take. Go for a drive find an area that looks kind of busy and get out and walk work on your obedience in this area too it is great to have distractions around.

I live out in the country and I have to drive along ways to find a good place to work Vendetta but it is worth it in the end.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I got my girl when she was over 4 months and she missed alot of critical early socializing due to being the last in her litter left and the breeder living out in the stix of NH. They took her out for rides and trips to a families house but that was it. She was scared when I first brought her home (even did a couple little belly growls) when she started experiencing all new things. I immediately contacted two trainers and signed up with both at different times and days of the week. I needed to make up for my girls lost weeks of early socialization and I was determined to get her out of her funk so to speak :) I am having issues with one of the trainers I am going to but today was my last class with him anyways. I do take Bella to all different pet stores. Petco, Petsmart, Petlife and Pet supplies plus to socialize her a couple days of week. I don't use any of Petsmart or Petco's trainers but just take her there to meet new people and other well behaved dogs if we come across any. Anyways, just figured I would tell you what I have done so far and that my girl has done a complete 360 because I am consistent in her socializing and training. Hope that helps and you can get Hemi to be the best that you want him to be :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to report that I've contacted a Pitbull trainer here in Kentucky and we have a session this Sunday. :)

When I got him, I pretty much made a promise to myself that I would do whatever it took to make him a happy and healthy dog..both physically and mentally. So... Consistency is my middle name! I'm so OCD and I can already tell the difference in him. He no longer tugs on the leash, he's walking having fun...it's a great thing.

So right now our schedule is:
--Daily walks all over our neighborhood there are tons of kids out daily and other dogs.
--One trip to the park on Wednesdays (it's my only all day off.)
--The beginner classes at Petsmart. (I already paid for em!)

·
Banned
835 Posts
break stick, and 2 inch collar, and leash with bull-snap (clasp)
these dogs don't need friends,...they're not like ANY other
dog. they were bred to fight,..thats what they do,... so preventive
maintenance and calculated risks is all you can do to be a good pit bull
owner.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Padlock is right that these dogs do not need friends. However there is nothing wrong with making your dog social enough to walk around other dogs and behave in public.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want him to have friends. I just want him to be able to walk past a dog without him getting scared.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
There is nothing wrong with wanting or expecting your dog to behave in public and ignore other animals when need be. Your headed in the right direction getting into some OB Classes and working with a qualified trainer one who understands this breed and has worked with them before. A lot of times that is the tough part A member here who is also a trainer Performance Kennels can refer you to some good trainers with breed exp in your area. She may even know the trainer you are currently looking into. Continue to socialize in as many places and with as many people as possible and things should start to improve over time. I just want to commend you for being so concerned about your new family member and keep up the good work. There are many people here who will help you and steer you in the right direction. Positive attitude and confidence is key in all of this. Keep up the good work. I have asked Lisa aka Performance Kennels to respond in this thread so be on the look out for her response. Best of Luck to both of you. And welcome to Gopitbull.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Didn't I post a link with a trainer in your area? Is that who you contacted? If so I want to hear all about it! ;)
Stay away from dog parks they are no good and will cause more trouble then they are worth. Wanting the dog to ignore other dogs is a very good goal and if your dog is nervous all the more reason to find a good trainer. Tell us what that trainer says and I hope the petsmart class isn't too bad! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts