Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys another question for everyone. I have just moved to the lower part of Michigan and dont know to many people. As a result Layla doesnt have any friends to play with any more. How do I go about keeping her dog socialized if she isnt ever around dogs anymore. I go to the parks around here but everyone keeps their dogs close to them like some one is going to steal them. Let me know if you have any advice, thanks.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
You have a pit bull... dog socialization may not be the best thing. You never know when your pup will decide it wants to eat other dogs for breakfast LOL. The dogs should be close to there owners it means they are responsible have you tried walking her up to these responsible owners and asking if your dog can sniff? Personally i socialized grizz in puppy class and around town but now i could care less how he feels about other dogs. My dogs are for my enjoyment not somebody elses and not some other dogs. Maverick is "dog socialized" just how i like um LMAO! nice and DA hehe. People socialization is crucial you can accomplish that by taking them downtown or on walks where there are lots of people, things, noises, lights, colors, bikes. As for dog socialization with Pit Bulls it can be tricky they may only like dogs they are familiar with and be EXTREMELY DA to strange dogs... they may be agro towards all dogs... they may not be agro towards any. If you wanna find out walk up to those responsible owners you notice and ask politely for a nice meet and greet with your dogs. Keep your dog onleash and i would reccomend only approaching people whos dogs are leashed also. Choose the dog you approach wisely you want to socialize her with calm dogs with good energy not hyper or shy dogs. With a young pit bull every experience with other dogs should be EXTREMELY controlled and make sure everythign goes smooth as exlax. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
124 Posts
just be careful my advice would be. my boy was great with other dogs till i went away for a week and asked my neighbours to feed him, they brought over there eng mastiff (female)to play, who my boy got on with, then when i wasn't there they fought now he shows DA with all dogs
all its takes is one bad experience to shape their lives

·
Registered
224 Posts
this is probably a dumb question, but how well can DA be bred out of a APBT, I imagine that if it was simple it would have been done by now..or maybe not..I know nothing about breeding lol so for all you breeders out there try your best to put up with my question haha..I hope you find a solution for the pup!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I agree with Dan, definitely. Just try it and see how it goes. China is DA with strange dogs and loves only those in her pack. So it's not a big deal to me that I can't take her to dog parks etc. She's mine anyways! =)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pits don't need other dogs to be fulfilled. Your gonna get to a point where you won't be able to leave her alone with other dogs anyways(for her protection). Puppy class is perfect for alittle bit of socialization. I would avoid parks or any public places for trying to find her a friend. If you meet her needs, you will be all she needs.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
agreed with above... pitbulls dont necesarrily need to be around other dogs. spend quality time with ur dog walkng downtown, lakes, let him explore the world and gett him used to all the noises...

i got lucky with kenya, she hasnt shown any DA (yet). so im am enjoying the dog interaction she gets but it is still very lmiited and very supervised... i mean i might as well be smelling butts lmao...

chyna on the other hand, is pretty DA and it is gettin a little more difficult since we have gotten kenya. chyna protects her pack now that kenya is older, and she doesnt like any other dogs around. so chyna and i usually go hikin and hang out on the beaches but always on leash...

but the way i look at it is, just enjoy ur dog with U.... forget about other strange new dogs.... no reason to waste ur quality time with something that could potentionally go bad

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I was doing that was because I was told if you dont then they will develop DA. She loves other dogs right now, never even play nipped at the others when I lived back north. The only thing I have ever seen is other dogs dont like her to much. When I first moved here I went for a walk and someone left their two collies out and the one hated her and nipped at her while the other seemed to want to play. There is a leash law here so I picked my Layla up and kicked the other dog till it went away. Im a runner and I have had to get many dogs from chasing me and that seems to work. I just dont want Layla to turn out like that dog.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
agreed with above... pitbulls dont necesarrily need to be around other dogs. spend quality time with ur dog walkng downtown, lakes, let him explore the world and gett him used to all the noises...

i got lucky with kenya, she hasnt shown any DA (yet). so im am enjoying the dog interaction she gets but it is still very lmiited and very supervised... i mean i might as well be smelling butts lmao...

chyna on the other hand, is pretty DA and it is gettin a little more difficult since we have gotten kenya. chyna protects her pack now that kenya is older, and she doesnt like any other dogs around. so chyna and i usually go hikin and hang out on the beaches but always on leash...

but the way i look at it is, just enjoy ur dog with U.... forget about other strange new dogs.... no reason to waste ur quality time with something that could potentionally go bad
I agree.. Look at it how Dan said too.. Your dog is for your pleasure and he lives to PLEASE YOU! It doesn't matter wether he'll warm up to other dogs or not. However, if you do come in contact with a dog that he doesnt show aggression to, it could potentially be a dog that he would enjoy playing with.

they could be buddies! ... :cheers:

·
Registered
386 Posts
DA is in them. There is really nothing you can do to take it out. There's no guarantee it will flare up really bad, but there is nothing you can do sway it. If its gonna happen, its gonna happen. The other dogs don't like her because they can sense that she is a power breed. The thing with Layla is protecting her from society and its sentiments about the breed. Layla won't turn out like that other dog because you CAN'T put her in that position. Say shes around stranger dogs and her instinct kicks in. For most dogs that would be fine. But your dog is gonna be blamed no matter what happens. The only dogs I care about Remy getting along with is the other dogs in the house. As far as stranger dogs, could care less. I don't want to roll the dice. Don't look at the future like she is gonna be around alot of dogs all the time, its very likely she won't be able to. I'm kinda operating under the assumption that my dog is gonna be DA.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You have a pit bull... dog socialization may not be the best thing. You never know when your pup will decide it wants to eat other dogs for breakfast LOL. The dogs should be close to there owners it means they are responsible have you tried walking her up to these responsible owners and asking if your dog can sniff? Personally i socialized grizz in puppy class and around town but now i could care less how he feels about other dogs. My dogs are for my enjoyment not somebody elses and not some other dogs. Maverick is "dog socialized" just how i like um LMAO! nice and DA hehe. People socialization is crucial you can accomplish that by taking them downtown or on walks where there are lots of people, things, noises, lights, colors, bikes. As for dog socialization with Pit Bulls it can be tricky they may only like dogs they are familiar with and be EXTREMELY DA to strange dogs... they may be agro towards all dogs... they may not be agro towards any. If you wanna find out walk up to those responsible owners you notice and ask politely for a nice meet and greet with your dogs. Keep your dog onleash and i would reccomend only approaching people whos dogs are leashed also. Choose the dog you approach wisely you want to socialize her with calm dogs with good energy not hyper or shy dogs. With a young pit bull every experience with other dogs should be EXTREMELY controlled and make sure everythign goes smooth as exlax. Hope this helped.
i second this. Peanut is wonderful with people we take him around people all the time however i keep him away from other dogs anyways. first he has shown some DA and second i dont need him to pick up who knows what from other peoples dogs.
personally i feel that owning a pit bull means your dog doesnt really have "dog friends". Peanut was raised with 2 other pitbulls at my house since the day we got him and he is great with them never showed any aggression to them however he doesnt like other dogs getting close to him. which to me means even if they are socialized you cant guarentee with this breed you will have a dog that gets along with other dogs.
IMHO if you want your dog to have a dog friend the best thing to do is either depending on your situation, have another dog of your own or have a close friend that has a dog visit your dog all the time so that they are used to each other. even at that you need to be prepared that even they may eventually not get along for whatever reason.
the thing to remember with this breed is that they were bred to be dog aggressive and no matter how hard you try sometimes you will never be able to work that out of them its natural to them. if you have a DA dog you just have to accept that and make adjustments to keep your dog safe by keeping it away from other dogs and just let her have people friends insted. these dogs are not to be human aggressive so your best bet is to make sure you human socialize your dog so it can have human friends insted.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I agree with Dan, definitely. Just try it and see how it goes. China is DA with strange dogs and loves only those in her pack. So it's not a big deal to me that I can't take her to dog parks etc. She's mine anyways! =)
heheh must be the name... my chyna is the SAME way lol.. her pack only lol

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
DA is in them. There is really nothing you can do to take it out. There's no guarantee it will flare up really bad, but there is nothing you can do sway it. If its gonna happen, its gonna happen. The other dogs don't like her because they can sense that she is a power breed. The thing with Layla is protecting her from society and its sentiments about the breed. Layla won't turn out like that other dog because you CAN'T put her in that position. Say shes around stranger dogs and her instinct kicks in. For most dogs that would be fine. But your dog is gonna be blamed no matter what happens. The only dogs I care about Remy getting along with is the other dogs in the house. As far as stranger dogs, could care less. I don't want to roll the dice. Don't look at the future like she is gonna be around alot of dogs all the time, its very likely she won't be able to. I'm kinda operating under the assumption that my dog is gonna be DA.
:goodpost:i honestly think, every pitbull owner should have this mantality.... JMO

the thing to remember with this breed is that they were bred to be dog aggressive and no matter how hard you try sometimes you will never be able to work that out of them its natural to them. if you have a DA dog you just have to accept that and make adjustments to keep your dog safe by keeping it away from other dogs and just let her have people friends insted. these dogs are not to be human aggressive so your best bet is to make sure you human socialize your dog so it can have human friends insted.
couldnt say it any better... all u need to worry about if ur little pack at home, otherwise there is no reason to worry about strange new dogs

i wanted to clarify somethin for u too... u mentioned that somone said "if u dont socialize they will end up being aggressive" thats not the case. the way it is, is pitbulls (every kind) all have some form of DA in their blood. its just want makes a pitbull a pitbull. they see humans as "their pack" they dont look at other dogs like just some other dogs. they look like potentional beings to take over their pack.

so with that being said, its great to socialze and play with new dogs when ur dog is still a puppy, but the MOMENT u see ur dog gettin uncomfortable (signs all owners should know) then its time to put an end to play time. your dog is growing up and coming into age where "the pack" is the most important thing to them. im not saying it will happen to every pitbull, becuz it wont, and im not saying it will happen at 4 months, 10 months, 3 years or 12 years. every dog is different. kenya is 9months and hasnt shown DA, but best beleive im waitin for it...

just gotta be on ur toes. hope this helped. and GOOD thread

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The only socialization you should be doing is to introduce her to different surrounding. If you have a pet store you can take her to the park so she sees children running around and screaming. The vet hospital so she doesn't think it is just a horrible place. A trail where there are bikes and rollerbladers around.

APBT=DA. The two go together like PB and J.

·
Registered
319 Posts
mugsy is one of the most peaceful loving dog around all ppl and most dogs. i lucked out with him..lol....but u gotta be careful cuz they can snap very fast....i wouldnt really wortry about socializing your dog with other dogs if shes over a year because thats when mugsy started to change and become more aggresive. the cool thing thogh is my neighbors have agreed that to try to help i can introduce him through the fences which helps a little and was very nice of them:) so now he doesnt really wanna chew on another dog but his a lil nasty sometimes

·
Registered
771 Posts
China won't even let our neighbors dogs near the fence or she tries to tear through it. I'm going to try and work that out of her this summer when the muddy pen dries up some more. We'll see. It'll be nice to at least get her to be civil around the neighbor's dog. Especially since Rambo (neighbor's Rotti) comes with the neighbor on our land all the time to say hi and talk to us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts