Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to this forum. I adopted a 7 month old black and white pit bull about two and a half weeks ago from the local humane society. I chose him because he has a white mark on his chest and I have a white birth mark on my neck so I felt like we were meant for one another. :) I attached a photo, he is such a handsome boy. he loves to rip the stuffing out of pillows and lay on it. (But I do not let him chew pillows anymore because I am so afraid he will choke on the stuffing!)
Anyways, so this is quite long but I am trying to include as much detail/info as I can about my dog and hopefully it will help with some of the advice I get from you :) the main point of my post was to ask the best way to introduce my new pup to other dogs . When we go on walks I have been training him to sit at the curb before we walk across the street, he sits when someone is walking/running by I say "no greet" and he whines but is getting much better at sitting and waiting for them to pass. I can run/walk with him without him pulling on the leash, I am just working on getting him to stay on one side because sometimes he likes to cross in front of me and I have to jump to avoid tripping. (Which I'm sure is hilarious for everyone driving past.) He is very smart and is learning very quickly. All of that aside, he gets VERY excited when he sees other dogs, that is the point where he WILL pull on the leash and bark. If the other dog does not bark I can redirect him easily. But when the other dog barks a lot he gets excited and barks and tries to pull me towards the dog. My new technique is to have treats on my walk, if I see a dog approaching I have him sit and face me (away from the other dog) and when he gets excited I have him turn in a circle and face away from the dog I say "calm, calm, calm" and at home I put my hands up and say "calm" and that immediately puts him at ease. I know this technique cannot go on forever because I do not want my dog to feel that he is not allowed to greet and or acknowledge other dogs, I think that would only reinforce negative ideas about other dogs. (right now he has kennel cough so he cannot be around dogs for another week, which is why I am hoping to get doggy introduction ideas now)
My mother has a small 10lb dog. My family gets together often and I would like to introduce them. But before doing so I want to get feedback on the best way to introduce them. should I have him meet my mother and father first? When we introduced him to my bfs children we had them wait at the door, had him sit. we waited till gaudi was calm, then we had each one step up towards him, stand still and allow him to smell them, after smelling them we allowed them to pet him and each one of them told him to "SIT" and once he sat, he was rewarded with a treat and a "good boy" I wanted him to know he must LISTEN and RESPECT them as a part of our family. This worked for Gaudi, is there any other way you have found introduction people to be effective for your dog?

I hope my information helps, thank you all for you time! :)

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Sounds like you're doing the right thing for the reactivity. I do something similar with my dogs by making them focus on me rather than the trigger.

Is your dog typically dog-friendly once he greets another dog? My advice would be to have them meet in a neutral area away from either home and take a walk together before interacting in a house or yard they're familiar with. This way neither one gets territorial over their space.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you're doing the right thing for the reactivity. I do something similar with my dogs by making them focus on me rather than the trigger.

Is your dog typically dog-friendly once he greets another dog? My advice would be to have them meet in a neutral area away from either home and take a walk together before interacting in a house or yard they're familiar with. This way neither one gets territorial over their space.
Well I took him to the vet within a week of having him and he was diagnosed with kennel cough so I haven't had him around other dogs and when people walk by I tell them he had Bord. so that is why I am not allowing my dog to greet theirs. I would not want their dog to get it as well.
I have not witnessed him interact with other dogs at this point.
At the humane society I was told he had previously lived with two children between 2-10 and a cat. When He barks at other dogs he does not seem angry or like he wants to tear the dog apart, it's more like O.M.G I NEED to SNIFF THEM/ I NEED TO GREET THEM...although that's my interpretation. (who knows if i'm right at this point) hence, why I want to make sure he is introduced to other dogs the proper way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of taking them for a walk and having them meet in a neutral place. That's a great idea.

I'm going to ask a family member to meet us on a walk and pretend to be a stranger then work with Gaudi on the proper way to approach people. I think we will start there then have my mother introduce her dog that same way. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

Just do you know, it is common for these types of dogs to be dog-selective or dog aggressive. This is normal so don't be alarmed if he doesn't get along with other dogs. That's not to say that it will happen, just an advance warning. Make sure all interactions are controlled on-leash. :)

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I like the idea of taking them for a walk and having them meet in a neutral place. That's a great idea.

I'm going to ask a family member to meet us on a walk and pretend to be a stranger then work with Gaudi on the proper way to approach people. I think we will start there then have my mother introduce her dog that same way. Thank you!
That's the best way in my opinion. My dogs are not ok with strange dogs greeting them, but we introduced my brother in laws dog that way and it worked well. We just started walking the same direction, but on opposite sides of the street. After a bit I would move over a little closer and continue walking, once they are ok with that distance I would move over even closer as we continued walking. We took our time doing that, and eventually the dogs were walking side by side. Obviously it needs to be done on a back road with less cars, but if a car does come just move back over to the opposite side. Once the car has past just work your way back to the distance you were before...Oh and welcome to the forum:) I would love to see pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wow i'm seriously having some tech. issues over here lol I'm trying to figure out this online link thing. Usually I just upload from my computer. I used to think I was tech savvy, this is really making me question my abilities. :)

I tried to insert a link via fb but the picture didn't upload hmmmm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the best way in my opinion. My dogs are not ok with strange dogs greeting them, but we introduced my brother in laws dog that way and it worked well. We just started walking the same direction, but on opposite sides of the street. After a bit I would move over a little closer and continue walking, once they are ok with that distance I would move over even closer as we continued walking. We took our time doing that, and eventually the dogs were walking side by side. Obviously it needs to be done on a back road with less cars, but if a car does come just move back over to the opposite side. Once the car has past just work your way back to the distance you were before...Oh and welcome to the forum:) I would love to see pictures!
that's a wonderful idea! I am def. going to try that. I talked to my family about it last night and they are more concerned about their dog b/c although she weighs ten points she thinks she is this 100lb beast and is so yappy and tries to nip at other dogs :-/ ugh so I'm just going to keep him on a leash and hopefully if I remain calm he will feed off that energy. Fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
wow i'm seriously having some tech. issues over here lol I'm trying to figure out this online link thing. Usually I just upload from my computer. I used to think I was tech savvy, this is really making me question my abilities. :)

I tried to insert a link via fb but the picture didn't upload hmmmm...
You will have to host the pictures on another site, many use Photobucket. Then in your post click on the little yellow icon (insert image) and copy the URL address into the dialog box. If you need more help let us know. We all love pictures here.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will have to host the pictures on another site, many use Photobucket. Then in your post click on the little yellow icon (insert image) and copy the URL address into the dialog box. If you need more help let us know. We all love pictures here.

Joe
oh wonderful! thank you!
here we go let's try again...

He always has to find the biggest stick he can on our walks!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
he's handsome. looks a little like staffy bull.
careful with his paws if your area uses road salt. or the neighbors salt the sidewalks. it will eat up the foot pads. paw protection is cheap though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he's handsome. looks a little like staffy bull.
careful with his paws if your area uses road salt. or the neighbors salt the sidewalks. it will eat up the foot pads. paw protection is cheap though.[/QUO

Thank you! he has a beautiful coat. His chest has really filled out in the past two and a half weeks, my baby is growing up ;(

oh thanks! I've been trying to wipe his paws off when we come inside but he has been licking his paws lately so that must be why. I'll def. buy some booties today. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
What a handsome boy!

Taking a walk with the other dog is definitely the way to go. Gradually move closer together - always keeping an eye on your dog for signs that he's uncomfortable or stressed. Lip licking, tail held straight back and not waving, tensing up, stuff like that. Eventually, when you're walking side by side, let the dogs sniff each other's butts. It sounds funny to us, but for dogs, butt sniffing is polite. Face to face greeting is rude.

It might take a few sessions of walking like this for the dogs to calm down with each other. Or they might simply not be comfortable together. It's better to find that out while on a walk with both of them on leash and controlled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts