Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have a 2 year old dog that is been really great with my 11 week old pitbull.
He plays with him gently enough, plays keep away with a toy and will drop the toy so my pup can grab it sometimes.

It's mostly my pup chasing him around. Sometimes they stop and smell each other.
Occasionally I will call them over and give them both a treat. They sit nicely by each other during this time.

But my puppy bites so much. he bites my socks. sometimes he bites my hand.
He has a small understanding of the word no but not much of one.

I don't discipline him yet bc he is so young, hasn't developed a bond of trust with me, doesn't understand much, etc

But it seems most of the play time is him chasing this other dog.
Yesterday he latched onto its but for 3 seconds and the dog yelped so I took him away and they haven't played together again yet.

Normally what I would do is take them on a walk together but my pup is still 6 weeks away from his complete vaccinations and he isn't allowed to go for walks.

How do I socialize these two dogs in a more friendly manner when i can't do any walking with them?

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
In a nutshell, bull breeds are genetically predisposed to dog aggression. That being said, closely monitored interactions are a possibility. Maybe not forever, but for now. The puppy sounds like it may have been pulled early from it's litter mates and didn't learn boundaries. So your older dog may teach the pup boundaries, but you have to watch carefully to protect them from injury. Teach the puppy a leave it command and it will make things a lot easier on you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a nutshell, bull breeds are genetically predisposed to dog aggression. That being said, closely monitored interactions are a possibility. Maybe not forever, but for now. The puppy sounds like it may have been pulled early from it's litter mates and didn't learn boundaries. So your older dog may teach the pup boundaries, but you have to watch carefully to protect them from injury. Teach the puppy a leave it command and it will make things a lot easier on you.
thanks ill try those activities you recommended

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are doing well not to go out to socialize before vaccinating, and you must wait until the age to vaccinate is completed. But one thing you should do is insist that it behave when you order it and you should do it more now that it is a puppy 🐶. If you don't do it from now on then he's going to be very rebellious :mad: when he gets older.

Here I share a publication about a training concept called "Respect Training" is very interesting for Pitbulls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts