Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I posted not too long ago about the pet bull that I was helping a friend of mine train, btw, the dog is coming along nicely ;) The owners have both adhered to the training, well the guy but I am having problems with the woman. Let me explain......

She is a 47 year old woman with no kids, never had any, she has had the pit/rott mix since she was a puppy and Zoey, the dog is now 5 years old, very loving and gentle and with the right guidance and constant daily reminders she has great manners. Not spayed either btw. Then there is Mayce, a just over a year old pit, who had no manners and is a total spaz and I mean that literally, before I came here she was jumping all over people and nipping and OMG the licking, that's right, we have mastered that and as long as you tell her "No Lick" she keeps her tongue to herself, lol. The nipping has come along well also, she didn't like it when I stuck my thumbs inside her jaw and applied pressure and told her "no teeth". Mayce is also intact.
Now both females are great dogs and get along well together, they leave them at home uncrated with toys everywhere and have yet to have an accident. I have been trying to get the mom-lady to listen to me about this and about playing fetch with both girls, it really is just a fight waiting to happen, we got into a bit of a heated discussion last night, course we had both been drinking, but she told me we would have to agree to disagree. I told her that was fine, I sorta sound like a ya know, but I don't know how else to get my point across that she is setting these girls up for failure.

Now I do carry my breakstick in my overnight bag, don't ask me why I just do, lol. So if anything happens I am here but what if I am not and I come back to find out they have had an accident, I will not say I told you so but I just don't want it to come to that, there are no shows coming up anytime soon near by that I could take her to for her to talk to or see these dogs. And she says it can't happen cause Zoey is a mix and we are unsure of Mayce lineage, but she is a smaller version of my red boy, Phoenix, weighing in at about 50lbs if that.

So I guess I need help in explaining all of this in a way that she won't take it the wrong way!! Thanks all, HUGS :D

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Can you get her to come on GP and at least read a few of the threads explaining the outcome of two pits in a home unsupervised? How at anytime a fight can arise especially with two intact bitches. What is her reasons for not spaying them anyway? Didn't you post a thread on the pit/rott mix before on if she was to old to spay? If my mind remembers correctly lol!

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Some people are so ignorant and don't want to listen to anything that they don't agree with.I was gonna suggest maybe seeing if she would come over here and get educated too_Other than that I'd have to think about something else to tell her.
I don't envy you here Tye.I hate dealing with stupid people who won't listen.Sometimes it's better to let them live and learn.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Wish I had some advice Tye. I guess maybe try telling her horror stories from a few of the members here.

I don't know Ecko's lineage, but I've had to pull him off a Newfoundland before. He's a rescue, no papers.

Try to get her on here and let some folks teach her for you. :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Unfortunately some people need to learn the hard way as they refuse all reason. It truly sounds like this lady has no business with this breed, not everyone should have one.

Are they crate trained at all? Maybe approach the same situation from a different angle. If they are crated they cant get into anything they aren't supposed to, no accidents, etc. If shes not willing all you can do is move on its unfortunate but as i said, not everyone needs this breed and some learn the hard way.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Pull up this site next time she's around and have her read one of those threads. It might help change her mind.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you get her to come on GP and at least read a few of the threads explaining the outcome of two pits in a home unsupervised? How at anytime a fight can arise especially with two intact bitches. What is her reasons for not spaying them anyway? Didn't you post a thread on the pit/rott mix before on if she was to old to spay? If my mind remembers correctly lol!
I am going to suggest it, she told me when I cam to train them that she had done all sorts of research but never gave me places she went to on the net to find out, so I am not sure where her knowledge comes from. But I have asked her to come here, I may try a little harder, she will get addicted to this place like I did, lol. We are actually setting up the appt for the younger one very soon, she just recently got back intot he work force to be able to afford it, I know kinda lame cause there are low cost s/n clinics here, but that is what she said. And yes I did post about the pit/rott mix before, but htey are dead set on not getting her spayed cause of her age.

Some people are so ignorant and don't want to listen to anything that they don't agree with.I was gonna suggest maybe seeing if she would come over here and get educated too_Other than that I'd have to think about something else to tell her.
I don't envy you here Tye.I hate dealing with stupid people who won't listen.Sometimes it's better to let them live and learn.
The sad thing is, she called me about training and help with Mayce, so I thought she would listen to me, she did at first but has gone back and is hindering Mayce training with herself, saying she doesn't want her personality to change cause of the dominance issue, it's not bad as she doesn't do it with me, cause I put her in her place from day one, they are her kids to her and I am trying to make her see the light that even still they are just dogs.
If she weren't my friend I would leave it alone, I just know how she will react when she comes home to mauled dogs or a dead one and I don't want that.
And you are correct about living and learning, it may come to that just don't want it too. Hate for people to have to go thru that, ya know?

Wish I had some advice Tye. I guess maybe try telling her horror stories from a few of the members here.

I don't know Ecko's lineage, but I've had to pull him off a Newfoundland before. He's a rescue, no papers.

Try to get her on here and let some folks teach her for you. :)
I have told her the horror story of my boys and the two fights they got into, seems it doesn't phase her, I have even shown her the pictures of the aftermath, I would love for her to hear it form others though, may drive the point home, lol. Thanks girl, and a Newfy really, wow :p

Unfortunately some people need to learn the hard way as they refuse all reason. It truly sounds like this lady has no business with this breed, not everyone should have one.

Are they crate trained at all? Maybe approach the same situation from a different angle. If they are crated they cant get into anything they aren't supposed to, no accidents, etc. If shes not willing all you can do is move on its unfortunate but as i said, not everyone needs this breed and some learn the hard way.
Ya know T, I know you're right and it's what I think as well but these people are my friends and I want what's best for the dogs and she won't crate the dogs I have already tried to talk to her about that as well. Ughh this si so frustrating. And you are right again about not everyone owning this breed, trust me I know this. I appreciate the feedback I will see if I can approach it with new eyes.

Pull up this site next time she's around and have her read one of those threads. It might help change her mind.
Thanks Krystal, I see it is the concensus so I will have to go with that, maybe I can get her to join here, will just have to talk to her and see. :shrug: lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
if she isnt willing to join, can you print out a few threads and have her read them?

What bothers me is since you are training them her coming back and saying you didn't train them well enough if they d fight, so glad you are covering your bases.

I also agree you can't convince everyone, and I am pretty sure some of the people who have gone through it, NEVER would have thought it would happen to them either, and now they know. Live and learn and just hope the pups don't suffer because of her her ignorance.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if she isnt willing to join, can you print out a few threads and have her read them?

What bothers me is since you are training them her coming back and saying you didn't train them well enough if they d fight, so glad you are covering your bases.

I also agree you can't convince everyone, and I am pretty sure some of the people who have gone through it, NEVER would have thought it would happen to them either, and now they know. Live and learn and just hope the pups don't suffer because of her her ignorance.
Ahhhh Amy printing things out is a great idea, didn't think of that.

It's not that she thinks I am not training them well enough, because when I play with the dogs or anything I do it with one on one time, even when we do OB on walks and stuff, she jsut comes behind me, well it's not that, she was reseptive at first but it's like now that she sees how the dog is with me and thinks she is loosing her personality but Mayce comes to me for love and play more than she does her, lol.

And I just happen to be one of those people, I never in a million years would have thought my boys would have gotten into it and I set them up to fail and when the second fight happened, it was crate and rotate time, it worked so well amongst the three of them ;) Thanks girl :D

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Yeah especially when it comes to friends no one wants to let it go that far, however theres only so much you can do and in the end its out of your control.

If tension is too great with that particular subject it may also be best to continue your help with training but set this on the back burner for a week or two to let things simmer down some, gather more information and approach it from a new perspective. Theres no point in you two getting to a point where you don't talk any more over it and thats a sure fire way of being counter productive.

Good luck.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah especially when it comes to friends no one wants to let it go that far, however theres only so much you can do and in the end its out of your control.

If tension is too great with that particular subject it may also be best to continue your help with training but set this on the back burner for a week or two to let things simmer down some, gather more information and approach it from a new perspective. Theres no point in you two getting to a point where you don't talk any more over it and thats a sure fire way of being counter productive.

Good luck.
You are right and I know there is only so much that can be done, and I don't want to loose them as friends, they are good people. And thanks for the advice in bold, this is a great idea.

ANd thanks for the luck, I feel I will need it with her, lol

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Alright, so I posted not too long ago about the pet bull that I was helping a friend of mine train, btw, the dog is coming along nicely ;) The owners have both adhered to the training, well the guy but I am having problems with the woman. Let me explain......

She is a 47 year old woman with no kids, never had any, she has had the pit/rott mix since she was a puppy and Zoey, the dog is now 5 years old, very loving and gentle and with the right guidance and constant daily reminders she has great manners. Not spayed either btw. Then there is Mayce, a just over a year old pit, who had no manners and is a total spaz and I mean that literally, before I came here she was jumping all over people and nipping and OMG the licking, that's right, we have mastered that and as long as you tell her "No Lick" she keeps her tongue to herself, lol. The nipping has come along well also, she didn't like it when I stuck my thumbs inside her jaw and applied pressure and told her "no teeth". Mayce is also intact.
Now both females are great dogs and get along well together, they leave them at home uncrated with toys everywhere and have yet to have an accident. I have been trying to get the mom-lady to listen to me about this and about playing fetch with both girls, it really is just a fight waiting to happen, we got into a bit of a heated discussion last night, course we had both been drinking, but she told me we would have to agree to disagree. I told her that was fine, I sorta sound like a ya know, but I don't know how else to get my point across that she is setting these girls up for failure.

Now I do carry my breakstick in my overnight bag, don't ask me why I just do, lol. So if anything happens I am here but what if I am not and I come back to find out they have had an accident, I will not say I told you so but I just don't want it to come to that, there are no shows coming up anytime soon near by that I could take her to for her to talk to or see these dogs. And she says it can't happen cause Zoey is a mix and we are unsure of Mayce lineage, but she is a smaller version of my red boy, Phoenix, weighing in at about 50lbs if that.

So I guess I need help in explaining all of this in a way that she won't take it the wrong way!! Thanks all, HUGS :D
I would buy her a break stick as a gift and do a one on one with her showing her how to properly use it. Tell her why they are important and explain to her that she should keep the break stick with her at all times. Also let her know it's much easier and lest costly to take preventative measures than having to use the break and end up with a costly vet visit from fighting wounds.

Have her read this :

Pit Bull Rescue Central

And watch this

And then you two can practice together on her dogs so she can get the idea of how to use the break stick.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG girl I have never watched that video but I was taught how to use a breakstick by someone else, lol. But this is great info, thanks a ton girl. We are supposed to be going to my vet this weekend gonna see if I can get him to say something to her as well. ANd she has seen my breakstick and asked me why I carry it, and I have told her why so I am gonna get her one, thanks a tong girlie, Hugs

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah sometimes we as friends can't always tell each other things so you kind of have to let her see it and hear it from someone else ;) If you kind of just show her the video and let her read that site for herself it doesn't come off as you trying to push your beliefs on to her. Rather it's more fact that these are practiced methods by responsible APBT owners and she will see that and think hmmm maybe Tye does know what she is talking about and maybe she does have my best interest at heart. And after she reads and watches the video you two can practice together so she can practice and get use to the feel of it. At least if you show her and something happens she can't say you didn't tell her so. If she doesn't listen after this than wash your hands with it she will have to learn the hard way you did everything you could to help her and that is all that will matter. Good Luck and please let us know how it turns out.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Sadie, i will for sure and yeah I will wash my hands of it if she doesn't listen after all this, lol.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I am going to suggest it, she told me when I cam to train them that she had done all sorts of research but never gave me places she went to on the net to find out, so I am not sure where her knowledge comes from. But I have asked her to come here, I may try a little harder, she will get addicted to this place like I did, lol. We are actually setting up the appt for the younger one very soon, she just recently got back intot he work force to be able to afford it, I know kinda lame cause there are low cost s/n clinics here, but that is what she said. And yes I did post about the pit/rott mix before, but htey are dead set on not getting her spayed cause of her age.
But she is only 5 :hammer: that isn't old at all to be fixed. Tye, I know you are all about S/N and educating people on it. Is she aware of the fact that as her bitch gets older she may have to deal with Pyometra? After the age of 8 or 9 it is more common in intact females. Then her spay will be an emergency and far more expensive. I just don't get people's way of thinking......they irk me LOL!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Whoaaaa good luck Tye. Just smack her with a breaking stick and say here ya go. You will need this and I don't want I told you so's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sometimes it's not the message, but the messenger...for example...I know someone who seeks out my opinion on a subject that I am an expert on...then argues with me and disregards anything I say.He's competitive with me and that's how it comes out... meanwhile, a random stranger gives him the same advice, and he triumphantly tells me that he's solved his problem, and how. He doesn't recognize that if he'd listened to me in the first place, it would already have been solved, because he doesn't really hear what I say.
Maybe there's someone else who can tell this lady the same thing u r trying to.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But she is only 5 :hammer: that isn't old at all to be fixed. Tye, I know you are all about S/N and educating people on it. Is she aware of the fact that as her bitch gets older she may have to deal with Pyometra? After the age of 8 or 9 it is more common in intact females. Then her spay will be an emergency and far more expensive. I just don't get people's way of thinking......they irk me LOL!
I know and I told them that my vet would do it, I have already called him and asked and he said there would be no risk to her at all. And yes I am all about s/n and educating, and I have told her abotu Pyometra as well and how much that will cost and they don't wanna listen, ughhh makes me wanna *facepalm* And I feel ya girl they irk me too.

Whoaaaa good luck Tye. Just smack her with a breaking stick and say here ya go. You will need this and I don't want I told you so's.
lmaoooo Freddie, I have thought about this as well :p

Sometimes it's not the message, but the messenger...for example...I know someone who seeks out my opinion on a subject that I am an expert on...then argues with me and disregards anything I say.He's competitive with me and that's how it comes out... meanwhile, a random stranger gives him the same advice, and he triumphantly tells me that he's solved his problem, and how. He doesn't recognize that if he'd listened to me in the first place, it would already have been solved, because he doesn't really hear what I say.
Maybe there's someone else who can tell this lady the same thing u r trying to.
Joe that is a good point and if I knew someone else around here with the knowledge I have I would soooo let them talk to her. Hmmmm thank you for the advice I appreciate it :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts