Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 4 month old American Pit Bull Terrier named Hercules. He's just the friendliest little guy and best puppy I've ever had 馃槆 however having this particular breed brings all kinds of unwanted attention, both good and bad.

Okay, so picture it... I'm taking Hercules outside this morning to go potty, minding our own business. A gentleman passes us and asks if he can meet Hercules, and I say yes. We get into the usual casual conversation about him...what kind of dog he is, what's his name, how old is he, etc. When I tell this man that he's 4 months, he looks taken aback. He proceeds to tell me that Hercules is "far too small to be 4 months old" and tells me that I should be extremely concerned about his size.

Baffled, I tell the gentleman that my vet is not concerned about his body condition and never mentioned anything about him being too small. The man vehemently disagrees and urges me to find a new vet, because he "knows dogs" and "knows what he is talking about".

Now at the time, in my head I'm thinking...sure dude, you know way more about dogs than a person who literally went to school for years to become a veterinarian. But...now I'm having a bit of anxiety about it and I want to see if any of you agree with the gentleman's sentiments that my pup is too small. What do you think?

Attachments

Registered
Beautiful puppy! I'd go with your Vets advice. In my reading these dogs sizes can be all over the board, depending on genetics mainly. There are bigger/smaller strains, and like people, come in different shapes and sizes. You don't list his height/weight for
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Flooring
comparison. My APBT Pete is a little larger than average these days at 5 month, but still has a lot of growing to do. Hes 55 lbs and about 20" at the shoulders so far. At 4 months he was 40 lbs and 16". My Vet said with his big feet, hell be a big boy, but who knows? He may not be as big as some, but still be a very happy, healthy pup! I've heard their growth spurt starts around 6 - 9 months. Then you'll see him grow! Keep posting pics!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Beautiful puppy! I'd go with your Vets advice. In my reading these dogs sizes can be all over the board, depending on genetics mainly. There are bigger/smaller strains, and like people, come in different shapes and sizes. You don't list his height/weight for View attachment 90606 comparison. My APBT Pete is a little larger than average these days at 5 month, but still has a lot of growing to do. Hes 55 lbs and about 20" at the shoulders so far. At 4 months he was 40 lbs and 16". My Vet said with his big feet, hell be a big boy, but who knows? He may not be as big as some, but still be a very happy, healthy pup! I've heard their growth spurt starts around 6 - 9 months. Then you'll see him grow! Keep posting pics!
I definitely know he's currently 16.5" at the shoulder. I haven't weighed him recently, but if I had to guess I'd say maybe between 28 lbs and 30 lbs? I could be wrong though. He's the largest of his litter and towers over his litter mates. I always thought he was rather large for his age haha! That's why I was so confused by what this man said.

You have a beautiful pup and he looks like he is going to be a big boy!!! Here's more pics of mine, just because I like showing him off 馃お
Dog Collar Working animal Carnivore Pet supply

Registered
He'll be taking off in major growth spurts soon! From 4-5 months Pete put put on 10 lbs and still seems like he's growing daily! Bad part is he still thinks hes a little 10 lb. "lap dog"! Lol. Keep him fed with good food, plenty of exercise and he'll be a good looking dog! There are several growth charts online, but he seems to be on course, and in the normal range.

Registered
So I have a 4 month old American Pit Bull Terrier named Hercules. He's just the friendliest little guy and best puppy I've ever had 馃槆 however having this particular breed brings all kinds of unwanted attention, both good and bad.

Okay, so picture it... I'm taking Hercules outside this morning to go potty, minding our own business. A gentleman passes us and asks if he can meet Hercules, and I say yes. We get into the usual casual conversation about him...what kind of dog he is, what's his name, how old is he, etc. When I tell this man that he's 4 months, he looks taken aback. He proceeds to tell me that Hercules is "far too small to be 4 months old" and tells me that I should be extremely concerned about his size.

Baffled, I tell the gentleman that my vet is not concerned about his body condition and never mentioned anything about him being too small. The man vehemently disagrees and urges me to find a new vet, because he "knows dogs" and "knows what he is talking about".

Now at the time, in my head I'm thinking...sure dude, you know way more about dogs than a person who literally went to school for years to become a veterinarian. But...now I'm having a bit of anxiety about it and I want to see if any of you agree with the gentleman's sentiments that my pup is too small. What do you think?
There's nothing wrong with his size! He's healthy and not all of them are monsters (size). People have said similar things about mine but he's a part of our family so there's no need in building him up. He's healthy and spoiled. That's what matters, my dog isn't huge but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Registered
Funniest part is Pete is a Rescue Pup we got at 13 weeks. Our house and yard aren't huge, but average. My wife and I were actually hoping he would be one if the smaller examples, as we already have a grown female black Lab. My Vet has 2 Pits, and said after looking in his mouth, and commented on his big feet.... "oh my he's going to be a big boy!" ... we knew we were in for a handful! Turns out he is definitely a high energy puppy, but absolutely the sweetest puppy I've ever seen. With his personality I don't care if he's 55 lbs or 105 lbs!!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts