Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all! My name is Kari and I live on a 150 acre chunk of land bordered by gamelands in the middle of nowhere with my boyfriend of six years and our Boston Terrier/Lab pooch, Rambo. A friend of mine had an accidental litter and I have decided to take one of the puppies. I've been wanting another dog for a while and initially planned on a rescue but this situation just popped up and I took it as a sign. The puppy was born on January 15th and I'll be able to take him home on March 11th. He's a handsome dark brindle boy and I'm thrilled to take him in.

I'm really hoping that Rambo will get along well with her new little brother. We're going to be naming him Chewbacca, by the way, and calling him Chewby for short! Any tips on how to prepare to raise a pit puppy? I raised Rambo from when she was a puppy but I'm just wondering about breed specifics I should keep in mind. Any links to excellent resources? Anything would be appreciated! Rambo is spayed and I'll be having Chewby neutered, as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
First off, Welcome. Great place to come for some advice. Listen with an open mind and know we all love the breed's. here is good advice for ANYONE taking a home a new pet, no matter the age or the dog:
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/5288-new-puppy-owners.html

Typically Pit Bull type dogs are not a dog known for needing other animal companions. Better chances that they will get along well are Spayed female and neutered male combinations. If You plan on having 2 males or 2 females both should to be neutered and spayed. Even with that said you need to prepare that one day, when your "puppy" grows, maybe even as early as 10 month more common at is 2-3 years old, Dog Aggression might start to pop. Its something you need to be aware of and prepared for to avoid costly vet bills. I have heard many stories about people with multiple dogs coming home to a blood bath because their dogs were left free to roam the house when they were not around. You can NEVER leave your dogs together or in the yard, together, unattended. When they are both grown they might even need to live separate and be crate and rotated. I always say plan for the worst so if it never happens you wont have to worry.

Here are some great suggestion on how to socialize your pup, keeping in mind it doesn't always mean with other dogs.

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38109-socializing.html

Let us know if you have any question and again, welcome. Look forward to seeing pictures of your pup when you get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the warm welcoming!

One of my concerns is definitely how my new pup will get along with my current dog. Rambo is a spayed female, only about thirty pounds, and very submissive. She will allow another dog to become possessive over her things and only walk away. She's about a year and a half old and energetic, definitely going to have a good time with a puppy to run around with. Chewby is a male and will absolutely be be neutered, so I'm hoping the two of them won't have issues.

As for keeping up on the parvo shots, we'll do that for sure! We keep Rambo up to date on everything and plan to do the same for Chewby. I stay home and will be supervising the dogs pretty much constantly so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep them in line. I plan to!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Thanks to all for the warm welcoming!

One of my concerns is definitely how my new pup will get along with my current dog. Rambo is a spayed female, only about thirty pounds, and very submissive. She will allow another dog to become possessive over her things and only walk away. She's about a year and a half old and energetic, definitely going to have a good time with a puppy to run around with. Chewby is a male and will absolutely be be neutered, so I'm hoping the two of them won't have issues.

As for keeping up on the parvo shots, we'll do that for sure! We keep Rambo up to date on everything and plan to do the same for Chewby. I stay home and will be supervising the dogs pretty much constantly so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep them in line. I plan to!
Welcome to the forum and hope we get to see some pictures soon :). I always say though with multiple dogs If you arent prepared to have to seperate and crate then dont get more then one. There is no Guarantee they will always get along and they may do well fo a year or so and then have it change so always be looking out. Dont leave alone when you arent home, Id crate train and always seperate when you arent watching them. Id say you have the best luck having 1 male and 1 female vs same sex dogs but again no guarantee. Id do some reading on dog aggression and crate training you might find it helpful. Not trying to scare you or anything just you need to be aware of potential issues, alot have multiple dogs and have no issues so hopefully you will be one of those. Just be prepared and educated enough about those issues where you can act properly and fast if needed. Best of luck, cant wait to see him :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts