Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of (ok ALOT) confused about the APBT/ Am Bully thing... i know that a lot of am. bullies are registered as apbts. but i kind of always thought the am. bully was just apbts that were bred to look more bullyish. (dont know if im making sense)? are they actually bred with something else way back in the blood line like an American Bulldog or English Bulldog or something. then that leads me to my back yard bred boy Tyson. would he be apbt or am. bully?
sorry if i sound like a complete idiot. i just read something that got be totally confused:confused::confused:

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
how big is he height and weight wise? also with out a ped or papers no way to tell for sure only guessing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how big is he height and weight wise? also with out a ped or papers no way to tell for sure only guessing.
his head hits about mid thigh and i'm 5'6. and he weighs right at 65- 70 pounds. so how does that work with the papers? i read somewhere on here a few minutes ago that most am bullies are registered as apbts so how would one tell if the papers all said apbt?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
his head hits about mid thigh and i'm 5'6. and he weighs right at 65- 70 pounds. so how does that work with the papers? i read somewhere on here a few minutes ago that most am bullies are registered as apbts so how would one tell if the papers all said apbt?
well you can tell by its pedegree im sure if you post his parents some one might be nice enough to look up his parents peds for you. the pedegree is where all the goodies are you find out who bred your dogs sire and dam and who the dog was and the grandparents and who they were and so on and so fourth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well you can tell by its pedegree im sure if you post his parents some one might be nice enough to look up his parents peds for you. the pedegree is where all the goodies are you find out who bred your dogs sire and dam and who the dog was and the grandparents and who they were and so on and so fourth.
unfortuanitly he doesn't have a pedegree. He was just the product of someone wanting to make a few bucks. I know nothing about his parents. never even seen pics of them but we love him just the same. :) i dont really care what people call him i just got a little confused by someones earlier post. i dont understand exactly what Am. Bullies are. Are they the product of slective breeding to look one way? or are they ampts crossed with another breed of dog way back?

·
Registered
287 Posts
unfortuanitly he doesn't have a pedegree. He was just the product of someone wanting to make a few bucks. I know nothing about his parents. never even seen pics of them but we love him just the same. :) i dont really care what people call him i just got a little confused by someones earlier post. i dont understand exactly what Am. Bullies are. Are they the product of slective breeding to look one way? or are they ampts crossed with another breed of dog way back?
Bullies are the product of cross breeding. The breeders who did this lied on their litter registration papers (what we call hanging the papers) and said they were breeding apbt to apbt when they were mixing in other breeds to get the look they wanted. They wanted to get a look that the apbt didn't have but still sell dogs under the name apbt. As for what your dog is, no one can say. If you don't have registration papers or know the lineage of your dog there is no way to tell aside from speculation. If you love your dog it doesnt really matter what he is, does it? If people ask just tell them what I told you.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
http://www.gopitbull.com/bullies-101/37997-whats-bully.html

try that post. truely american bullys are supposed to be a cross between gamebred apbts and show bred am staffs. its why way back in the peds for razor edge you might see gaff dogs(which are am staffs). am staffs originally branched off of apbts way back in the day so that they could get a fresh start away from the [] with the akc. they were then bred towards the show ring while the apbt kept on truckin and breeding for gameness with looks not really being important "He ain't got to be pretty on the chain when he's beautiful in the box"-Freddy Bowling.

read my post on this thread it explains the difference between the three types of dogs and it has pictures http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/37966-making-my-american-pit-bull-terrier-bigger-3.html#post453307

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thankyou! that is exactly what i was wondering!! thats what i thought origanally and what someone said in another post made me second guess my self! thanks so much

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
If he does not have papers he is not APBT or Bully as those are both breeds of dog, he is just an unpapered mix of un known linage. There nothing wrong with that, but you can't tell what a dog is for sure without papers ( even then sometimes its a toss up;))

·
Registered
546 Posts
He looks bully to me o__O I don't know that I've ever seen an apbt that large... heck he could be both mixed...the world may never know...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
only way to tell is by his ped, if he doesnt have papers ith his pedigree then he could be a mix for all anybody knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts