Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was wondering... What other members do with their dogs when they have a service person come into their home - ie: plumber, cable person etc.??

I always put my dogs in their kennels when I have an unknown person entering my home. Not because I distrust my dogs, but because I distrust people.

While my husband & I were looking into putting a fence in on our property I called several different subcontractors. All but one were very professional, I had this one guy request to do his paperwork in my home - during his visit he talked about his & his wife's love for animals how his wife volunteers at our local shelter etc. I went through my 'sop' & when I let the guy in he requested that I let my dogs run free, that he wanted to pet them & didn't feel it was fair for them to be caged. Me being a young woman I felt a little uneasy as it was letting a strange man in my home & almost felt bullied into letting my dogs out... So I did, the dogs ran playfully back & forth for a minute then went on to more interesting things like their bones. The guy seemed cool, pet the dogs & went about his business.

I have a bar area in my home vs a table so that's where he gave me photographs of his fence work & discussed fencing perimeters & pricing. Lily sat at my feet while the guy went about his work & felt my initial internal reaction was a misjudgment of his character... Then the guy leaned down to pet Lily, as I watched within a split second he held Lily by the back of her neck & jammed his finger in her ear, my poor baby yelped LOUDLY struggled out of the mans hand & ran away in fear:mad::mad::mad:. I was boiling mad but at the same time in fear because I didn't know this man nor what he was capable of. I can not compute why anyone would just jam their thumb in someone else's dog unless it's to intimidate or create a disturbance on ones property. Still though I bluntly stared at him & asked why he did that, the man replied, 'Oh she has ear mites' while showing me the dirt under his finger nail :mad::mad::mad:. I exclaimed she'd been to the vet two days ago & knew for a fact she didn't as he proceeded to argue with me... Later that day I told my husband what happened, it was then I decided because of this circumstance I wanted to own a gun.

The only other ppl my dogs have been around aside from Sean & I, neighbors & family - ppl I know I can trust while the dogs are in the room with me. Aside from that weirdo, they only know humans to be their best friends & treat givers - this situation really upset me & waited a bit before I aired it on the forum.

One other thing I meant to mention because of my severe trust issues with outsiders (men mainly) I want my dogs near me at all times because I have a sense of security, that fence contractor just emphasized why.

Point being I wanted to find out what others do with their dogs when they have service men come in their homes & opinions of how to properly handle? We're still semi-new home owners, direct tv box just went out & I know I'll have to deal with these situations in the future but I want to better prepare myself for mine & my dogs safety :/

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I put my dogs in their crates. Bobby lets his dog run around still though. I would honestly see if I could press charges on that guy.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I would have called the company and made a complaint about the guy. Also I understand you putting them in their crate. I always put Helena in the bedroom or her crate whenever service people are here. She doesn't like strange men. Generally she's ok unless they approach her, before she had a chance to approach them first. Of course most men go straight to intruding upon her and she doesn't like it. And she usually acts protective towards me, standing in front of me and such. I try to correct her when she does this. But a trainer said it was best just to put her away and reintroduce her after company as settled down. But it turns out every man she's not liked that we ended up getting to know wasn't a good person! So I chock it up to doggy 6th sense.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I put my dogs in their crates. Bobby lets his dog run around still though. I would honestly see if I could press charges on that guy.
Do you keep your crates within a visible area or do you crate them in a secluded area?

I would like to press charges but what could I get him on, since it's over two weeks ago & feel like the cops wouldn't believe me. I felt very awkward around this guy, would have reported him to the company but he's the business owner :( - I've had my fair share of bad 'male experiences' & just felt totally bullied and out of control. In my own freaking home, by some stranger :mad:

I would have called the company and made a complaint about the guy. Also I understand you putting them in their crate. I always put Helena in the bedroom or her crate whenever service people are here. She doesn't like strange men. Generally she's ok unless they approach her, before she had a chance to approach them first. Of course most men go straight to intruding upon her and she doesn't like it. And she usually acts protective towards me, standing in front of me and such. I try to correct her when she does this. But a trainer said it was best just to put her away and reintroduce her after company as settled down. But it turns out every man she's not liked that we ended up getting to know wasn't a good person! So I chock it up to doggy 6th sense.
I'd say so to:).. The guy was the owner of the company.

Where I crate them is in our front living room so their visible but restrained. This was the first & last time that will happen - Lex & Lily think all ppl are good, it was because of this scenario I found out they welcome strangers like they do our family & friends. But shortly after that scenario the man left & the dogs stood each by my side as I walked him out & locked the door.

I just feel like an idiot that something like this happened...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I have them in plane sight.

Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Do you keep your crates within a visible area or do you crate them in a secluded area?

I would like to press charges but what could I get him on, since it's over two weeks ago & feel like the cops wouldn't believe me. I felt very awkward around this guy, would have reported him to the company but he's the business owner :( - I've had my fair share of bad 'male experiences' & just felt totally bullied and out of control. In my own freaking home, by some stranger :mad:
Wow... that is scary though. Is your husband ever home during the day so when you make appointments he can be there?

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have them in plane sight.

Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau?
There's a good idea :) - I will

Wow... that is scary though. Is your husband ever home during the day so when you make appointments he can be there?
He isn't, he doesn't work far but since I'm out of work it helps him from not having to come home & lose an hour or so.

I also wanted to post this for others future reference - in case others become new home/dog owners & learn from my mistake.

When I told my husband what happened he discussed it with the guys at work & they all agreed under no circumstance should a contractor request to come in a customers home. Apparently it's proper of them to write up quotes in their service trucks. I found out I've got a gang of 'wrench turners' on my side if I'm ever put in that situation again, lol.

Direct TV though I found out will come out as late as 8pm on business days, so that's cool :)... Yeah, I won't be dealing with private businesses for a bit anymore

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Right now they are working in my house.

If I am in the house, I let the dog out as long as they are ok with her and she is OK with them.

If I am not home, they have been in the basement. Sasha is upstairs and i tell them not to come up.(lock doors).

If I am not home and they need to go upstairs, I'll setup her crate and leave her crated in my room.

One of the plumbers came up to talk to my mother and left the door to downstairs open. Sasha went down ad got out through the garage, My mother had to chase her and call her(I was not home). I told them never to leave that door open and I know my mother learned her lesson.

as you can see it all depends, where is the work? Who is home? Can the dog get out? Will the worker be alone with the dog?

depending on the situation the dog either is out/crated or in my room locked. And if you don't trust someone I suggest keeping the dog away, you not liking them can rub off on the dog and they might not like them.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
truthfully I bring mine to the vet for daycare, I actually had a situation arise just a bit ago where my landlord let someone in my house without my permission and an incident happened with a foster that escaped a kennel (started a thread about it when thinking of it along with pits non HA tendency after cheza got all territorial on a squirrel) anyway my girl are up and out of sight. truthfully when I read what he did I had warning signals go off in my head like this dude what trying to get you pup to bite as to sue you. I would def make a complaint on the whole situation and keep the pups up from now on unless they are leash and with you (yes even in the house).

I have watched Cheza grow and I do see some protectiveness in her as well, something my other lack completely. I don’t see HA in her at all but I bring mine away completely as to not ever set them up for failure ya know. And if I were home and someone asked me to let them out (that I did not know) I would absolutely refuse even with Lucy the most gentle dog I have ever met!!!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
truthfully I bring mine to the vet for daycare, I actually had a situation arise just a bit ago where my landlord let someone in my house without my permission and an incident happened with a foster that escaped a kennel (started a thread about it when thinking of it along with pits non HA tendency after cheza got all territorial on a squirrel) anyway my girl are up and out of sight. truthfully when I read what he did I had warning signals go off in my head like this dude what trying to get you pup to bite as to sue you. I would def make a complaint on the whole situation and keep the pups up from now on unless they are leash and with you (yes even in the house).

I have watched Cheza grow and I do see some protectiveness in her as well, something my other lack completely. I don't see HA in her at all but I bring mine away completely as to not ever set them up for failure ya know. And if I were home and someone asked me to let them out (that I did not know) I would absolutely refuse even with Lucy the most gentle dog I have ever met!!!
:goodpost:

Yeah, replaying the situation in my head & looking back can't understand why I let them out I totally trailed off my moral compass just to give a person a chance. WON'T make that mistake again...

The guy STILL had the kahonas to call two days ago & check in to see if I'd made a decision. grrr - fkhueig:mad:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
My dogs are always crated just to make things easy. Many service people don't care for dogs. If they are here for a long service I will watch my dogs when I let them out to make sure a gate is not left open. They are all fine with Strangers so they have no issues with people coming and going.

There is never a service person in my house when I or my husband am not home.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I always crate the indoor dogs...just due to the simple fact that service people tend to forget to close the doors behind em and what not...

·
Registered
859 Posts
If I'm home I have my dogs out that are very comfortable with strange men I usually like too get them used to different types of situations, but with my other dog Gizmo I would put her into my room b/c she did not like ppl in her yard. The others are chill about it and just lay down while the men do their thing. But if I do see something I disagree with then I do put my dogs away, also I read somewhere with services coming into ur home you are supposed to put away pets, it's just safer for dogs and human.

·
Registered
395 Posts
eh, i honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. if you're alone and afraid of strange men being in your house then you shouldn't have let him in. why not walk him around the house to see the yard and tell him politely that you're uncomfortable with strangers in the home because of your dogs (don't tell him it's because you're alone). if they have to be indoors with you, schedule a time for your husband to be home. if that's not an option, always keep your dogs in their crates. you don't want an accident happening and if a service person is in your house with you, they were legally invited in and any injuries to your guests are your responsibility. i don't understand what you meant about being bullied to let them out. just say no and leave it at that. put him in his place and tell him to keep it strictly business because you have things to do. he shouldn't have picked her up like that or hurt her but he did and she's fine now, right? lesson learned. needing a gun because of this just made me laugh a bit. the problem was a lack of common sense, not his fault. don't let the dude inside if you're uncomfortable and don't let the dogs out. no one can make you do anything you don't want to do. reporting to the BBB might work if that's what you want to do, but i hardly think anything would happen to a contractor for poking a puppy and making it yelp.

^^ that's what I do w/ my dogs & service people.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
eh, i honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. if you're alone and afraid of strange men being in your house then you shouldn't have let him in. why not walk him around the house to see the yard and tell him politely that you're uncomfortable with strangers in the home because of your dogs (don't tell him it's because you're alone). if they have to be indoors with you, schedule a time for your husband to be home. if that's not an option, always keep your dogs in their crates. you don't want an accident happening and if a service person is in your house with you, they were legally invited in and any injuries to your guests are your responsibility. i don't understand what you meant about being bullied to let them out. just say no and leave it at that. put him in his place and tell him to keep it strictly business because you have things to do. he shouldn't have picked her up like that or hurt her but he did and she's fine now, right? lesson learned. needing a gun because of this just made me laugh a bit. the problem was a lack of common sense, not his fault. don't let the dude inside if you're uncomfortable and don't let the dogs out. no one can make you do anything you don't want to do. reporting to the BBB might work if that's what you want to do, but i hardly think anything would happen to a contractor for poking a puppy and making it yelp.

Now I know you prob weren't trying to sound harsh but all in all you did.

What you need to see is the OP is not you and she obviously has a COMPLETLY different personality than you. you don't sound like your the least bit on edge around men (and I can only assume and know this can bite me in the butt but have you ever been a the mercy of a man who's intentions are not honorable? I would say no but I don't know, I CAN tell you I have and it changes you, now same note I don't know if the op has either but something to consider before posting) and therefore it would be easier situation for you to handle.

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I think mcmlxxxvii makes a very good point. You shouldn't feel bullied in your own home and no one can make you do anything that you don't want. If you have such fears than only have people come when you are not alone. Don't set your self up for that uncomfortable situation.

Reactions: mcmlxxxvii

·
Registered
395 Posts

What you need to see is the OP is not you and she obviously has a COMPLETLY different personality than you. you don't sound like your the least bit on edge around men (and I can only assume and know this can bite me in the butt but have you ever been a the mercy of a man who's intentions are not honorable? I would say no but I don't know, I CAN tell you I have and it changes you, now same note I don't know if the op has either but something to consider before posting) and therefore it would be easier situation for you to handle.
i don't see how it is harsh if it's the truth. a different personality isn't going to get anyone off the hook if a person's intentions are bad. being too nice is often what gets people hurt. she learned a lesson. inviting the man in made her feel uneasy and she felt fearful. now that she did, she should know not to put herself in that situation. this is totally different than being out in the street and being approached by a man with awful intentions. she let him in! i understand she was afraid once he was inside and didn't know how he'd react if she asked him to leave, but again....she's fine and the pup is fine. now she knows. she asked what other people do, so i also told her that. i don't let strangers inside if i'm alone. if they want to talk, i walk outside with them. dogs are always crated if it's someone i don't know.

and just because i feel this way doesn't mean i haven't been in a tough situation or afraid of a man whom wanted to cause harm - i have. if they're going to do something, they will....why make it easier for them by asking them inside for a cup of tea and a bit of 4-wall privacy?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Have you ever been physically muscled down by a man? I have - my stepfather several times - I won't go into details but it's done damage I just didn't realize how bad...

I didn't ask for your opinion on myself personally - just how you handle service ppl.

I just purchased my first home with my husband two years ago & live in a big city with questionable folk all around. It sounds like you live in a small town where everyone can trust everyone.

It's very easy to critique a situation when your not the one in it, I'm twenty-three, 5'2 & 100lbs. If I were put into a physically harmful situation like I felt I'd been in, how would I protect myself without a gun???

I did walk around the perimeter with the man & two other contractors prior to that man. Neither of them followed me back inside my home. When I walked back toward the front I was expecting him to go to his & he followed me inside my home & didn't realize he was in the house until I went to shut the door. I let him in by surprise.

I was trying to be as easy going as possible because he was older & seemed easily agitated just wanted him in & out as soon as possible without issue.

Every situation in life is different & for you to be so judgmental & plain hurtful is uncalled for. Also I should point out Some service ppl YOU HAVE to allow inside your home - not every situation is going to be perfect. It's not a perfect world, this I know - not everything's black and white

:goodpost: Thank you!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have you ever been physically muscled down by a man? I have - my stepfather several times - I won't go into details but it's done damage I just didn't realize how bad...

I didn't ask for your opinion on myself personally - just how you handle service ppl.

I just purchased my first home with my husband two years ago & live in a big city with questionable folk all around. It sounds like you live in a small town where everyone can trust everyone.

It's very easy to critique a situation when your not the one in it, I'm twenty-three, 5'2 & 100lbs. If I were put into a physically harmful situation like I felt I'd been in, how would I protect myself without a gun???

I did walk around the perimeter with the man & two other contractors prior to that man. Neither of them followed me back inside my home. When I walked back toward the front I was expecting him to go to his & he followed me inside my home & didn't realize he was in the house until I went to shut the door.

I was trying to be as easy going as possible because he was older & seemed easily agitated.

Every situation in life is different & for you to be so judgmental & plain hurtful is uncalled for.

:goodpost: Thank you!
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts