Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is now 10 months old and while he's a really good dog and I've taught him come & sit, I really want to start him in real obedience classes and eventually get the canine good citizen award. My local humane society offers classes but they require that all dogs be spayed/neutered and will offer no exceptions to the rule. We were not planning on neutering our boy until 2 years old. It's Sunday so most of the other places that offer obedience are closed, is this a common requirement or is it just because it's the humane society?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Normal obedience classes and CGC do not require the dog to be neutered or spayed.

If you give us your location someone might know of a good trainer in your area.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
No it's not a requirement just one that the humane society put in place for their own classes. If you do not have a papered dog and still want to compete in Obed WITHOUT having to S/N then there are venues you can do that do not require it. You can do venues like ASCA who do not require it and have the same rules as AKC. My suggestion is to find another training place. Look for an Obed club who teaches competition obed not pet obed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it's not a requirement just one that the humane society put in place for their own classes. If you do not have a papered dog and still want to compete in Obed WITHOUT having to S/N then there are venues you can do that do not require it. You can do venues like ASCA who do not require it and have the same rules as AKC. My suggestion is to find another training place. Look for an Obed club who teaches competition obed not pet obed.
He is UKC registered...we do plan to neuter him when he's around 2 years old and done growing...how do I find a place that teaches obedience for competition?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts