Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dre had been licking his foot the other day and I noticed it was kinda raw.. here is a pic I took on the 14th

I looked at it today and it hasn't gotten any better.. I try and keep dre from licking it but its tough... here is a pic I took just now

any ideas to keep him from licking it? what should I treat it with?.. I've cleaned it w/ alcohol and neosporin.. but dre smells and licks it off

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Chili had something similar. The Dr said soak in Epsom salts and tri buffered aspirin or baby aspirin to reduce swelling. She healed in a few days.

If it's not better in a few days. Then probably should go to the vet.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I gotta agree with Mac on the vet thing if it's not any better. And it kinda does look like a spider bite, and the baby aspirin and epsoms salt. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Soaking would be good and if you have one put a Elizabethan collar on her or get something called an Itch Stick. I love itch sticks they work great! They have meds in them to numb up the wound and have a bitter taste to keep them from licking it. I use mine all the time!! You can find them at some pets stores or get them online.
Petkin Itch Stick 1.5 oz

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll grab some epsom salt and see if i can find that itch stick, as it will be very useful around here.. Diesel likes to nibble his tail

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.. I've been cleaning it w/ alcohol and putting a big wad of neosporin on it.. then wrapping it w/ a paper towel and putting masking tape around that to keep him from licking... he usually ends up getting it off.. just noticed the original bite spot is healing up.. but the is another buldge next to it that has me concerned.. opinions?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an e-collar .. he freezes up when I put it on him.. and he can't walk straight.. lol
what antibiotics should I put him on?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gonna check CLS pets to see if they have Cephalexin in 500mg.. he's 60lbs so what should i give him per day

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Are you sure its a bite? That looks like a hole from a fox tail. If the fox tail is inside it can cause infection and cause it to abscess. Even if you don't have fox tails in your yard they can be brought over on peoples pants/shoes.

Just keep a heads up that if it doesn't get better it might not be a bite.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do have foxtails..
after googling foxtail dog paw it looks pretty similar
what should i do? dont have the money for surgery

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You can still soak it and try to get it to either dissolve or back out. If it swells and abscesses to bad a vet is the only option. If the hole heals shut you may have to open it. I had to cut one out of Stacks foot one time when I had no money for the vet. I made a small slice enough to get it out. See if you can get it to soak out first if you can't try to push it out. See what you can get to drain before you soak again.

The bullydoc on here may have a better solution if you PM him/her

Also still give the antibiotics Lisa suggested they will still help with the infection.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just unwrapped it and it looks much better than last night.. it starts looking better then Dre gets the bandaging off and starts licking it and it gets bad again.. silly boy

just cleaned it up again w/ 91% alcohol, Dre isnt too happy about that.. lol, wadded up some antibiotic cream on it and wrapped it back up..

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as long as i keep dre away from it, it gets better.. the original hole is healed shut pretty much.. the other red spot pictured is where dre licked it raw again.. its no longer red, its like an empty sac of loose skin there now

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Then watch it and just make sure it keeps getting better and not worse. The fox tail may not still be in there and now it is just infected from when it was open.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i still plan on hitting up a fish store here to see if they have the Cephalexin(sp?) .. i feel bad putting on the e-collar because he hates it soo much.. literally wont budge, and when he does, he staggers to the left and runs into the wall.. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
gonna check CLS pets to see if they have Cephalexin in 500mg.. he's 60lbs so what should i give him per day
If you read the thread it will give the dosage, ;) I do not know them off hand. Good call Holly a foxtail could be the culprit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts