Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2 years ago I adopted a 10 month old yellow lab/pit bull mix from a rescue. She is the sweetest, most playful dog in the world but is still very jumpy at age 3. She will not jump on me but will jump on guests. I have tried many training techniques including turning, ignoring, rewarding her sits, but she just plain old doesn't seem to "get it". How do some of you feel about aversions such as spray bottles filled with water or vinegar? I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Have you tried keeping her on leash? When someone is coming over have a leash on her and when she goes to jump pop the leash and tell her no. Make her sit and praise. If she tries to jump again repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
IMO, and it ain't worth much, I wouldn't want to do something like vinegar to a dog when a guest comes over. I'd be worried the dog would associate something bad with the guest. I have no experience with the vinegar thing. I've heard it works but not something I'd do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my dogs trainer recommended the vinegar spray bottle for barking... but as an above poster stated keep a leash around, make the dog sit before the guest comes in, walk the dog over to the guest when they come. if the dog doesn't stay on all fours pop the leash (with a choke collar) and say NO. praise the dog up when he/she does what you want.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tried the spray bottle thing for the exact same reason with my male and he turned and drank out of it... lol... The leash thing worked for me and it only took about 2 months for him to "get it".

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be with vinegar. You don't want to risk it getting in their eyes as it'll aggitate them and burn. You could try with water, or a very diluted solution of vinegar and water, i.e., a 1/2 cap full of vinegar to a whole bottle of water. IMO, the leash will work better, though. The dog could associate the spray bottle with negativity, and not like taking baths, the water hose, etc. But, to each their own. Find what works best for your dog and go that route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts