Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i built a spring pole for my pup about a month ago to help her get a little more exercise, aaaaaannddd long story short she has noo interest in it :p
the first day she pulled on it for about 10 minutes or so then just walked away and hasnt even looked at it since :p
iv tried a dog pull toy, a tied up shirt, sock and nothing seems to work.
any advice on how to get her to use this bad boy or is all hope lost? haha :hammer:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is it too high for her to reach? It may take awhile for her to understand what she is to do with it. Have you shook it? Attached a duplicate favorite toy to it, we found Beastley loves my husbands old knotted up jeans attached to it (he has no interest in my jeans, guess I'm not that special to him) and we have plenty to replace it with and it is no extra cost if he tears it up. Some dogs may not be interested in it. It took awhile for Beastley to understand what he was to do with it so I participated in the play with him for a few weeks. Make a game of it. Have you tried a flirt pole?

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Try taking a toy, playing with her a bit on the ground with it, getting her drive up. Then, tie her nearby and let her watch you play with the toy by yourself, and then attaching it to the springpole. Play with it again, or let another dog play with it, until she's whining with anticipation. Then, let her loose to get it. She may or may not leap up to get it... but if she does, pull her off of it after a minute or so, and end the session. At this point, you can't let her play on it until she's bored. Same with any toy. If this process doesn't work, try getting a hold of some animal hide, like cow or rabbit. That usually works. :)

oh, and the height of the springpole should be low enough to where at least her back feet are on the ground. I'd start it lower than that in the beginning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with the last post. Really get her loaded with whatever you are using for the bite surface. Consider having a friend hold her while you animate and then let her go. I installed mine Sunday and can not get him off. Even to the point where I take the chain and spring and tug off and hide it in the house. He tracks fairly well for his age and will go around the home nose to the ground whining and looking for it. Good luck

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Maybe you could attach some kind of animal hide or something like that that tastes good that she will want to put in her mouth?IDK.Mine won't do anything either,but they're lazy.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
it didnt take anything for my Diesel to want to play w/ it... he just watched Daisy do it, so when he was a pup pup i got a shoe string and tied it to the tree for him to tug on.. thats how he learned.. now he's a monster when it comes to the SP

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iv pretty much tried all of the above.
at first i had it decently high and she showed no interest so then
i lowerd it low enough for even mt jack russle to tug on it.
i also thought maybe the spring is too strong so i put a weaker spring on it.
i think im just gonna have to buy a bunch of toys find one she goes crazy over and try that on the spring pole.
any other thoughts?
what about more thean one toy on the spring pole?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
some dogs love it.. others dont.. i dont think there is any getting around that

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
every dog is different.. Diesel lives for the springpole.. i'll throw the rope in the tree if i dont want him playing with it.. if he really wants it he'll run 7 ft up the tree and grab the rope and start hanging.. lol

btw.. he was doing this at 6 months old.. only 9 months now and even crazier for the thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts