Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storm is 5 1/2 months old now and I've been practicing with her since she was 4 months. She still doesn't wanna stack and stay! Anyone have any tricks they use?:confused:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
is it because she is excited?? or is it you actually touching her?? its sooo hard to help you adjust what you are doing without seeing WHAT you are doing...

I get my pups use to be touching them and calming them down... a shhh, or easy while gently stroking usually works wonder... and be firm when you are stacking.. It also depends on HOW you are stacking... using the lead, using the collar, using your hands.. a combo of both? Alot of times its all about which way is most comfortable to your pup so they will be relaxed and stack...

Course I am going by how I do ADBA showing

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
old tricks?
monkey grooming.thats what the ******** did.I can't tell you how many dog shows in the 80's I went to,and their'd be a true game dog in the contest.those that soldiered in the box.
yet through monkey grooming they became faliliar with cooing and trust.it's not 100% yet when you see such regular success with amp dogs you've just got to trust the procedure.
PS,my female I have now it the catch kill everything dog.I do this with her,and she fails her heart under touch.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
In training hunting dogs to hold a position they start out by having the dog on a low table as you bring the dog up the ramp on to the table you say "hold" and you stop the dog you can have a small treat in your hand that you placed in front of their nose. If the dog goes to sit down you place your arm under them and hold them up saying " hold" awhile. Once they are holding even for a couple of seconds you praise like crazy and then let them move. Stopping them again with the "hold". If you contintue to do this you should get to where your dog will stop and hold any postition for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Are you planning on attending a show? Or is it just for pics?

Puppies don't stand still well. If they are tired they will be more likely to stand still. I'd slow down a bit and get to basics. Just work on a stand just for a second no holding it. Use a treat. Let her know you have it. Wait for her to calm down as soon as she is calm and standing give her the treat. Don't talk to her or say stand stand or anything. You could make little noises to get her attention though. So just aim for a second of standing. After you get that for a week. Work up to five seconds the next week 10 seconds and so on and so forth. Puppies have very short attention spans.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its for conformation shows. She has the choker on while I do this, so that she will get used to having it on in the show rings. Shes a AM. Bully so we have to show her in ABKC show circuits. I do touch her to calm her down and talk to her. She'll stand for me, but right when I go to move her legs into the position shes supposed to be in she either moves or sits down.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
What is "monkey grooming", William? Is it just like it sounds or ...?
yes, actually.you groom the dog,with your fingers,getting it used to the touch,to the point that it won't react or be taken by it.
my present dog would not let you lay her down,stand her up,lead,point hold,absolutely NOTHING.
within 3 mos she was butter,I could do anything with her,anything.
it helps me alot when I walk her,she's very DA.and I don't mean the run and look or bully another dog,she would go were I to let her.
yet when she winds up,anyone can tell her OK,and then touch her gently and she'll hold her stance.
I'm out ALOT with my dogs socially.
when we're at the dog beach she is absolutely the charm.I let her off leash and she is actually comical in how much she wants to please.
it's all about reward conditioning to get her/them down to work.now,she does it to please.
I love this breed.almost every pit I've put under charge has been great.
I'm not any amount of A dog trainer,what i am is that guy that will do whatever it takes that everyone else is ok with my dogs.
theirs been dogs that don't work out.when they didn't work for me,they would hardly work for anyone else.they had to go.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Its for conformation shows. She has the choker on while I do this, so that she will get used to having it on in the show rings. Shes a AM. Bully so we have to show her in ABKC show circuits. I do touch her to calm her down and talk to her. She'll stand for me, but right when I go to move her legs into the position shes supposed to be in she either moves or sits down.
this is what I wanted to overcome,exactly with my dog.
my present dog,she was A re-aquisition,I'll take back any dog I've bred.she came back at alost 4 and was A maniac.underfed,allowed to do whatever she wanted.she was loved by the people,yet dogs were not their forte.
I spent so much time laying her next to me,or in my lap,stroking her,applying pressure to her chest,holding her tight,talking into her ear,making her understand that their was A more powerful force that loved her.
several of my dogs loved me to rub that loop flap on their ear,this dog,it soothes her.
my dogs go everywhere with me,they sleep with me,whenever we are together they're close.I rub them with my feet,like now,one or the other is being rubbed with my foot.I often hand feed them on nights they get dry food.anything I can to to be in contact with them I try to do.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Storm is my dog, so she goes everywhere with me! She will be sleeping upstairs with me again. Once Rebel gets crate trained, cause right now he sleeps upstairs with me and storm is not very happy about it lol! She will sit and stay. Now I'm also training her for agility. Shes dong wonderful with that! I think shes just not gonna be one of our dogs that will stand the way she is supposed to in conformation showings. Her momma is great at agility, So I think Storm will end up being a agility dog!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
If you are willing to put the time in to it you will get her do anything for you. It is really up to you and what you want from your dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts