Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't flame me as I am trying to learn all of this. Until joined here I just called everything that looked the part a pitbull...even bullies. Now it is very easy to see the difference between apbt and bullies but I'm still not sure of how to tell if I'm looking at an apbt of a staffordshirre terrier. Can anyone inform me or point me in the direction of some reliable literature?

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts
Staffy Bull

Lamasko Brindle Queen

Chinaman

Staffies are shorter and stockier, Am Staffs came from APBTs , but they are more UKC style and show dogs, Chinaman is a true APBT, a game-bred and game dog.

APBTs are a working dog.

· Premium Member
9,176 Posts
Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts

· Registered
11,488 Posts
There are a ton of threads on here regarding the differences ... Basically an apbt is a working terrier and the staff which originally stems from the apbt has been selectively bred for the show ring away from blood sports. The staff is a much heavier set dog bred for looks unlike the apbt which is bred for function.

American Pitbull Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

· Premium Member
9,176 Posts
The ADBA dogs arent unhealthy they are conditioned and if you look they are very well defined with alot of muscle. they are meant for working you see alot of them in weightpulling and working type events.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Okay thanks. Got another question about that link. Why do all the adba's look so unhealthy. Are they really supposed to be that skinny?
That's not unhealthy that is called conditioned Apbt's are athletes they are not supposed to be fat and sloppy. They should be lean and muscular. The adba is showing dogs who are bred to the standard for the real American Pitbull Terrier.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it now. So at one point they come from the same dogs but the apbt's were bred to be game and more athletic looking while the staffies are thicker show dogs.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's not unhealthy that is called conditioned Apbt's are athletes they are not supposed to be fat and sloppy. They should be lean and muscular. The adba is showing dogs who are bred to the standard for the real American Pitbull Terrier.
Ive neever been to any shows or anything so I'd never seen any conditioned to that point. Don't get me wrong the ones I've had were not fat but were no where near that sort of conditioning.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Ive neever been to any shows or anything so I'd never seen any conditioned to that point. Don't get me wrong the ones I've had were not fat but were no where near that sort of conditioning.
I understand athletes in general are lean and muscular it's the same principal with this breed. When dog men would put a dog in the box the dog would be conditioned to it's optimal state for better performance. When a dog is shown in the adba they are conditioned for show as well. Chain weight is when a dog is not being worked or conditioned like added winter weight. Some dogs are genetically lean and conditioned all year round. Pups should never be conditioned most of us who work our dogs or show in the Adba keep weight on our dogs during the winter months. And begin to condition them in the spring or for adba shows.

· ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,702 Posts
But the analogy all falls apart when you realize... that UKC show APBT's are very similar to American Stafforshire Terriers.... Some dogs can be conditioned to win in both UKC and ADBA shows! And then you get down to the nitty gritty of bloodlines... :)

· Premium Member
3,061 Posts
The way I think of it is the matches could last hours so. The box dog had to be fit kind of like a person who is about to race in a triathalon. Down to only muscle bone and enogh water to make through the match. This is wat some adba show handlers are trying to emulate in the look of the dogs they show, pure athletic ability.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
It's very difficult to condition a dog properly and the way the old timers did it. I love a well conditioned dog as long as they are not being conditioned at the food bowls. You can tell the difference in a conditioned dog who was worked and a lot of time went into their conditioning vs a dog who is conditioned by cutting back on their food and not putting in any real work. It shows.... a lot of these adba shows have become strictly conditioning competitions which is not what it's all about. While a conditioned Apbt is a beautiful sight indeed there is a right and wrong way to condition an animal sadly there are lots of folks that don't know how to properly condition an animal or they are too lazy to put in the work and the dog suffers for it.

· GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
It's very difficult to condition a dog properly and the way the old timers did it. I love a well conditioned dog as long as they are not being conditioned at the food bowls. You can tell the difference in a conditioned dog who was worked and a lot of time went into their conditioning vs a dog who is conditioned by cutting back on their food and not putting in any real work. It shows.... a lot of these adba shows have become strictly conditioning competitions which is not what it's all about. While a conditioned Apbt is a beautiful sight indeed there is a right and wrong way to condition an animal sadly there are lots of folks that don't know how to properly condition an animal or they are too lazy to put in the work and the dog suffers for it.
Good post Sadie. Feeding and conditioning are tricky areas to say the least. I love a conditioned dog.

Reactions: Sadie

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Yes they are tiger you can't starve a dog and condition him properly. It's a science and I am a big believer in proper nutrition and conditioning the after results of your hard work as well as the dogs are well worth it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.