Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a decent amount of ("ranch style") property and think it would be cool to build some kennels and start a little dog day care. No i will not let the dogs roam and hangout together because that just seems like it would be asking for dog fights. they would all have there own kennel, i would make sure every dog is up to date on shots, and i would individually walk and exercise each dog. Im not thinking of anything to big like 30 dogs. im thinking like 8 to 10, would i even make a profit off this? because i know you have to take in to consideration dog food ect. This is just a idea nothing solid, but i think it would be something cool to do. So if any of you could give me tips or some input that would be great.

oh and i think it would be pretty much me doing most of the work and maybe one other person. As much as i would love to do a strictly pitbull thing i feel like it would get more business if i did a all breeds are welcome kind of deal.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I bet you would get a lot of pit bull owners business though, considering a lot of dog day cares do not allow them.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Making a profit would depend on how much you'd be charging. Also bear in mind that the fewer dogs you accommodate, the more you'd have to charge per dog in order to make sure you're covering your expenses. If you could take more dogs you could charge less per dog. I guess it would depend on your area and what kind of demand you think there would be for your service.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the kennel by our home makes good money but they have a GREAT reputation and have done this for years its gonna come down to getting your name out there and getting the rep. Ours have recently started taking in rescues in the area they work with the SPCA on occassion and take in random "found pets" and try and find there homes ect. When we have taken dogs in for daycare / weekend care we were always told to bring food that way they arent switched from what they are already eating { which owners shouldnt complain about they cant expect you to buy 50 types of food for everyone} She also does other things there like grooming and stuff so I think that helps her buisness as far as the $$ aspect of it. if I had the room I would so do it though would be alot of fun and here people charge alot for stuff like that dont know how it is there but up here prices start at $35 a day depending on breed.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You might have to name it something other than a day care, though. Because I work at a place that does doggy daycare, and it is most definitely a situation where puppies play and socialize all day. If you call it that, you might mislead people who are used to this kind of daycare. I can't give you specific prices without violating super-special business secrets, but most doggy daycares charge more than the range you specified. Another thing you'll have to consider is what you'll do with people who want to leave their dogs overnight, or who say they have an emergency and cannot pick up. It'll happen.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
INSURANCE! lol You will get sued for a hang nail. Depending on your area and the life styles people lead there it could work out really well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im for sure going to encourage pitbull owners that they are way more than welcome.
as far as doing other things with the "day care" i was reading other places offer dog photography and if people are interested i would offer that as well. If the business was pretty good i would look into getting a grooming license, not sure if you need a license or not.
and if i cant call it a day care what do you recommend i call it? i would be more than happy to let the dogs socialized if they were all well mannered.

keep the post coming please these are really helpful.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could anyone give me a good price to charge per dog if i was only caring for about 10

·
Banned
44 Posts
The place I used to go was like Angelbaby's where they told you to bring your own food. Not only did that make sure your dog's diet didn't get switched but it would save you some money off expenses. Although you would have to keep some food on hand for those that forgot or didn't bring their dogs food with them.
Best of luck to you!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You would want to set your cost after you know what you are doing for each dog, what the start up cost will be, and what it will cost to run it daily. Then figure out what you would have to charge to make a profit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The place I used to go was like Angelbaby's where they told you to bring your own food. Not only did that make sure your dog's diet didn't get switched but it would save you some money off expenses. Although you would have to keep some food on hand for those that forgot or didn't bring their dogs food with them.
Best of luck to you!
yea i think im going to tell them to bring there own food so that the dogs are not constantly switching foods. i'll keep some emergency food on hand.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the place near us that we like is called country style kennels , it isnt called a day care or anything , I think they cater more to like vacationers and temporary care rather then just the day service although Im sure they have some that come in for days only.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to also rescue pitbulls from shelters that are going to be put down, and foster them until they get homes if i end up doing this whole kennel thing.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There is money to be made but volume is going to be what your going for. As many dogs as you can handle to pay for overhead. You MUST get insurance and a business license then you need to look into local laws and what your property is zoned for. If you are zoned as agriculture it does not mean you can run a small business at your house. You have to look at local laws concerning what permits you need from Animal Control like a kennel permit. You will most likely have to get permission from all your neighbors even if they are far away. I have a boarding kennel and had to go through all this so I know how much initial work it is. Once you jump through all the hoops then you should be good to go. I charge $15 a day per dog and give a discount if the owner has a second and third dog. I make people bring their own food or I charge $5 dollars a day for our feed, most ppl bring their own food ;). I also bring the dogs in at night so I request they bring a crate too. I normally only board clients dogs who I train and I do charge extra if you have a dog who is a real JERK! I have these Chihuahua's that I board and they are suck jerks I cannot touch them. I just scoop them up in a crate and dump them in a dog run! lol

Most kennels charge about 18-22 dollars a day for boarding and more if they have to give medication or play time. I try to stay competitive and do pretty well, we have at least 3-4 dogs boarding at all times and I get busier around holidays. Anyway it is good money for boarding but I have not done doggie day care because I do not like the idea.

I did think for a while I wanted to make a doggie water park and I still might invest in one, we are in the desert and have no water. I thought a lake with places to dock dive and sprinkler areas with a dog park. Just a dream I had but then what would I do with it in the winter ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is money to be made but volume is going to be what your going for. As many dogs as you can handle to pay for overhead. You MUST get insurance and a business license then you need to look into local laws and what your property is zoned for. If you are zoned as agriculture it does not mean you can run a small business at your house. You have to look at local laws concerning what permits you need from Animal Control like a kennel permit. You will most likely have to get permission from all your neighbors even if they are far away. I have a boarding kennel and had to go through all this so I know how much initial work it is. Once you jump through all the hoops then you should be good to go. I charge $15 a day per dog and give a discount if the owner has a second and third dog. I make people bring their own food or I charge $5 dollars a day for our feed, most ppl bring their own food ;). I also bring the dogs in at night so I request they bring a crate too. I normally only board clients dogs who I train and I do charge extra if you have a dog who is a real JERK! I have these Chihuahua's that I board and they are suck jerks I cannot touch them. I just scoop them up in a crate and dump them in a dog run! lol

Most kennels charge about 18-22 dollars a day for boarding and more if they have to give medication or play time. I try to stay competitive and do pretty well, we have at least 3-4 dogs boarding at all times and I get busier around holidays. Anyway it is good money for boarding but I have not done doggie day care because I do not like the idea.

I did think for a while I wanted to make a doggie water park and I still might invest in one, we are in the desert and have no water. I thought a lake with places to dock dive and sprinkler areas with a dog park. Just a dream I had but then what would I do with it in the winter ;)
wow a dog water park sounds like a really awesome idea especially if your in a desert area like Arizona or something! i think people would pay for that.:woof:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and i guess its not a day care so much as it would be like if you need to drop your dogs off somewhere for the day or longer we will take care of them kind of thing :)
again this is only an idea that i would love to make happen, so i dont know i guess will see!

·
Registered
776 Posts
the thing with any biz like this is to keep the overhead super low. You cant start out super nice and go way into debt or youll fall on your rear . Find ways to make the start up as cheap as possible while being able to do as much volume as possible. Start small and grow a lil here and there as things get paid off . Understand that it takes a while and alot of smart planning to make a biz work . Getting into debt thats not easily payable under the worst times is a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I agree with Lisa's post. The prices seem to be pretty average, but that also depends on your area. There are a lot of minutiae that you have to consider, like the medication and the supervised playtime if you choose to allow it. And what do you do if someone has 3 dogs that can room together, versus 4 dogs that need to be separated? Do you charge per the dog or per the run? Do you set up a facility to offer an exit bath for people who don't want to bring home a dirty pooch?

Another suggestion I offer is having people sign a waiver dismissing you from damages caused by playing with other dogs, or self-inflicted injuries, etc. Also, you can give people the option to purchase supplemental insurance where you will take the dog to the closest vet if it gets injured or sick. I'm not sure how well that kind of program pays for itself, but I know that some boarding kennels offer it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
these are all really good post with a lot of helpful ideas.
thank you all :goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Good point Lindsay

I do have a waiver and that is pretty standard if you are having any type of clients dogs at your place. I also put on there that any health issues that need a vet the owner will be called first. Unless it is a life threatening issue they will be taken to the nearest E-vet an the owner is responsible for all charges. You have to make sure to cover your rear!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts