Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to this web site. But i thought this is the best way to start my own kennel by. Asking alot of question im not new to the breed of dog i love pit bulls i used to breed them local but stop. Me and my wife want to start our own kennel.We do not own any dogs right now. I guest my question is where do we start and how do u go about picking the bloodline that is the best :confused:

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
i would suggest doing alot of research on specific bloodlines and go from there my question is why do you want to start your own kennell? do you and your wife have goals you wish to accomplish by doing this for the breed, im only askin because it hurts me to see this there are sooo sooooooo many shelter dogs that need gppd homes absoutly outstanding pitteys live in shelters it just takes the right person to put the dogs to work. to each his own though and i wish you and your family the best on this new adventure in you lives be blessed.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
research bloodlines as suggested, find out disposition of the strain and the odd balls of the strains. Remeber the number one rule in breeding anything, dont produce what your not prepared to keep. If your not ready to house all of the dogs permanently than its not conducive to you or your dogs, let alone the state of the "pit bull" in society today. I would say get you a good male raise it up well and let him raise a female... after hes about a year and a half. OR get two pups very close in age. Good luck and remember ... Protect the breed; by accountable preservation we can save the endangered APBT.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The very first question you should ask yourself is why do you want to breed? Why this breed? What are you aiming to do and what will be the result of your produced pups? Are you looking to benefit the breed? Preserve the breed? Or are you looking to breed towards something entirely different than what these dogs are purposely bred to do?

These dogs are not show dogs nor are they just family pets and companions. While yes they can do both of these things with little effort these dogs should be first and foremost performance, purposely bred for working tasks (legally) while preserving the history and keeping it intact. If you are not looking to own or breed high drive (not talking hyper here) hounds than you should look at other breeds. There are enough "pet bulls" all over the country and world, especially in shelters theres no reason to add to that population. These dogs need to be kept in the hands of experienced owners, being able to handle these dogs and respecting/knowing the history. Being worked.

If you believe you are right than i suggest not only researching individual bloodlines to see what may be best suited for your needs but also see if you can't find someone who is a seasoned breeder/dogger to guide you through. Mentor you.

Given you are not sure where to start shows you have quite much to learn, by no means am i trying to put your thoughts down if your heart is truly in for the dogs and not the money or other reasons.. However if your heart isn't in it you don't need to be doing it.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Once you have a direction you want to take your dogs you need to pick a family of dogs and work within those gene pools to pull what you want from them. People often start breeding a bunch of dogs/bloodlines with no clear direction of where they are going and end up with a bunch of inconsistencies having to cull there entire yard and start all over again. You need to know these bloodlines and work with the ones that best suit your goals. Remember that one bad breeding can ruin a bunch of dogs and not every bloodline or family of dogs is created equal in quality you have to know whose hands are on the dogs and aquire dogs from yards who are only breeding quality proven stock. Get with a mentor who has been in the dogs for a minute a guiding hand and true knowledge backed up by proven success is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Well, what line of dogs did you have before? Did you like it enough to start back up in that same direction? Seems like if you've already been a breeder once, you should have some idea of what you're looking to perpetuate. Nobody can tell you what lines to look into if you don't know what kind of dog you're wanting to breed.

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Most would say dont do it for the money, but its hard to avoid that when you have a kennel that is being brought up.

First comes Finance, Is your bank account ready for an emergency vet visit, Dog food, and maintenance. Another thing that comes up is advertisement, shows, and training. You do not want to wind up with a litter and later have no buyers for the litter, and wind up with more dogs in the shelter.

Most important, Have fun with the breed. Most backyard breeders i have encountered have litter after litter, not giving their female a chance to recuperate, most do not even let their dogs out the kennel.

Remember that it suits your liking, and your going to breed for those liked traits. Sure some like a hardworking dog, but others like a bully type structure. It will come down to your liking and how much time you can commit to the breed.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
im new to this web site. But i thought this is the best way to start my own kennel by. Asking alot of question im not new to the breed of dog i love pit bulls i used to breed them local but stop. Me and my wife want to start our own kennel.We do not own any dogs right now. I guest my question is where do we start and how do u go about picking the bloodline that is the best :confused:
hey kdubb.. how do yall like pensacola? :)

3,968 Posts
first question..you want to breed pitbulls. but what breed specifically i assume american pitbull terrier when i hear pitbull. or it could just as easily mean american bully.

how much do you actually know about the american pit terrier...or ambully if thats what your going for? are you aware of breed history,genetics,conformation,and personality of the breed.

if you get dogs to start breeding what bloodlines will they come from and will you work or show your dogs?

will you be willing to pay for health tests such as ofa? and even temperment testing?

are you willing to see each and every dog of yours gets regular vet visits. including each and every puppy produced.

why do you want to breed? is it to better the breed? or just for any selfish reasons having nothing to do with preserving whatever breed you want to start a kennel with.

do you care who the puppys would be going to. and willing to make sure they go to an educated aware owner? are you willing to say no to a potential buyer that doesnt seem suitable? even if you miss out on a lot of cash?

heres reasons NOT to breed "pitbulls" specifically the american pitbull terrier.

every year i see more apbts in the pound then any other breed. i have never seen an apbt in the pound that has been produced by a reputable breeder.

a lot of people that buy apbts without consulting a reputable breeder or usually have no idea what they are getting into. and end up with a big problem on their hands...hence apbts being the most popular breed at the dog pound.

apbts are being over bred all the time. the countless adds and flyers from back yard breeders that only breed dogs. for themselves. most of these dogs are very faulty in health,conformation,and temperment.

people advertise all kinds of dogs as apbts wether they are ambulls or boxer lab crosses. they also advertise colors as rare or special. which is def lying to buyers and ripping them off. especially if they sell for a great amnt of cash due to color or large size.

your average person usually has a very wrong idea of the apbt and what one even looks like. even if someone loves the breed and only says good things about the breed they don't all necessarally know the facts and details of the breed. and the people that like the breed most do often end up giving out just as much false information about the breed as someone who hates "pitbulls" and wants them all put to sleep.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
first question..you want to breed pitbulls. but what breed specifically i assume american pitbull terrier when i hear pitbull. or it could just as easily mean american bully.

how much do you actually know about the american pit terrier...or ambully if thats what your going for? are you aware of breed history,genetics,conformation,and personality of the breed.

if you get dogs to start breeding what bloodlines will they come from and will you work or show your dogs?

will you be willing to pay for health tests such as ofa? and even temperment testing?

are you willing to see each and every dog of yours gets regular vet visits. including each and every puppy produced.

why do you want to breed? is it to better the breed? or just for any selfish reasons having nothing to do with preserving whatever breed you want to start a kennel with.

do you care who the puppys would be going to. and willing to make sure they go to an educated aware owner? are you willing to say no to a potential buyer that doesnt seem suitable? even if you miss out on a lot of cash?

heres reasons NOT to breed "pitbulls" specifically the american pitbull terrier.

every year i see more apbts in the pound then any other breed. i have never seen an apbt in the pound that has been produced by a reputable breeder.

a lot of people that buy apbts without consulting a reputable breeder or usually have no idea what they are getting into. and end up with a big problem on their hands...hence apbts being the most popular breed at the dog pound.

apbts are being over bred all the time. the countless adds and flyers from back yard breeders that only breed dogs. for themselves. most of these dogs are very faulty in health,conformation,and temperment.

people advertise all kinds of dogs as apbts wether they are ambulls or boxer lab crosses. they also advertise colors as rare or special. which is def lying to buyers and ripping them off. especially if they sell for a great amnt of cash due to color or large size.

your average person usually has a very wrong idea of the apbt and what one even looks like. even if someone loves the breed and only says good things about the breed they don't all necessarally know the facts and details of the breed. and the people that like the breed most do often end up giving out just as much false information about the breed as someone who hates "pitbulls" and wants them all put to sleep.
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Banned
5 Posts
Dubbs, you made a good decesion to research everything before starting a kennel. I read a lor of good responses to your post and I like to add my two cents in.

Starting a kennel in any breed can be difficult but especially with APBT's. Some do it to better the breed but the majority do it to make money. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with making money breeding as long as you better the breed while doing so.

The main things you are going to need is money, space, time, and knowledge. I would suggest finding someone who has breed any kind of dog to get a better understanding on what to expect as every breeding is different. I have had breeding that went perfect and others that went terrible.

As far as rescuing dogs I think that is a great idea. The problem comes in when you rescue a dog that is not a good fit for the person. If you adopt a dog that has dog aggression and the rescuer does not know how to handle it that can be a problem. It is your personal choice if you want to adopt or not. Since you are going to have this dog for years to come you need to make sure you get a dog that you like. I know anytime I got a new dog I went for physical traits in the dog like how the parents and grandparents turned out as well as the color. I like red APBT's and always have, so that is what I get.

People in general are going to do what they want no matter what others say. If you plan on starting a kennel at least take some time to research the breed and what it entails.

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
to start a kennel i would get the pit bull bible or little black book from california jack. regardless of what people think of the man those books are really informative on having a kennel for producing dogs.

just realize you dont want to start off with bad stock. save upfor the good stuff, if you produce crap and put your name on it just for the money that negative karma will stick with you for a long time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts