Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Savannah has had diarrhea for the past few days. I wasn't too concerned, just figured that she had eaten something that was messing with her stomach, we have a 1.5 year that likes to feed her all of his food when he's eating. Well I'm beginning to worry. Yesterday morning when my g/f got up to go to work at 4am Savannah rushed out of her kennel in the bedroom with her and followed her. Well the g/f said she heard Savannah wimpering at the back door, letting her know she had to go out, well wasn't even 30 seconds later and she began to poop all over the floor by the back door. No big deal I just assumed she didn't feel well and really had to go. So I cleaned it up. It kinda of thru me off at the consistency of the poop, it was dark brown in color, and was slightly slimy.

Well I dismissed it at the time just figuring she was still sick. Well last night we got home late and she didn't have anymore accidents and I let her out. Then we went to bed, and since our roommates are gone for the weekend I left savannah out to sleep in the living room. Well my g/f wakes me up again and tells me my dog pooped in the bath tub. Yes...my dog is so awesome that she knows she's not supposed to poop in the house that she got in the bathtub and did it. Well again it was the same consistency, dark brown, thick and slimy, but this time there were several spots of bright red blood. Now having some medical knowledge relating to humans I know that when their is bright red blood in the stool it is generally coming from the end of the digestive track, very close to the exit, if it were from the stomach or intestines it would be coffee ground color. Well now I'm worried. I don't know what to think about this.

Her appetite hasn't changed, neither has her energy level or any other behaviors. She hasn't had any more gas than usual, and is drinking fine. I'm just wondering if maybe she's just sick and this will pass in a few days, or if I should be concerned. Any help is greatly appreciated...this is NOT what i wanted to worry about on my birthday dammit! :(

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
could she have possibly ate some plastic or something that could have scratched her? might be my first guess as far as the blood

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If it were me, I'd take her in to the vet. I don't mess around with blood in the stool. For me, that's a call to the vet.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like coccidia or some type of worms... I would go to the vet asap as you don't want it to get any worse and risk her becoming dehydrated...

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Sometimes, when a dog strains itself deficating, it suffers from some slight tearing. That can result in blood. I'm with rock on this. Bring her to the vet. I'm thinking maybe worms or something along the line. I had this problem with roundworms.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I was thinking what the last 2 said with the slimy consistency sounds worms to me. The blood could just be from her bowels being irritated from the diarreah and not really a symptom { my guess} , but ya I agree go get her checked out or a fecal done . Hope its something like worms and easily treated.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Before you get too freaked a few things to consider

It's that time of year for Coccidia or Guardia

Do you give her a wormer monthly like heart guard or something? That would rule out worms.

If she was my dog I would put her on metronidazole for a week and you should see an improvement in a few days. Look at the sticky "must have meds" for how to get it.

Just like Freddie said after straining should could get a tear and that would cause blood in the poop and not uncommon for blood if she has had the runs for several days.

If she is still acting normal I would just order the meds and try that.

You could take her to the vet or if you have a really good vet just ask if you can bring in a stool sample. I know I do not have to bring in my dog I can just take a stool sample and they can check it for worms and bacteria and you can get meds from the vet.

No need for an office visit if they are just going to do a stool sample and give you metronidazole anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Bio-Sponge by Platinuim Performance is AMAZING!!! After 2 treatments stools will go back to normal and all is good.... Dimikio left this stuff with me (he talked about it before and tried to get me to use it) and I used it on a couple of dogs that had some mysterious nasty stools (no worms, and normal eating/drinking).. A dose in the afternoon, and one the next morning and back to normal... the stuff I have now is for horses, and his vet had given him this stuff for an out break of parvo that had several dogs upset... I've looked it up online and it comes in doses for dogs to.. 4lbs for $30 and its a powder form... just mix with a little water and give it and wow... I'm sold on it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts