Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all hope I can get some advice or help with this since I have been searching but couldnt find the right answer just yet.
My pit bull Diesel has just reached 2 recently and within the past few months leading up to maturity he has been showing obsession and been possessive over sticks. He got into with another dog trying to get the stick from him before I got over in time to take it away.
I know he gets excited about sticks because he likes to fetch them in the river and is crazy about the water, and when we do get to the river and he brings sticks back to bank he chews them or tries to break them right away. No problem with me taking them away from him just other dogs.
How do I approach this?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well since he is 2yrs old his DA is going to start showing up more and more. The best approach would be to not have him around other dogs. If you do have another dog that he gets along with other than whne sticks are involed than make sure he doesnt have a chance to play with sticks during this time.

You could also take the sticks away and give him something different to play with. Like instead of throwing sticks for him throw a dummy or a tennis ball and have him fetch that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dogs develop fixations because they have nothing else to do. Pitbulls have amazing endurance and therefore you need to give them an obscene amount of exercise. Rollerblading, swimming, backpacking and biking are awesome ways to get all that energy out. Pitbulls are super dogs in my opinion, and super dogs need a lot of stimulation mentally and physically =)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I would be extremely cautious from now on and not let him play with other dogs anymore. This could start a fight. My girl became possessive over toys towards other dogs and the next step she was starting fights for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts