Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Toby staaaaanks. I like to think it's just him exuding masculinity, but the wife begs to differ. I think it's within bounds of being a slobber monster. All Toby needs is a wife beater, coors light and a double wide and he is set to run the trailer park lol.

Seriously though I've tried the gambit of products at the local pet store, from mom n pop to corporate chains. Nothing cuts through the musty funk for more than a couple hours.

Any home remedies or a cheap solutions? I am on a serious budget.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
not quite sure I get what you are asking. Like stinks from digestion? or stinks , literally, like a stinky dog?

Both issues could be solved with a food change, depending on what the problem is. What are you feeding him right now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I was vague, I was referring to bath time. I don't mind him smelling like a dog, but I haven't found anything that cuts through the smell and gives off just washed muh dog clean scent.

Diet: nutro max dry kibble. Some times I'll add a little chicken or beef.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I have 2 suggestion, this one is totally safe, but my pup outgrew it. I use it and he would smell awesome for about 8 days of walking a few miles and playing kinda hardcore around the yard. This worked for the first 2 and a half year, its safe for pets and is all natural and organic. This is shampoo, I use the conditioner too, and he smelled great: Shampure Shampoo > Shampure > Collections > Aveda

BUT now that he has had this weird bump, I am amazed how oatmeal has been working. Blend 1 cup of oatmeal to a powder in a blender or food processor. Put your pup in the tub filling it as high as you can, all the oatmeal and have him soak for 15 minutes in the oatmeal. Don't rinse it off, just pat him dry. My pup have never been more soft or smell as good. Give it a shot an see how it goes :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
You may have better luck on different food. I don't really like the ingredients in Nutro. I'd expect to see more meat in the first few ingredients.
Ingredients: Chicken meal, wheat flour, ground whole wheat, corn gluten meal, rice bran, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground rice, chicken, natural flavors, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, potassium carbonate, yeast culture, l-lysine, salt, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, iron oxide, dried kelp, lecithin, garlic flavor, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, riboflavin (source of vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll have to give the oatmeal a try. Getting his big butt into my tub is going to be another story lol.

as far as nutro goes, that was a quick solution to the ol roy he was being fed. I guess i need to go find a replacement brand. any suggestions? I can't afford to switch to a raw diet or i'd concider it. Toby was oh just a lil over weight when i got him. After about three weeks i can see he has thinned a little in the middle and his legs and shoulders are just now starting to show signs of definition.

thank you for your time and help

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may have better luck on different food. I don't really like the ingredients in Nutro. I'd expect to see more meat in the first few ingredients.
Ingredients: Chicken meal, wheat flour, ground whole wheat, corn gluten meal, rice bran, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground rice, chicken, natural flavors, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, potassium carbonate, yeast culture, l-lysine, salt, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, iron oxide, dried kelp, lecithin, garlic flavor, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, riboflavin (source of vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity)
so what would be a better alternative? He was on Ol Roy when we adopted and i just have this thing about ol roy or any kmart knock off kibble.

I can't really afford to switch to a raw diet or i would. I do augment his evening meal with cooked chicken, or some cooked beef. his morning feeding he gets a cup of kibble with a raw egg. Portion size with him is irrelevant because no matter what you put in the bowl he will only eat about a cup of food total and will not touch it until it's evening time and he's ready to eat again.

Toby was pretty hefty when we adopted and pretty out of shape. I am slowly working on his conditioning. 3-5 minutes with a flirt pole and he's winded and exhausted. I have him up to 2-3 miles hand walking and he's lost some girth in the middle and is now starting to show signs of tone in his legs and shoulders. mind you i'm not working the tar out of him, just a good hand walk with some incline work (steep hill by the house) twice a week.

Keep in mind Tobe's almost 3 years old, and i've had him for about a month now. We are still figuring out what makes him tick and vice versa.

I appreciate the comments and inputs.....thanks for your time.

Liam

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Agreed - you can probably eliminate most of the smell with a switch to grain free. I noticed this when switching our old dog Brutus (RIP) from Beneful to Canidae and then TOTW. We were able to go much longer between baths. Also it put a stop to the yeast infections he would always get on his skin.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
You sound like you're in a situation similar to my own a little over a year ago. Not with the smell, with the food issue.

So when I got my pup, Argos, I was feeding him...oh, I dunno, some crap from wal-mart, probably purina. I thought it was a good food, I'd seen the brand all my life, and my family had always fed their animals purina.
Then, I found myself here, trying to find a solution to his horrible allergy. Like you, it was recommended that I switch his food to fix my problem.

So I shopped around local pet stores, and I started feeding him Blue Buffalo from Pet Smart, even though it was a good deal more expensive than his other kibble (which basically consisted of...cornbread. seriously, see below). Blue buffalo helped with my problem somewhat, but what I really noticed was how much longer the bag of food lasted.
Eventually, I switched him to Wellness Core Grain Free at Petco (which was just a tad bit more expensive, once again), and the serving is even less.

To put it in perspective (i actually looked all this up, so you better read it, lol):
Wellness, $35/15lb (petco)- 65 lb dog eats 2.25-2.75 cups daily
Purina "Healthy" Morsels $13.00/17lb (wal-mart)- 65lb dog eats 3-4 cups daily
(Also consider also that the "healthy morsels" is one of the more expensive, "better" foods made by the company.)

So you see that the wellness is a good deal more expensive, but the serving size is notably smaller. Now, the reason I started buying at petco is because of their free rewards program, every $100 you spend you get a $5 coupon. You'll also notice that the good dog foods are frequently $5 off in-store, which stacks with your coupon. You basically get a coupon every three 15lb bags, and you'll probably see it on sale every third or fourth time that you go. My coupons line up with in-store sales frequently, and I'm sure I could make it happen more often if I payed attention. Over time, it really evens out.
I know it may be hard to believe, I had trouble myself, but it is true.
The dog will eat almost half as much, meaning you will have to buy double the bags of cheaper food, meaning you're already spending more because wal mart doesnt put pet food on sale, ever.

I'll leave you with the ingredients list, because I was personally very angry when it was pointed out to me and I realized the garbage I was feeding my pal.

Wellness Core Grain Free:
"Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Chicken Liver, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin, Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.
This is a naturally preserved product."

Purina "Healthy" Morsels:
"Whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, lamb meal, brewers rice, propylene glycol, sugar, animal digest, phosphoric acid, salt, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, DL-Methionine, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite."

When is the last time you heard about dogs razing a corn or wheat field?

Anyway, sorry about the length here, I don't usually do this...:confused:
Like I said, I was really angry when I found out what I was feeding my dog.

As a side note, I also switched my cat to the feline version of the same food, and it's an even better value for him, as I buy him one bag to Argos' three.

As a second side note, when she saw the ingredients list, my girlfriend notified me (without any prompting, lol) that she is cool with eating the animals' food when the apocalypse hits. I agreed.

Hope you can glean something useful from all this. :D

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Purina "Healthy" Morsels:
"Whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, lamb meal, brewers rice, propylene glycol, sugar, animal digest, phosphoric acid, salt, potassium chloride, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, DL-Methionine, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite."

When is the last time you heard about dogs razing a corn or wheat field?
Filler, filler, filler, more filler and filler, animal by product, more filler...what is animal digest? Ew!!! Not to mention that corn and wheat can cause allergic reactions in many animals.

As a side note, I also switched my cat to the feline version of the same food, and it's an even better value for him, as I buy him one bag to Argos' three.
Ha ha, we did the same thing. Our cats are now eating TOTW Canyon River formula. We felt guilty that the dogs were getting the good food so we switched them to TOTW as well. Happy kitties, let me tell ya!

Good post Aczdreign :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply. The cost analysis was helpful and I read it a couple times before I went and bought wellness.

Toby would eat the nutro but you would have put some stock or water in it.

I put a cup down of the wellness and he sniffed it for a split second and then demolished the food. I didn't bother mixing the old with the new. I figured he's got allergies to something in the nutro.

So, it seems he likes the change. If it makes him happy and healthy then I'm happy.

We did the crazy coupon lady thing and it helped cut the cost significantly.

Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
No problem man, im glad I could be of assistance...it's usually me needing help.

EDIT: Argos drools on the floor every time he sees me fill his food bowl. they can tell the difference in the food, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.