Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for awhile now and I really really want a Pit Bull. I have done a ton of research and even visited the humane society here in Montgomery County (MD) to play with one and walk it. It's very sad and depressing the way these dogs are treated by many, which led to most people giving them such a bad name. I still like coming here to read and look at all the pictures, but I guess I have to realize that we probably just wont be getting one.

It doesn't help that my mom (who is scared of them) lives in PG County (MD) where they are banned...and now my wife thinks they are too strong and she will have trouble walking it.

Anyway, the one we visited with was so sweet and loving..all she did was wag her tail and show us love.

This is a great site, keep educating people about pits and maybe one day I will be able to own one :)

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
How long have you been with us? A pit bull can be a great pet when bred right and trained. Check out PerformanceKennels, she has quite a few gorgeous and amazingly trained dogs.

Welcome to the fam!

3,968 Posts
glad you have done research on the breed. now your wife is right to an extent. these are very powerful dogs. i have owned some apbts growing up that loved to pull on the leash. it was a power struggle for me taking them for walks. but with proper training you wont have to worry. i highly recommend taking an apbt to basic ob training. these dogs can be very hard headed and ob classes help a lot. and they should teach loose leash walking in basic ob classes. apbts normally make wonderful family pets. i feel like i have what should be your typical lab inside an apbt body!..unfortunatly i have seen some nasty labs out there but onyx is 100% love!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
My dog was a strong puller and I'm a 120lb female. But my dog is only 47lbs! So I can pick her up! lol When I lived in the "ghetto" a big dude said "what would you do if that dog got after something" I said I would just pick her up! And demonstrated. lol But I am strong minded and dominant when it comes to animals.

3,968 Posts
OH i just remembered! onyx was a mahor puller...but with the help of a harness he walks GREAT! get a harness that attacches in the front over the chest. it works like reigns on a horse. if the dog pulls ahead with one of those harnesses on, rhe leash will pull to the side gently forcing the dog to turn around. they work great! also never buy one that attaches in the back cuz it turns the dog into a sled dog.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Hello and glad to have you on board. A pitbull that is well exercised and well trained is very easy to walk. You seem to be doing you homework before getting a dog, so just read up on proper training ;)

·
Banned
774 Posts
x2 on pk she has some awesome dogs and if u train em right they wont pull at all

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Hi and welcome!!

I hope that you continue to read about this amazing breed. They are great dogs and eaasily trained if you stick with it you have to consistant and consistant........ oh did I mention consistant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts