Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help correcting Bubba and his play biting. He nips at me when I correct him with a touch to any part of his body. I think sort of a protest of the correction. He doesn't bite hard so don't misiturpert. But I do want to nip this in the butt before he's bigger as he's about 9 months old now.

He also bites when playing and when he's excited I think he bites harder than he realizes. I really don't want him using his mouth on people/hands.

I've been using a harsh no, but he isn't phased by it and will just continue to chew on my hand if I don't pull it away. I've tried giving him a toy that's ok for him to chew on instead of my hand but he'd rather chew on me.

How should I correct this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have the same problem with our 4 month old. The vet told us to cry like a puppy when he does it and it seems to be working. We were holding his mouth shut and stuff, but like you said, he just nips like hes protesting it. It sounds stupid, but its the only thing we can get to work:)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
hmmm. kenay did alot of the same things ur talking about Bubbas Daddy, she wouls nip if i corrected her and it seemed like a teen with their attitude. she actually grew out of it. she has LOOOTTTSSS of toys to chew on and when her and chyna play she does bite but knows her limits. i did buy these cheap toys called "loofa dogs" they are these LOONNNGGG stuffed dogs, kinda ugly lol, but whenever she is about to bite or goes thru her attitude mode shell pick up her loofa and chew on that... maybe pick one of thsoe up at petco or petsmart.. worked for us

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
ok so I had a problem with Phoenix when he was a pup with this. And the holding the mouth and saying no was not working. So I started biting his ear. I know this sounds mean, but I mean not hard enough to draw blood or anything just as soon as he nips at you, grab him and bite his ear, with enough pressure to make him yelp. let him see what it feels like. Does taht make sense?? It so worked and Phoenix learned the differnece inplay biting and regular bite. I also would do that and as soon as he yelped I would say OUCH really loudly. SO now when we play if he gets to rough or rambunctious all I have to do is say ouch or be easy and he straightens right up.
Now for Penny she didn't need it, she wasn't a mouthy dog.
Now Orion, whjo is part Lab ( and omg are they mouthy little suckers), I had to do the holding the mouth shut and putting pressure, enough to make him whine and tell him "NO TEETH". It works I am the ONLY person he will not put his mouth on.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound to harsh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ideas all....well except for that biting him back thing LMAO! I just couldn't do it....but that's pretty funny you did!:roll:

I've already tried that hold his mouth shut thing today and it seems to be working alright for the moment. I'm going to keep it up and see how things go.

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I only did it to Phoenix. it seemed to be the only way he related how hard he was biting. Only took him about 4 times of me doing that and he quit that. :D

Good luck, keep us posted on how he does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts