Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, it has been a while. Things have been going very well with me and Cooper & I'm so thankful to have him in my life.

One of the unusual things I have noticed is every now & then, he does this strange thing with his head and teeth and I'm not certain what it is. I was able to snag a video of it the other day:

Any ideas or suggestions as to what it could be? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
another blast from the past!
hmm. my first reaction is something neurological. it looks involuntary. those muscle contractions in his head look slightly "spastic". or do you think he is doing it on purpose?
does he seem to be in any pain?
and do you notice abnormal movement in his eyes?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jo, thanks for the quick reply!

The first couple of times I saw him do it, I thought he was doing it on purpose. But now, I'm not so sure. I try to get his attention when it happens but he doesn't respond. I also cannot tell if he is in pain when it happens, but it sure does sound strange...like he's grinding teeth or something.

I was thinking maybe they are seizures, but I honestly just don't know. Next time it happens, I'll keep a very close eye on him and report on the results.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I think you're right. some kind of seizure. especially if he isn't responding.
those head muscles are flexing big time. he is biting down pretty hard and without anything in his mouth, i'm sure his teeth are smashing together.
OR maybe he is just a weirdo. (fingers crossed).
if the vet indicates a neurological issue. my company manufacturers this product. let me know if you are interested.
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Font

Gotti had some kind of episode himself about 2 years ago. something like a stroke. he suffered minor facial paralysis which has recovered about 90%. combined with his old CCL injury, arthritis, and mild dementia, i was driven to develop the product as part of our existing line for humans.

Reactions: Nubwagon

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
It def looks seizure like. The teeth grinding alone would have me at the vet. But the muscle flexing in his head are something I would def want looked at.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks again for the replies! I am going to have him checked out by my vet. I have only actually seen him do it maybe 4 or 5 times, but that's not to say it isn't happening when I'm not around.

Is the vet able to diagnose it even though it doesn't actually happen when he's there? I probably can send her the link to the video.

Thanks again all!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Yah. bring your phone and show her the video during the exam.
most likely they will do a blood analysis. and urinalysis. certain proteins, cell counts, and sugar levels can actually indicate some causes for seizures. prayers for Coop.

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
Hey Bradd, sorry to hear about Cooper having troubles but glad you have two of the more knowledgeable members helping you. We will be waiting to hear what the vet has to say. Best of luck bud.

Joe

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joe. I haven't noticed it happening very often at all which is good, but it's still very concerning. I'm hoping for the best but can't help but think the worst.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would love to hear when you have an update on your gorgeous Cooper. My first reaction on viewing your clip was seizures. Although that is not a diagnosis anybody wants to get re: our best friend, it is most often handled quite well with medication. What I have learned from observing videos posted by dog owners when their dogs are having seizures is this: Some dogs just want to be left untouched, they go through the seizure, jump up and run off perfectly fine, and others don't seem to mind being soothed a bit. I am on Instagram and viewed this on videos of assorted breeds. Hope this helps but seizures may not be the problem. That video will definitely help your vet determine the issue. MB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts