Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a red nose who is 7 years old. I'm concerned he may not be getting adequate strength conditioning. Someone suggested getting a doggy weight vest for him to wear when we go running. Any thoughts on this? Have you used/known anyone who's used it? Was it effective? What would be appropriate vitamins to supplement the additional workload? Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont like weighted vests or collars just my prefrence though. you can get great results just doing running, hand walking, fetch , weight pulling training {proper harness is worn and he drags weight } . If you post a pic of your dog though we can give our opinion if you like. At 7 years I would maybe lean away from any weight / resistance training DEPENDING on the dog, if he isnt used to it he is getting to the older age where you may not want to put that strain on him. Does he like to swim? { just a note if wanting to do some sort of weight training , I would have him checked out and xrays on hips and joints to make sure there is nothing you can be making worse by starting this.}

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I attached a recent photo, hope you can see it! Yes, he does like to swim! We live in hawaii, so I take him to the beach every weekend and he swims around. I throw his tennis ball out in the ocean, and he fetches. Good thing you mentioned hip/joint issues...I hadn't thought of that!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
any weight resistance training should be done with a pull harness

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
what are the goals you have in mind? What makes you question his condition/ or exercise boundaries? at 7 yrs.. you may just want to consider lengthening the walks/swims, and upgrading to a higher quality food and possibly control the amount. There are only a few reasons to have an older dog in peak physical shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts