Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ok hopefully i got her standing right I think her back legs are kicked out too far??? let me know if this works she just turned a year { I thought she was more classic looking what you think} And could I show her UKC or ABKC?

ok lol hopefully one of those helped what you need lol let me know if you need more :)

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
Still trying to practice stacking lol so excuse crappy pics

Head:
-Too narrow muzzle
-Lacking Significant Cheek

Body:
-Long Neck lacking Tapering
-Turned Out Fronts
-Excessive Tuck
-Roach Back (could possible be the photo)
-Long Tail
-Turned in Hocks (might be the photos)

Overall Impression: Lacking a bit of substance. Small standard, I would probably attempt to add some weight and continue to condition the dog and then take some new photos for re-evaluation.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
ok Devin, not that I am tryin to argue, and I am in NOOOO way a judge or any kind of expert on the bully but why do y'all like them so thick, I think Blue looks awesome, I really do like to see a bully in shape with some muscle tone, natural and in a good working condition. :D

What do you mean by lackin significant cheek?? ANd I see the roach back but I think that is due tot he pic, sorry I am not trying to argue, I amtrying to learn is all :D And from what I haev seen he does have a long neck but I thought the original RE dogs had longer necks, see this is where my outcrossing with EB's and Presa's and stuff come in, did they do that to shorten the dog's neck, ughhh ok ok don't answer these, let me come back when I haven't been drinking :D

Thanks Devin, please don't take what I am saying as a knock, i really am trying to learn :D

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I am just curious are you basing your opinions off the ABKC standards? Because both of these dog's don't really fit the ABKC standards at least not the standards they have now. They are more on the UKC side of the fence structure wise well at least Luna is. I have never owned a bully nor have I been to an ABKC show but I know a lot of the dogs at those shows are much larger than those pictured here. So I am just trying to get a better perspective as to which standard you are using here to judge these dogs.

Thanks

Sadie

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
ok hopefully i got her standing right I think her back legs are kicked out too far??? let me know if this works she just turned a year { I thought she was more classic looking what you think} And could I show her UKC or ABKC?

ok lol hopefully one of those helped what you need lol let me know if you need more :)
Head:
-Could use slightly more padding in the top skull

Body:
-Slight rise in backline
-Lacking Rear Angulation
-Lacking Turn to Stifle
-Narrow Chest
-Lacking Shoulder
-Could use a bit more Forechest.

Overall Impression: I actually like this dog for an ABKC Classic Class. Although it is bit lacking in rear assembly and the animal is not square.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes he is basing it off of the ABKC standard...these people wanted to know how their dogs would possibly do in the ABKC show ring...

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Head:
-Too narrow muzzle
-Lacking Significant Cheek

Body:
-Long Neck lacking Tapering
-Turned Out Fronts
-Excessive Tuck
-Roach Back (could possible be the photo)
-Long Tail
-Turned in Hocks (might be the photos)

Overall Impression: Lacking a bit of substance. Small standard, I would probably attempt to add some weight and continue to condition the dog and then take some new photos for re-evaluation.
I will try some actual stacking photos but thanks for your op. I knew it would be tough in the ABKC since I like him leaner than what I normally see.
He's not roach backed but i can Deff see how you would see it- it's the pic. His rear is a little bit higher but not very little. It really depends on how he stands. I guess I might stick to w/p.

Here's two diff pics so u can see some other types of photos - do you think he needs more weight? Honestly- not trying to nit pick- just really curious.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well IMO Luna would def do better in the UKC .. Mach0 if you put some weight on your boy he would have a better chance at competing in the ABKC ... But he's too small as of now to fit the ABKC standards you want to show him in the ABKC your going to have to beef him up. Roach back and some rib showing is ok for ADBA dogs but not UKC/ABKC dog's lol. Anyway Continue on ....

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
thanks loud mouf appreciate your thoughts, she is 1 will any of her flaws improve as she ages I know I have seen her fill out a TON more in the last 2-3 months Im wondering if her head will gain more cushion as she grows? and maybe her shoulders and chest will fill out more?

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
ok Devin, not that I am tryin to argue, and I am in NOOOO way a judge or any kind of expert on the bully but why do y'all like them so thick, I think Blue looks awesome, I really do like to see a bully in shape with some muscle tone, natural and in a good working condition. :D

What do you mean by lackin significant cheek?? ANd I see the roach back but I think that is due tot he pic, sorry I am not trying to argue, I amtrying to learn is all :D And from what I haev seen he does have a long neck but I thought the original RE dogs had longer necks, see this is where my outcrossing with EB's and Presa's and stuff come in, did they do that to shorten the dog's neck, ughhh ok ok don't answer these, let me come back when I haven't been drinking :D

Thanks Devin, please don't take what I am saying as a knock, i really am trying to learn :D
I will be the first to tell you I believe a bully should be conditioned and not overweight. BUT you have to remember that the American Bully is NOT a working breed, it is a companion breed and does require that the dog carry more substance. I guess the only way I can describe it in basic terms, the height/weight ratio should be overdone and excessive compared to a working breed. What it should not be is: lacking muscle definition. These are not sloppy fat dogs. "They [American Bullies] should medium/large dog with muscular bodies and blocky heads"

If you refer to ABKC Breed Standards you will notice the standard refers to "very pronounced cheek". If you refer to apbtconformation.com the best example of what I am referring to is under the Head Structure you will find a section where they refer to "The Cheek muscles are also becoming overly developed as one of those fad characteristics. Cheek muscles should be prominent but not exaggerated. There is a standard and the standard does not present a dog that has gross overly developed cheek musclulature."- That is a direct definition of what an American Bully SHOULD have.

Actually quite the contray, short necks is not a trait of mixing breeding. Ironically it is a trait that comes from the Amstaff lines which also added alot of the excessive cheek. A Presa or any other Mastiff would not shorten the necks and will add excessive dewlap and excessive loose skin.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well IMO Luna would def do better in the UKC .. Mach0 if you put some weight on your boy he would have a better chance at competing in the ABKC ... But he's too small as of now to fit the ABKC standards you want to show him in the ABKC your going to have to beef him up. Roach back and some rib showing is ok for ADBA dogs but not UKC/ABKC dog's lol. Anyway Continue on ....
:p
Idk if I wanna show ABKC- unless I can thicken him up and keep him looking good and athletic.

Loudmouf- Ty for your input.While I understand the ambully is a companion not a working breed-I prefer a working capable dog.just my personal pref. I'm kind of stuck lol.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
I am just curious are you basing your opinions off the ABKC standards? Because both of these dog's don't really fit the ABKC standards at least not the standards they have now. They are more on the UKC side of the fence structure wise well at least Luna is. I have never owned a bully nor have I been to an ABKC show but I know a lot of the dogs at those shows are much larger than those pictured here. So I am just trying to get a better perspective as to which standard you are using here to judge these dogs.

Thanks

Sadie
I wouldn't say either dog fit the revised UKC breed standard for the APBT. I am not sure how much show experience you have, but they would call both dogs very much overdone. Now I would agree with you that they are very fitting of the previous UKC breed standard.

Thus far I am reviewing the dogs to the ABKC Classic Breed Standard based on the written breed standard along with my experience within both the American Bully and APBT communities. By your own account you have never attended an ABKC event, and if you read my disclaimer I noted it is very difficult for me to evaluate by pics without actually seeing the actual size and movement of the animal. But make no mistake I have seen American Bullies come in all shapes and sizes, just as you have with the APBT........it is much more important to review Breed Type and Balance over actual size figures.

This isn't the best picture of her, but this was a dog I showed in the UKC. Knowlwood and Gaff blood and probably a good example of what an ABKC Classic female looks like. If the ABKC had been established when I was showing this girl, I am sure she would have championed out easily within the ABKC Classic class.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
:p
Idk if I wanna show ABKC- unless I can thicken him up and keep him looking good and athletic.

Loudmouf- Ty for your input.While I understand the ambully is a companion not a working breed-I prefer a working capable dog.just my personal pref. I'm kind of stuck lol.
I am absolutely agree. I actually own the very first American Bully to very compete in SplashDogs dock diving. He was very athletic while still carrying bully traits. I think it is a misunderstanding of the breed which makes people think that the American Bully is suppose to be a grossly overdone sloppy fat dog. It's a balancing act and honestly I love your dog's rear assembly!!!! With more weight I think he could have a chance in the ABKC.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am absolutely agree. I actually own the very first American Bully to very compete in SplashDogs dock diving. He was very athletic while still carrying bully traits. I think it is a misunderstanding of the breed which makes people think that the American Bully is suppose to be a grossly overdone sloppy fat dog. It's a balancing act and honestly I love your dog's rear assembly!!!! With more weight I think he could have a chance in the ABKC.
Thank you bud- lets see. I have made him lose alot of fat-when our winter is over- I'm going to be doing some drag to up the definition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One thing we have to remember is not all dogs are show quality and just because a dog doesn't fit one registry's standard doesn't mean it will fit the other registry's standard.

Reactions: aimee235

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm assuming you meant won't fit another standard. If that's the case- point well made.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
ok so my niece was wondering how you think Gage would do at the ABKC show, we have gotten many opinions, but my niece saw that you were here, lol, yes she has been doing her homework, she wanted your input on Gage :D

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
alright here ya go Devin, my niece wants to show her blue bully boy Gage in a few weekends at the ABKC show here in Austin, it will be her first show, ok so these pics might be bad but it was the first time we had ever stacked him, maybe the second, lol

front view -

side view -

rear view -

natural stack -

ok so I know he is a bit cow-hocked, I also know that it can be fixed, well he can be stacked right to make that go away, it does not show up when he is in movement though. I wanna say he is about 9 mo. old.

And thank you for answermng my questions I appreciate that, I know the Bully was meant to be a companion dog, but I still think even bullies should be in shape on not fat or overweight, I see it alot, makes me feel bad for those, any dog for that fact that is overweight. I do like that red and white bitch you posted eartlier, I am really liking the classic bully style :D
ok so my niece was wondering how you think Gage would do at the ABKC show, we have gotten many opinions, but my niece saw that you were here, lol, yes she has been doing her homework, she wanted your input on Gage :D
May my niece and I please get some feedback on Gage, she wants to show him next week at the show here in Austin and she is a bit disappointed that noone has answered, she just won't say anything, lol. She is super excited about it and really wants to show him, some tips or pointers would be nice as well, thanks :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
May my niece and I please get some feedback on Gage, she wants to show him next week at the show here in Austin and she is a bit disappointed that noone has answered, she just won't say anything, lol. She is super excited about it and really wants to show him, some tips or pointers would be nice as well, thanks :D
I'm not an ABKC judge and by no means do I consider myself an expert on structure but I do believe I'm a more knowledgeable than your average bully owner so please don't take my opinion negatively.

First off, one thing that is very important to remember is "breed type"; your dog has to look like an American Bully. Lacking breed type is something I believe judges are definitely looking for in the ring and that is why you will have dogs that are structurally better but not place over dogs who have "breed type" but maybe have some minor faults.

So looking at the pictures of your dog and comparing them to the Classic standard, my first impression would be that he lacks breed type. The ABKC states "the American Bully should give the impression of great strength for its size"; in my opinion your dog does not exude strength.

Structurally:
Head - lacks pronounced cheeks, distinct stop; narrow muzzle

Body - overall body lacks substance; could have better rear and shoulder angulation; narrow chest

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl
1 - 20 of 107 Posts