Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i brought Cheza out and about to do a training session tonight and she does her comes sit and downs really well with the small soft chews i have for her, but when working on heal she gets really distracted (looks at the people walking around tries to sniff the ground ect) and won't sit for me when i stop. Now one of my training buddies had brought some chunks of meat loaf for her emergency recalls for her dogs and when i tried heal with that Cheza had her A game going, so question is what do yall think would be a descent smelling food that i could make for her to work on her heals, and it can't the best of the best because i need to save that for when i start her on her emergency recall.

I had thought about maybe some ground chicken with some garlic mixed in but what do yall use for your stubborn dogs?

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
IDK, when i started the heel with Mel. I broke the training down very small.

You may be moving too quickly for her especially with distractions.

Heel from the front, you luer the dog to the side with the treat

I only take one step forward and let the dog sit at the foot, then I pivot back to my original position with feet together, and bring her back to my left. You can also do quarter turns.

Doing it small like this in the begining shows your dog that heel is their shoulder next to your thigh. It builds confidence giving them smaller tasks that they can excell at and the finished product is much prettier, as a result a dog who loves to work.

After a few sessions of quarter turns, one step forward, one step back you can move to doing three to four paces in one direction.

The treat should be accessible to your dog throughout the entire heeling exercise, hold the treat right infront of your left thigh that way the dog has to turn their neck around your thigh.

Maybe try the pepperoni minis, or something super cheap like chicken hotdogs. IDK, i don't have "special" treats for a recall... i give my regular treats with a crap load of vocal encouragement.

Reactions: dixieland

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thank you girl, i was thinking the same thing about asking to much to soon, the little booger was just being so smart i thought she could handle it, guess i need to go back to yard parctice first

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
IDK, when i started the heel with Mel. I broke the training down very small.

You may be moving too quickly for her especially with distractions.

Heel from the front, you luer the dog to the side with the treat

I only take one step forward and let the dog sit at the foot, then I pivot back to my original position with feet together, and bring her back to my left. You can also do quarter turns.

Doing it small like this in the begining shows your dog that heel is their shoulder next to your thigh. It builds confidence giving them smaller tasks that they can excell at and the finished product is much prettier, as a result a dog who loves to work.

After a few sessions of quarter turns, one step forward, one step back you can move to doing three to four paces in one direction.

The treat should be accessible to your dog throughout the entire heeling exercise, hold the treat right infront of your left thigh that way the dog has to turn their neck around your thigh.

Maybe try the pepperoni minis, or something super cheap like chicken hotdogs. IDK, i don't have "special" treats for a recall... i give my regular treats with a crap load of vocal encouragement.
:goodpost: I was thinking along those same lines

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Are you talking about a formal heel like for competition or just going for a walk? there is a big difference between the two. Also have you taught a watch command? If so does the dog watch your eyes or a watch point?
Lisa, she wants to get into rally.

Sorry Aireal I jumped the gun and answered for you.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rofl ive totally been missing my own thread, anyway ya i am working on "eyes" she is doing pretty well at it. so i should make sure she has a good eyes before ever starting a heal? Question how long should she be holding "eyes"

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lisa, she wants to get into rally.

Sorry Aireal I jumped the gun and answered for you.
its all good :) hey when do you wanna do some more training, i know your phone is done for lol
pm me

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ok so when you say eye she is looking at you for how long? Once she is looking good then toss a toy or add distraction and if she looks away pop the leash and enforce the eye command. When she looks back to you praise and treat. Once you have a watch or eye command th you have proofed for a few weeks th you are ready to heel. So no heeling till you have a Solid eye command.

Look at Crush she is not 100% the whole time she is heeling but we are working on it. Watch how she is looking at me when I have her attention the watch command is taught first then you work on heeling. Heeling is nothing more than a moving watch command.

Siren is much better than Crush she watches the whole time and this should be your goal.

Are you using food for your eye command? If not you should be using a ton of food.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok gotcha, thank you for that, i totally haven't been doing that enough or quit right, man i wish you where closer id love to take your classes

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would love to help! lol and I will as much as I can on the internet. Work on that and tell me how it goes or if you need more help then we will talk about step 2. If I miss the thread send me a message and tell me to go read it ;)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rofl yes maam i absolutly will!!!!

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey PK so I have been working on my "eyes" command and she is doing really awesome, I can keep eye contact for a decent period of time and I have her where I will put her in a down do eyes and walk from her left side to the right and she will turn her head and follow me, I also notice when I had her in a down and was talking to someone not looking at her I saw out of the corner of my eye she still would be looking up at me

Anyway I think I need to do it just a pit more with other dogs/people around, but how do I know when she is ready for her next step?

i will try to get pics or even a vid soon for you to see, but wanted to update with you =)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ok now add a bit of distraction. Get a toy in your right hand and have her sitting on your left in heel. bring your hand up with the toy and if she looks at it pop the leash with your left hand and say watch, when she looks back at you praise her and give her a treat if you want. repeat till you can raise your hand and she stays looking at you, then toss the toy by her, she has to keep her eyes on you the whole time if not pop the leash and she should look right back at you. Also do it outside where there is a lot of distraction like at the pet store or park and let everything around you be the distraction and do the same thing with a pop if she look away. after she is really good with that then you are ready to take the first step to heeling. ;)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok cool, i am bringing her to petsmart tonight so i'll do that there and give you an update =)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
keeping eyes at petsmart with distractions.... FAIL
lol ok guess i got more work get back with you once i work on it more, also she gets a little distressed and won't look at me at all and starts to lower herself to the ground when i pop the collar to get her attention, should i try just a verbal correction she responds a little better to those?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You use a soft pop on a flat collar and as soon as he looks at you give a treat, you may have taken food away too early. I still use food on the watch with crush and siren especially if I am going to correct. Go back to basics and do a watch just for a few seconds and give a treat, make sure the treat is coming from your right hand across your chest and down your eye line to the dog. that way the dog is not looking some where else for the treat it should come from where your eyes are. Start again with lots of treats and add the distraction in slowly I think petsmart was too soon. You need to do it a little at a time. Let me know if that helps ;)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thank you
And yes I have been doing a flat collar and small pop, and I am still using treats MEAT she loves it!
but I think Petsmart was a little overwhelming for her, there where some really unruly GSD puppies there (for Petsmart training roffl) barking there head off and lunging on there owners leashed, she didn't know if she should hide or go meet there challenge and eat them lol all things considering I think she did fairly well with ignoring them she didn't bark once she would just break her sit and lose eye contact hackling up and I would have to lure her back into position and give the command for eyes again with lots of treats for her to focus, the entrance to the building was hard for her to sit and watch me as people and there dogs walked in and out of the store,
I think next time I will try it again just stand like 25-30 feet back from the entrance instead of like 5-10 feet see if that hopefully helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts