Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 6mo old Pitt who is by far the most stubborn dog I've ever seen lol. I've got all the basic stuff down to a science (sit, lay down, stay, etc.) but when it comes to shake I'm at a standstill. I've tried treats, showing him, tricking him, everything but he just looks at me like I'm a nutjob lol. I know repetition is the key, but any hints and tips would be great!
Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Some dogs just will not do tricks but you can keep trying. Make sure not to get negative with him for tricks or he will never do them for you. I would get some killer treats like hot dogs, liver, or even lunch meat. I put some food in my fist and let them smell it then put it by their paw. A lot of dogs will sniff my hand then when they cannot lick it out they will paw my hand and I open it up and give them the food. If that does not work take that hand with the food and put it under the back side of the paw and lift it up and give the food. It is all about associating the paw lift with getting the food.
Have fun ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Have you tried tapping his shoulder? that's how I got Mel to understand I meant his paw when I say High five. He is great now, but the first day I would lift his paw, next time I just had to start nudging his shoulder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts