Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I agree Lisa. I've done my own research on the topic and have decided to wait on s/n on my past two dogs because of the fact they need there hormones to grow and mature. I've just come to accept the fact that dogs will continue to be euthanized in mass amounts because of irresponsible and ignorant owners. It's just the reality of the animal world. I like how this article does explain that more research needs to be done. For now I will take it with a grain of salt ;) great post and find PK :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
great post thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got got this in my email today and thought it was a great study! It goes to show that science is always evolving. I agree that spay and neutering is what helps population control as many are not responsible to keep the dogs from breeding. Those of us who are responsible it shows the benefits of keep them intact.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for posting, we planned on leaving our female intact at least until fully mature...( She's 14 mos now)...good to see more evidence for the benefits of delaying/ not spaying.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
wow some cool ideas, hope they learn more. Find it a bit unnerving comparing removing my ovaries with a dogs, but animals have been linked so many times it makes sense. But I wonder what age they are comparing with humans, dogs 6, women 45? lol who knows. very interesting though.

On that note, do female dogs go through menopause and does having a spay at 6 prevent it like it would for a women who had her ovaries removed?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
The two female mixed breed dogs I had growing up were both fixed as puppies and lived to be over 14 years old. They were likely shepherd mixes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts