Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Pitbulls a male and a female. I went out of town last week and informed the individual I had dog sitting that the female was going into heat and to not let both in the same yard together. I have two secure yards that would have kept them apart without problem. However the individual didn't want to put up with the male whinning and put them together anyway. Needless to say I am a little more then peeved, considering I found out when the individual called freaking out because they didn't understand why the dogs where stuck together. Now I am home but see no point in keeping them apart since I was told they got stuck 5 times before the individual called to ask why. I was wondering how much longer she will allow him to mount that way I know how much longer I have to deal with him either mounting or whinning if I keep them apart. I had no intention on having puppy's and planned to have them fixed as soon as her heat was over. This is her 2nd heat, she is a year and half old. Please help me with this question. Thanks Heather

·
Registered
962 Posts
Keep them seperated!! And get your female to the vet for her spay ASAP.
You may have to pay more for the spay because she's in heat but it will be alot cheaper than a spay/abort or raising a litter of puppies, who may not find good homes.
If you need hep covering the cost of the spay look to local groups who help, many will be more than happy to help you prevent an unwanted litter.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
:goodpost: i didnt know that was possible to do but i recommend goin to the vet. they will have the right answers.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Agreed, get the bitch in to be spayed ASAP and find a new person to watch your dogs...

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Yeah there is no need for the bitch to have an unneeded litter just have her spayed and abort the litter.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
errrrrrrr. Get responsible dude!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
dont sweat the in particulars .. for females its best to fix them before 6 mos or to let them come in fully, drop a litter and then have them spayed. Keeps them balanced. Just my experience.

If they've stuck together 5 times you can expect puppies.. Do your best to be as responsible as possible homing them. Have the male neutered now.. It will help to calm him down before she drops a litter, especially in your house dog situation.

I didnt read if you had a crate or not but I would sure recommend one if not. An oversized petmate crate will be great for her to get comfortable in especially if you keep the screws out makes for a great whelping box.

make the appointment and have the male neutered, its cheaper to fix males then females. Contact your local SPCA see if they offer spay and neuter gift certificates/coupons for spay or neuter at various vets, we use to, to help promote people spay and neuter their pet.

Best of wishes....

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
5 Times. How could that not be intentional. Stan your a sharp tack but nothing you can say can fix the stupidity that has been allowed to take place. I do commend the op for admitting the mistakes done but id commend him/her more for never owning another dog again. Sorry i know ive pissed off everyone here but i just cant keep my mouth shut on this one

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Registered
35 Posts
i dnt usually add in but im tired of reading what everyone thinks is best for someone else's situation.just answer the question or dnt comment.to answer the question,standing heat can last from 7-9 days in my experience so an experienced male will stop when she no longer accepts him,unexperienced males will try and try till the heat is completely over.he will also stay interested in her (smelling,examining her).i think they can tell somethings different when she becomes preg.good luck with whatever u decide to do.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
People do tend to offer advice, it's a message board. Th OP was offered several options for dealing with the situation, some of which they might night have realized were options. Kind of the way these things operate.

Since you weren't planning on breeding her anyway, I would go ahead with the spay. My opinion, of course, is skewed in that direction because I know how hard finding responsible homes for puppies is (selling them is pretty easy, selling them to people who aren't going to be e-mailing me or someone like me in 9 months begging us to take them is another)

Good luck.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
i dnt usually add in but im tired of reading what everyone thinks is best for someone else's situation.just answer the question or dnt comment.to answer the question,standing heat can last from 7-9 days in my experience so an experienced male will stop when she no longer accepts him,unexperienced males will try and try till the heat is completely over.he will also stay interested in her (smelling,examining her).i think they can tell somethings different when she becomes preg.good luck with whatever u decide to do.
This is a public forum, if you don't want peoples opinions then don't ask. We are a forum that educates, we are not one of those forums that sits back and pats people on the back for making needless puppies that are extremely likely to end up either in the pound or being bred themselves and starting the cycle all over. Not saying that is going to happen with this litter, that depends on what the owner does as for taking responsibility for what is happening with his animals.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Trust me you DONT want her to have puppies. Been there done that. My female had pups about 12 weeks ago and it was the most stressful thing ever!! You have to sit there by her side constantly! She had her first 1 at 10:30 in the mornin and her last 1 at 7! And it sure is MESSY,She had 10 of them, you have to sit there to make sure she dont smash any of them and rotate them at feeding! Its alot of work and really exspensive taken all them to the vet. I will NEVER have puppies again! I sure did learn my lesson from ths exsperience.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Maybe you should still keep quiet ..

Don't ask a question that you don't expect to get an honest opinion about.. and everyone has a different one ;)

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Maybe you should still keep quiet ..

Lol:rofl:

Don't ask a question that you don't expect to get an honest opinion about.. and everyone has a different one ;)
:goodpost:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sorry I dont believe in Abortion period, human or dogs due to personal beliefs and morals.I don't feel money should deside life. If I have to I will keep and raise all of them on the ranch until I find them proper homes. I do believe in Spaying and plan on doing it after this litter. I appreciate all who actually answered the question I asked. It is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks FireHazard - I respect your answer the most and will do as you suggested.

dont sweat the in particulars .. for females its best to fix them before 6 mos or to let them come in fully, drop a litter and then have them spayed. Keeps them balanced. Just my experience.

If they've stuck together 5 times you can expect puppies.. Do your best to be as responsible as possible homing them. Have the male neutered now.. It will help to calm him down before she drops a litter, especially in your house dog situation.

I didnt read if you had a crate or not but I would sure recommend one if not. An oversized petmate crate will be great for her to get comfortable in especially if you keep the screws out makes for a great whelping box.

make the appointment and have the male neutered, its cheaper to fix males then females. Contact your local SPCA see if they offer spay and neuter gift certificates/coupons for spay or neuter at various vets, we use to, to help promote people spay and neuter their pet.

Best of wishes....

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Registered
35 Posts
im just saying you could atleast answer the question then suggest other options that can be taken.i think i was the only one to actually answer the question.

and theres no need for the name calling

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think the OP has gotten the advice needed and now has options to go off of. If you choose to go through with the pregnancy please use the search at the top and look into what to expect and what to have ready for when she whelps , a good site to check out is this one
Whelping Puppies, Breeding Dogs
scroll to the bottom it gives you a pregnancy calendar and what all is needed for the bitch as she progresses through her pregnancy I suggest you read through this site a few times over.
As well when your placing the pups if you need help with questions and things to check and ask potential owners just ask. You can also have the pups fixed before they leave your care as well to ensure they aren't bred.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I have been researching and reading every post, forum and info site I can find. I have purchased all the materials to build the whelping box and all the towels and new blankets. I still have to get the solution for the cords if it is needed. I appreciate all the information. Also it was the 15th of April that it happened the first time from what I was told. I have started the calender. I understand that there is people on here that feel unless there is papers there is no reason to have the dog because unpapered dogs dont have a right to live and I respect their opinions. However both of these dogs I recieved as rescues. People who purchased them, had all their shots done, vet checks and all done but once they got bigger had one reason or another not to want them. My female was given to me because the woman thought she wouldn't get bigger then 40 pounds and she lived in an apt. The male I recieved because they also lived in an apt and the wife was fixing to give birth to her child and didn't want a pit around. So I completely understand how many puppies are purchased and then once they are dogs they are no longer wanted. However I feel all animals should have a chance and people dont realize that there are just as many with papers in the shelters as their are without, but people dropping them off or abandoning them dont exactly care to give the shelter their papers. I understand that the papers make them a purer breed and etc. however I dont have to have a piece of paper to love my dogs just as much as ones with a piece of paper. I mean honestly it would be like someone aborting their child because they dont like the father's family history. I just wish people could show respect and understand that for one accidents happen and to life is life, a piece of paper doesnt change the dog. Thank you all very much for your input, the mature ones are greatly respected. Thanks, Heather.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I am sorry I dont believe in Abortion period, human or dogs due to personal beliefs and morals.I don't feel money should deside life. If I have to I will keep and raise all of them on the ranch until I find them proper homes. I do believe in Spaying and plan on doing it after this litter. I appreciate all who actually answered the question I asked. It is extremely appreciated.
if you can fully care for the possibility of 12 puppies that fine, but you do need to make sure you can provide a true quality of life for All these animals if you don't want to end it know. You also need to be will to risk the life of your dog so that she can give birth to these puppies as its not as easy as most people think. Dog have many issues birthing puppies. If you prepared to do all that then thats ok, as long as you fully understand what is coming,

i hope you stay an active member here so that we can help you as this goes along f you are sure you want to keep this litter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts