Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 10 week old blue nose is a little possessive of bones and treats. He has growled at my daughter while she tries to play with him while he has one and will growl at my 6 month old pit as well. Don't want this growing into a worse behavior, whats an effective way to discourage this behavior especially since it might be hard to correct him right when he does it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You can reprimand every time he growls with a swift NO and then remove the bone. Wait a few minutes and give it back to him. Then send your daughter over there and make sure he doesn't growl. If he does repeat/

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would not let him have the bone when your daughter wants to play with him. I would replace the bone with a ball or a tug that they could interact with. He could have a bone when he has his quite time in his kennel.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I'd also suggest you...

Start practicing NILIF

Hand feed the pup all meals for at least a week and have your daughter help with this

Do not let the other APBT by the pup when he is eating a high value treat item as that is just asking for an issue

IMO they should be fed separately if there already is an issue

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
My little 10 week old blue nose is a little possessive of bones and treats. He has growled at my daughter while she tries to play with him while he has one and will growl at my 6 month old pit as well. Don't want this growing into a worse behavior, whats an effective way to discourage this behavior especially since it might be hard to correct him right when he does it.
Did you do a temperament test on the pup before purchasing it or did you just get it based on looks? Also, was the pup the last one or were there more to pick from the liter?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO they should be fed separately if there already is an issue
eating has never been a problem, they share every meal togather, and interacting with either one of them during meal time has been ok to.

Did you do a temperament test on the pup before purchasing it or did you just get it based on looks? Also, was the pup the last one or were there more to pick from the liter?
The pup was bought off a buddy who learned he would be going oversees and had purchased the little guy at a bad time so I knew nothing about where he came from.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would say have your daughter feed the pup for a week or so, while you watch. Your dog isn't seeing your dog as the "Alpha Kid" and that could become a habit. We have a squirel and a ball that our son plays with, when he is wanting to play with the puppy. She love pouncing it and it funny to watch the to play. When it comes to her bone though, our puppy won't have anyone take it away.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
eating has never been a problem, they share every meal togather, and interacting with either one of them during meal time has been ok to.

The pup was bought off a buddy who learned he would be going oversees and had purchased the little guy at a bad time so I knew nothing about where he came from.
Not off to a great start listen to the members and read as much as you can. A Pitbull shouldn't display human agression to its family no matter what. Hand feeding the dog can help aliviate that a little bit, also make sure that your daughter is repectful of the dog at all times and supervise their interaction. Are the dogs in the house both males?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts