Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has 2 pit bulls, a male and female who are father and daughter and in the last few days, the male has become aggressive toward the female. A little back story to make this make sense.

The male (Champ) is about 10 years old and has been living with my friend's sister's family (sis, brother in law, niece and nephew) since he was about 6 weeks old. They lived in the upstairs part of the house and my friend and their mom live in the 1st floor. Sis and family moved across country a few weeks ago, leaving Champ behind.
The female (Bella) is one of Champs offspring and is about 2 1/2 years old.
She has been living with my friend and her mom since she was 5 weeks old. The two dogs have interacted on an almost daily basis. But essentially, they have both been "only dogs" as they each had different owners and living areas.
Until just a few days ago, they have gotten along just fine. Playing and romping around together.

I am pretty sure that Champ is jealous because he's used to being the center of attention with "his" people and now he has to share with Bella. Plus. I would think he is confused about being abandoned. He is with people he knows, but "his people" are no longer there.

Yesterday, with no warning that my friend noticed, Champ attacked Bella and injured her nose and caught his tooth in my friend's hand. She doesn't want to get rid of Champ. She promised her niece that she would keep Champ until he died, and that is a promise she intends to keep.

When she asked me for advice, I mentioned the jealousy and abandonment issues and suggested she keep them separated as much as possible and to give Champ a little more 1-1 time. Are we on the right track? Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Agreed. Most people try and attach it to emotions but truth be told, dog aggression is a genetic trait many bull breeds share. Some may show signs of DA early on, some once they hit maturity around 2 years old, and some never show DA at all, but when owning these dogs it's something you should be aware of and prepared for if you own multiples. Once a fight happens it usually keeps escalating and dogs very rarely go back to being "friends."
Best thing to do is to crate and rotate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do admit that I attribute human emotions to my animals. I have had no personal experience with pittties, other than visiting my friend's house and being nearly licked to death by Bella.
If I am understanding correctly, Champ's behavior has nothing to do with his owners moving away and it's just a coincidence that his aggression came about at the same time, right? I ill pass this info along to her and hope that this solves her situation.
Also, the 1st time Champ snapped at Bella, my friend locked him out of her bedroom so he couldn't get to Bella and he laid at the door and whimpered and whined for several hours. Is that normal? I know my chi mix will cry of she can't get to me. My other two couldn't care less.
Sorry about so many questions and lengthy posts, but I really want to help my friend.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Look up crate an rotate on here with the search bar. There's lots of info on it. How old is the dog? It normally sets in at maturity generally like KG said. Dog aggression is very manageable. When the dogs are separated give them something like a frozen stuffed kong to keep them busy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There was something that they were fighting over most likely your friend did not notice. Also older dogs can get annoyed by younger ones. Maybe he needs more space and doesn't want her in his business all the time.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The aggressive one is a 10 yr old male. They have been keeping them apart, although not crated. Champ is downstairs with the mom and Bella is upstairs with my friend.
I have dogs get along for 9 years then one day try and kill each other and never be able to be with each other again. This is normal for this breed but I would take the old dog to the vet. It could be that he is in pain for something, teeth, arthritis, or maybe sick like cancer can make an old dog irritable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts