Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this isn't the best day by a long shot. Went out to the barn gonna let the goats out and three of my goats were dead. Odessa (9yrs old), Lussia (5yrs old) and Nikitta (1yr old). I have no idea what happened. I bought them a sweet lick and sweet feed. But I have given tem those things in the past too. Every winter I buy the sweet licks as it has vitamins and minerals that they don't get when there is snow on the ground.

I hope I don't lose any others. I only have 6 goats left. Nara and Benoi are both 9yr old they are Odessa's brother and sister. Palace will be 9yr old in March, Jonesy will 5 in April, Azule will be 4yrs old in March and Amada she is the youngest now at almost 3. Her birthday is in Feb.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Oh thats so sad. I hate losing any animals even my rats are special to me:(

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
OMG I am so sorry for your loss....

Are you going to have a necropsy done?

I will you and all your other babies in my prayers...

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I wanted anything done I would have to take them down to the U of Minnesota. I can't afford that. So I will never know what made my goats die. I just hope i don't lose any others.

Holly I know what you mean. I loved my rats when I had them. I love all of my animals. It hurts so bad to lose one. I lost all of my geese this past fall too. I know that they all died becasue of old age tho. In fact everyone I talked too had never heard of a goose living for 10yrs.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
OH I am so sorry! :( I doubt a sweet lick would have done anything I have used those for my livestock in the past they are just minerals. Thats terrible though I hate not knowing.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, I had 2 goats in the past and my neighbor hated them and one day I came home from work to find both goats wrapped in aluminum foil bar-b-qued, I was sooooo devastated and pissed to say the least but nothing could be done since there wasn't proof, but I knew it was that damn neighbor of mine. Anyways, I wonder if their was something in the feed that was accidentally put in, unless your other goats ate it too and were fine. Hmmm.... so sorry, I truly hope your other 6 will be fine.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it sucks not knowing. I didn't think it was the sweet lick but it is the only thing that changed in the last few weeks. I actually was wondering if something was put in there that wasn't suppose to be. I called one of the large animal vets to see if anyone else has had trouble but no reports other than mine. The vet said it was strange too casue of the different ages.

3,968 Posts
im sorry for your loss. that is so strange you just found them like that they werent showing noticable signs of illness before hand? too bad you cant really find out what happened they werent even my goats and i feel so concerned for them. well good luck hopefully things even out for you and you wont have anymore unexpected deaths.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Other than a poisoning I can't think of anything that would have affected all three at different ages, unless they have some sort of undetected disease. Maybe get a vet out to check out the remaining goats and make sure they aren't carrying anything.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
That is awful! I'm very sorry for your losses.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
gee, that's crazy, i have never heard of lick blocks giving any ill side effects, i'm sorry for your loss. but you sound like me, over a dozen head of cattle and every single one has a name! keep us posted on what you find out!

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Sorry to hear about your losses Mikado.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't know if I will ever find out. I really don't think anyone poisoned them. I mean right now anyone coming into the yard would have to come up the driveway as we have about 24in of snow. My barn is about 100yd from the house and we have the two outside dogs. I checked out the hay looking for mold but it is beautiful hay plus we have been buying from the same person for 8yrs.

RIP Odessa, Lussia and Nikitta.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Oh man I hate to hear terrible news like this. I'm sending good vibes your way for the rest of 2009. I feel like this saying has been over used in this thread, but it's the best one for the situation... I'm so sorry!:(

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
That sucks, Sharon. I hate to hear it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts