Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and got nutro max for my 10 wk old pup (it fits my budget and the ingrediants are decent for the price) and I plan on moving him up to nutro adult food later. He has taken to the puppy kibble slowly but surely with no issues. I also plan on using fish oil caps for his coat and cooked chicken as a bonus from time to time. Besides treats for training and exercise daily, are there any other recommendations for a primo healthy puppy diet? I don't like using canned food as it causes a mess in the yard if you know what I mean. I've just never had luck with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You don't want to give too much extra stuff in the food, kibble and fish oil is all you really need. If you are going to feed Nutro max it is full of fillers they sell a food at Costco called Kirkland brand and it much cheaper than Nutro and the quality is better with less fillers. The puppy food is chicken and rice and is 12.99 for 20lbs the adult chicken and rice is 25.99 for 40lbs, you can't beat that price and the food is a much better food. Perfect for those on a budget ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks performance. I used to get my food from Costco before my membership expired. When choosing the kibble this round I was going off the feed chart sticky off this site, and I thought Nutro scored a B-ish ? Maybe the Max for pups is worse, as I haven't even reviewed the exact ingredients thinking all lines of Nutro would be decent. My store choices are petsmart, pet extreme, and target/walmart, though those only sell pedigree and purina (which I heard are even worse). I need decent ingredients for a decent price, not ol' roy but not wellness either, ya know? Either way, thanks for the heads up, and any other suggestions are appreciated in advance. I'll pay better attention to the ingredients on the back of the bag during my next visit and see if I can find a better kibble for my buck.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
p.s. cooked chicken is no good since the cooking process derives it of all its nutrients... if u add it to your kibble raw is so much better for them. and i totally swear by kirkland brand- mine were on it til my job started takin better care of all of us ;) lmao

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. So I shouldn't even boil it? I thought there was risk of passing on a disease from feeding raw chicken...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nope they can handle any raw meat- I would personally stay away from raw pork but I think the main issue with that is in the bones. Regardless- meat is the healthiest in raw form for them. Considering a wild dogs diet being completely natural and raw- frozen chicken breasts won't hurt ur pup a bit ;) even chicken bones in raw form are ok. After they are cooked they pose a threat because they splinter and can pierce thru the digestive tract and do serious internal damage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope they can handle any raw meat- I would personally stay away from raw pork but I think the main issue with that is in the bones. Regardless- meat is the healthiest in raw form for them. Considering a wild dogs diet being completely natural and raw- frozen chicken breasts won't hurt ur pup a bit ;) even chicken bones in raw form are ok. After they are cooked they pose a threat because they splinter and can pierce thru the digestive tract and do serious internal damage.
Thank you for not only answering my question but for explaining it too! I thought I remembered somethin about feeding cooked chicken, lol. Much appreciated by myself and Duke.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You would be suprised what ppl here can yeah ya ;) I'm just a product of their knowledge. There's actually a whole section on raw feeding under health and nutrition that probly explains more about raw food better than I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts