Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why isn't there a sticky for appropriate supplements to add to a dogs diet? Unless of course I am overlooking something. I know of some but others may have more information. :)

Plain yogurt with at least 7 live and active cultures. Probiotics that aid in digestion and eliminates some unhealthy bacteria especially when administering antibiotics. Yogurt contains lots of "friendly" bacteria which keep the digestive track working well.
MSM- Often used in conjunction with glucosamine to help treat and prevent arthritis and hip dysplasia
Chondroitin- aids the absorption of water and other fluids essential for healty cartilage
Glucosamine/HCL-stimulates the joints collagen production which allows for increased cartilage growth and repair
Flax seed oil- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These nutrients are essential for healthy skin and coat. The alpha-linoleic acid, a component of flax seed has immune system benefits and anti-inflammatory properties. Look for raw unprocessed oil or ground seed product. The whole seed will not provide the dog health benefits provided by ground.
Salmon/fish oils- Omega 3 fatty acids. It is good for every part of your dog. Coat, skin, joints, organ health and even brain health. Also is beneficial for joint health and may ward off arthritis.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Why isn't there a sticky for appropriate supplements to add to a dogs diet? Unless of course I am overlooking something. I know of some but others may have more information. :)

Plain yogurt with at least 7 live and active cultures. Probiotics that aid in digestion and eliminates some unhealthy bacteria especially when administering antibiotics. Yogurt contains lots of "friendly" bacteria which keep the digestive track working well.
MSM- Often used in conjunction with glucosamine to help treat and prevent arthritis and hip dysplasia
Chondroitin- aids the absorption of water and other fluids essential for healty cartilage
Glucosamine/HCL-stimulates the joints collagen production which allows for increased cartilage growth and repair
Flax seed oil- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These nutrients are essential for healthy skin and coat. The alpha-linoleic acid, a component of flax seed has immune system benefits and anti-inflammatory properties. Look for raw unprocessed oil or ground seed product. The whole seed will not provide the dog health benefits provided by ground.
Salmon/fish oils- Omega 3 fatty acids. It is good for every part of your dog. Coat, skin, joints, organ health and even brain health. Also is beneficial for joint health and may ward off arthritis.
The yogurt must be mixed with ACV because yogurt's structure cannot be opened by a dog's body; however, ACV successfully does that and it also keeps the body alkaline.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is ACV? I never heard of it. Most of the people I know just plop a tablespoon in there dogs food. I thought the live and active cultures is all they needed to benefit.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
What is ACV? I never heard of it. Most of the people I know just plop a tablespoon in there dogs food. I thought the live and active cultures is all they needed to benefit.
Apple Cider Vinegar.... In order for their body to be able to break it down it needs to be mixed with ACV because of the way yogurt is structured.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Here is some good info on ACV.

Posted by DEATHGRIP of GameDog forums
link to original post: Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar : 'Long a folk remedy, cider vinegar has been shown to improve the health of dairy cows, horses, dogs and other animals. It reduces common infections, aids whelping, improves stamina, prevents muscle fatigue after exercise, increases resistance to disease and protects against food poisoning. Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium; it normalizes acid levels [pH] in the stomach, improves digestion and the assimilation of nutrients, reduces intestinal and fecal odors, helps cure constipation, alleviates some of the symptoms of arthritis and helps prevent bladder stones and urinary tract infections.' Birds are no exception in the animal world. ACV, and we point it out that it is made of the whole red sweet apple, provides enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorous, iron, silicon and other trace elements. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2 and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid and pectin and other powerful nutrients.

Puppies - ACV promotes fast growth, therefore promoting skeletal and teeth formation in young dogs. It is beneficial especially for fast growing heavy breeds, which need high calcium intake and its assimilation. It provides essential vitamins and minerals to build stronger immunity from early life.

Mature/Older dogs - ACV is an important part of an anti-arthritis programme therefore it helps relieve stiff and sore joints. Beneficial for hip dysplasia. Effective for a broad range of cardiovascular conditions due to phyto nutrients of the red apples, ACV can contribute to reversing damage done to arteries and the tonic properties will keep the blood thinner and healthier, which promotes blood circulation.

Potassium deficiency in your pets diet causes kidney failures and stone formation. ACV is a good source to replenish it, especially if a pet is on diuretics. It also acidifies the urinary tract and due to concentrated tannins present in red apple skins prevent E. coli bacteria from attacking the lining of the urinary tract.

A pet owner can appreciate the influence of nutrition on the dogs behavior, health, longevity and performance. ACV aids natural digestion whether the dog is on raw meat/bone diet or particularly on commercially produced food. The ingredients for some foods, firstly, can originate from an unreliable source and, secondly are processed heavily and they loose some natural enzymes and proteins hence nutritional value, which is never listed on the label. Animals seem to crave to taste of the sprayed fats and ACV helps to utilise them, as well as enrich meals with minerals and vitamins naturally. More and more owners are now making their own food for the dogs, reinforcing it with unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Other uses for ACV are the prevention of muscle weakness, cramps, twitching of facial muscles, feeling the cold, calluses on elbows and hock joints, constipation, bruising too easily, pimples on skin surface, itching and irritation of the skin. Enhances stamina especially in working/hunting dogs. Improves fertility.

It is highly recommended to add a dose of ACV to your pets daily feed ration, either with wet or dry food and you will find your pet will lick the feed bowl to get every drop of the liquid as they love the taste of it.

Small dogs/puppies: 2 teaspoons per day
Medium dogs: 3 teaspoons per day
Large dogs: 4 teaspoons per day

It can be given to any animal as DAILY FEED, or as a health tonic and detox with drinking water to boost the immune system, especially if the pet is living with a smoker.

A dog receiving the ACV will not tire easily. The average dog that has not received it is good for perhaps three to four hours of hunting a day. It will hunt for eight to ten hours steadily during the day given ACV. Apple cider vinegar clearly increases the dog's endurance.

A dog receiving the ACV will maintain a good appetite and eat every meal while being used for hunting/working. A dog receiving the ACV will not lose weight while hunting. To improve fertility for breeding use 1 tablespoons once a day to produce a chemical change in the dogs' bodies favorable for breeding; The puppies are generally born stronger and more vigorous.

For hygiene and pest control - Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ringworm, other fungus, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, pneumonococcus, mange etc. are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acid inside and out. Should you experience any of these with your dog, wash your pet with a gentle shampoo, rinse thoroughly, and then spray on ACV diluted with an equal amount of warm water. Allow your dog to drip/shake dry. No need for harsh measures for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation

Make sure the ACV has the MOTHER still in it. The mother is the dark, cloudy substance in the ACV ú formed from naturally occurring pectin and apple residues - it appears as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains. The presence of the mother shows that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed. Vinegars containing the mother contain enzymes and minerals that other vinegars may not contain due to over processing, filtration and overheating

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
There are so many examples of fax seed and fish oil, etc. Do you prefer to give pills daily? Or do you always use the liquid versions to mix into dry food?

Specifically I was looking at this and didn't know if it would be bad since its tablets?

Vetri-Coat for Dogs, 120 Chewable Tablets - Pet Meds

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I get ACV anywhere? And how do I feed it to her, in her water or food?
I can get it here at most grocery stores and whole foods. You can just put a tablespoon or so into her food.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are so many examples of fax seed and fish oil, etc. Do you prefer to give pills daily? Or do you always use the liquid versions to mix into dry food?

Specifically I was looking at this and didn't know if it would be bad since its tablets?

Vetri-Coat for Dogs, 120 Chewable Tablets - Pet Meds
I buy it at whole foods in liquid form. I have been giving her 1 tablespoon twice a day in her feedings. I wouldn't bother with the tablets. And get the type that I listed in the OP. :)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I can get it here at most grocery stores and whole foods. You can just put a tablespoon or so into her food.
Its ok to plop that into her dry kibble? Tablespoon with both meals or just once a day?

I am researching on how to switch her over to raw but in the meantime I love learning new things I can give her, the healthier she is the healthier I am.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its ok to plop that into her dry kibble? Tablespoon with both meals or just once a day?

I am researching on how to switch her over to raw but in the meantime I love learning new things I can give her, the healthier she is the healthier I am.
I might do raw some day but I am still a little hesitant about it. Right now she is on the Blue Buffalo which is a great quality food.

Hmmm, not sure of the actual amount to give dogs but hopefully someone may chime in on that. And yes, I would mix it into her food and just plop it in....you can add a tablespoon of plain yogurt to. I started using flax seed oil in my girls food 2 weeks ago and you need sunglasses to look at her outside LOL! She is getting so shiney :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is some good info on ACV.

Posted by DEATHGRIP of GameDog forums
link to original post: Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar : 'Long a folk remedy, cider vinegar has been shown to improve the health of dairy cows, horses, dogs and other animals. It reduces common infections, aids whelping, improves stamina, prevents muscle fatigue after exercise, increases resistance to disease and protects against food poisoning. Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium; it normalizes acid levels [pH] in the stomach, improves digestion and the assimilation of nutrients, reduces intestinal and fecal odors, helps cure constipation, alleviates some of the symptoms of arthritis and helps prevent bladder stones and urinary tract infections.' Birds are no exception in the animal world. ACV, and we point it out that it is made of the whole red sweet apple, provides enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorous, iron, silicon and other trace elements. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2 and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid and pectin and other powerful nutrients.

Puppies - ACV promotes fast growth, therefore promoting skeletal and teeth formation in young dogs. It is beneficial especially for fast growing heavy breeds, which need high calcium intake and its assimilation. It provides essential vitamins and minerals to build stronger immunity from early life.

Mature/Older dogs - ACV is an important part of an anti-arthritis programme therefore it helps relieve stiff and sore joints. Beneficial for hip dysplasia. Effective for a broad range of cardiovascular conditions due to phyto nutrients of the red apples, ACV can contribute to reversing damage done to arteries and the tonic properties will keep the blood thinner and healthier, which promotes blood circulation.

Potassium deficiency in your pets diet causes kidney failures and stone formation. ACV is a good source to replenish it, especially if a pet is on diuretics. It also acidifies the urinary tract and due to concentrated tannins present in red apple skins prevent E. coli bacteria from attacking the lining of the urinary tract.

A pet owner can appreciate the influence of nutrition on the dogs behavior, health, longevity and performance. ACV aids natural digestion whether the dog is on raw meat/bone diet or particularly on commercially produced food. The ingredients for some foods, firstly, can originate from an unreliable source and, secondly are processed heavily and they loose some natural enzymes and proteins hence nutritional value, which is never listed on the label. Animals seem to crave to taste of the sprayed fats and ACV helps to utilise them, as well as enrich meals with minerals and vitamins naturally. More and more owners are now making their own food for the dogs, reinforcing it with unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Other uses for ACV are the prevention of muscle weakness, cramps, twitching of facial muscles, feeling the cold, calluses on elbows and hock joints, constipation, bruising too easily, pimples on skin surface, itching and irritation of the skin. Enhances stamina especially in working/hunting dogs. Improves fertility.

It is highly recommended to add a dose of ACV to your pets daily feed ration, either with wet or dry food and you will find your pet will lick the feed bowl to get every drop of the liquid as they love the taste of it.

DOSAGE AMOUNTS

Small dogs/puppies: 2 teaspoons per day
Medium dogs: 3 teaspoons per day
Large dogs: 4 teaspoons per day

It can be given to any animal as DAILY FEED, or as a health tonic and detox with drinking water to boost the immune system, especially if the pet is living with a smoker.

A dog receiving the ACV will not tire easily. The average dog that has not received it is good for perhaps three to four hours of hunting a day. It will hunt for eight to ten hours steadily during the day given ACV. Apple cider vinegar clearly increases the dog's endurance.

A dog receiving the ACV will maintain a good appetite and eat every meal while being used for hunting/working. A dog receiving the ACV will not lose weight while hunting. To improve fertility for breeding use 1 tablespoons once a day to produce a chemical change in the dogs' bodies favorable for breeding; The puppies are generally born stronger and more vigorous.

For hygiene and pest control - Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ringworm, other fungus, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, pneumonococcus, mange etc. are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acid inside and out. Should you experience any of these with your dog, wash your pet with a gentle shampoo, rinse thoroughly, and then spray on ACV diluted with an equal amount of warm water. Allow your dog to drip/shake dry. No need for harsh measures for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation

Make sure the ACV has the MOTHER still in it. The mother is the dark, cloudy substance in the ACV ú formed from naturally occurring pectin and apple residues - it appears as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains. The presence of the mother shows that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed. Vinegars containing the mother contain enzymes and minerals that other vinegars may not contain due to over processing, filtration and overheating
Somebody did post the amount to give for ACV. I highlighted it :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
only use organic ACV with the "mother" in it still

What do you mean by "mother" never hear that in regards to vinegar.

And I looked in the OP, sorry but I cant see what brand you use just what you're using? or am I missing it?

the link of the tablets has all what you have in liquid form, just wondering if its better than all the liquids and stuff.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
only use organic ACV with the "mother" in it still

What do you mean by "mother" never hear that in regards to vinegar.

And I looked in the OP, sorry but I cant see what brand you use just what you're using? or am I missing it?

the link of the tablets has all what you have in liquid form, just wondering if its better than all the liquids and stuff.
I just get the Whole foods market brand 365 LOL! It's $13.00 a bottle. You find it with all the vitamins and supplement section of the store. It's refrigerated there.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I just get the Whole foods market brand 365 LOL! It's $13.00 a bottle. You find it with all the vitamins and supplement section of the store. It's refrigerated there.
cool, but I still don't know what he meant by the kind with "mother" in it, lol.

I have a Fresh market near me, I was just wondering besides being Organic what was meant by that lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts