Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Savannah in for her rabies/distemper a few weeks back and whilst the vet was examining her he made note of a possible histiocytoma. He told me to monitor it to see if it was getting larger. Well over the last few weeks it's about doubled in size. So I gave him a call today to get an idea of pricing. He told me that it's only a 30min procedure, and he wants to put her out for that time. And he also requires a blood panel to be ran before putting her under, and he suggests sending the sample off to see if it's cancerous. Well when all is said and down I'm looking at a 570 dollar vet bill! To cut off a 1/4in x 1/4in nodule thing. LAME!!! So, now I'm going to be calling my old vet back in Indiana, pretty sure he'll do it for less than half that! lol

Anyone else have an experience with histiocytomas?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
my moms mutt used to get that but his wasnt growing like savannah's, his would actually get smaller and almost seem gone then months later come back and was quite large. the vet took a sample of it at one time to check if it was cancerous but it wasnt so he offered my mom the option of removing it { with a chance it could grow back} or just leave it, figured if it wasnt bothering him they would leave it and he never had issues. Hope your other vet gives you a better price , if you applied for that pet insurance now would it cover that cost ?

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havn't gotten any pet insurance, don't know if it's honestly worth it. How often do you really go to the vet? Ya know? But I'm going to give my vet back home a call, his prices are normally half of what they are up here. So...I can hope that even with the gas to get out there, it'll still be cheaper!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOLOLOLOL I wish i didnt have to use the vet as often as I do lol , but I guess with 5+ dogs it a bit more often then you would have to :) , hope it all works out for the best and the vet gives you a good price. poor savannah give her big hugs :)

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOLOLOLOL I wish i didnt have to use the vet as often as I do lol , but I guess with 5+ dogs it a bit more often then you would have to :) , hope it all works out for the best and the vet gives you a good price. poor savannah give her big hugs :)
She doesn't need more hugs! :p She's already spoiled rotten, doesn't seem I can get a single paycheck without some of it going towards her in some way. Today was a new Nizmo collar, and a prong collar! Last week was good shampoo and food. Week before was all her shots and crap! She's a spoiled thing!!! haha

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol yes they spend money pretty good for not being able to shop lol , almost spend as much as I do lol.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Honestly, around here that would be considered cheap. I'd get this done ASAP. The fact that it grew hat fast is a bit concerning... I hope everything is OK.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news! I brought my dog back home to Indiana to my old vet today. He took the histeocytoma off, and only charged me 87 dollars w/ an ecollar...

Kinda hard to beleive that 150 miles can make a 500 dollar difference in price! Ridiculous! haha But it's all taken care of, he did it under local, put in about 8 staples, I just gotta come back in 10 days to have the staples pulled out.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
It helps having a good rep with a vet deff worth going home for things like that, cant get over the price difference though. glad she got it done hope she feels better soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts