Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beastley is scheduled for surgery on his luxating patella. He knows something is up because he didn't get his dinner tonight and he is crying for it. I have purchased him a inflatable collar, ortho bed and a short leash.

I have read up on it and it stated most likely shortly after this surgery the other knee will need to repaired because of the strain on it and in most cases it is due to hereditary or injury. My hope is that this injury was caused not by hereditary but by an altercation between Beastley and my other dog when they got into it last year. He limped on it initially but with rest he didn't appear to have issues but now he keeps it raised most of the time and the vet recommended that it should be done before he becomes lame.

My stomach is in knots not knowing what to expect when I get him home. I'm concerned about my boneheaded husband (no offense to other males) caring for him when I'm at work. The day after he was neutered, my husband commented on how he let Beastley out and allowed him to jump on the spring pole. He saw my reaction and goes, "Oh I shouldn't of told you that by the expression on your face." Sure enough he broke two stitches. I had to call the vet and had to take him in to be looked at and ended up with antibiotics and pain pills.

This surgery is too costly, not only financially for me but physically for him to fail or be re-injured. My husband is hardheaded and even though I have given strict instructions on how he needs to be leashed at all times especially outside, kept calm and that he isn't allowed on the furniture etc. I just have this ugly feeling he will not heed my instructions...:stick:

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Can you take the afternoon off, and maybe part of tomorrow? Perhaps you need to take care of him yourself if you don't trust your hubby. What kind of place do you work at? Can you possibly take Beastley to work with you to ensure proper care of him, in the event you can't take time off work? What about hiring a dogsitter? Maybe a good friend in the area that you trust? Or boarding him there at the vet's office as a last resort, to ensure proper care and recovery?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken off a few days. Unfortunately I am not allowed to take him to my job. I figure I will get him settled, feed him and take him to do his business before I leave. I will contain him in his comfy spot away from furniture. I live like 10 minutes from home so I have decided to come home on my breaks to check on him, take him out. Plus I am off Friday thru Sunday so during his first week of recovery I won't be home but 1 day. Unless I accidentally get the flu on that day.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
good luck to you and Beastley!!! Let us know how it goes! I am sure he will think he is healed way before he is supposed to be healed lol. Glad you got the inflatable collar and good thoughts going your way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts