Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so on the 17th of this month, I got my pit spayed. I picked her up the next day. They gave me pain meds for me to give her once a day. They said to keep her in the house for 7-10 days with no activity or play and the only time to take her outside is on a leash to go potty and for light exercise. They said to check the incision twice a day and if it started to bubble up give them a call and they would give me further instruction. Well today it decided to bubble up and get all red and very very tender to the touch and of course it happens to be a Saturday so the vet clinic is closed. Since Nevaeh has been home I have had her in my room with me and in a crate when I am gone or at night. I have not allowed her to be active or to get her incision dirty. When I take her outside I have her on the leash away from the other dogs and I walk her around and let her potty and let her chew on some things and let her do light exercising. I have never had an incision swell up on me like this. It is starting to look bruised and a hard knot is on the left side of the incision.

Does anyone have any advice so I can make her as comfortable as possible, and maybe something I can do to make the swelling and knot go down? Is there any medication I can put on the incision? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
:)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You might want to put a cool compress on the incision site? I don't really know. Sounds like she might need some anti-inflammatories. Loki had some swelling around her incision site, but it wasn't very angry-looking. Maybe a phone call to the emergency vet and ask them if they feel it's something that needs to be seen immediately. Also watch her behavior. They act a little sore after a spay, but if she's moping around dragging her face, it might be an indicator that all is not well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think she will be just fine. Karma had something like that also. Is she licking it or biting at it? I think a little swelling is normal just for what she has gone thru but if its hot to the touch and smells funny, then you should keep a close eye on it it Monday.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all for the advice. She actually acts really fine, still loves her food and water, not mopey, wants to play and lick, but I don't allow her to be to active. It doesn't smell at all. I guess it is just tender to the touch for her and I expect it to be. I also guess I don't remember swelling on my other dog, lol, so I got worried when I checked up on this one and felt the knot. If I feel that it gets worse or her temperment changes I will definitely call the emergency vet clinic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My last female had the same exact problem. The swelling and the knot(knots in my girls case). It was due to her moving around too much. I thought I was keeping her still enough but apparently not. I panicked and took her to the vet. He said it is something that does go away on it's own-the knot will disapate and be absorbed back into the body. Do not worry about it. If you are still concerned on monday just call your vet. I am sure they will tell you the same thing. I sure wish I could remember what my vet called this!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay so on the 17th of this month, I got my pit spayed. I picked her up the next day. They gave me pain meds for me to give her once a day. They said to keep her in the house for 7-10 days with no activity or play and the only time to take her outside is on a leash to go potty and for light exercise. They said to check the incision twice a day and if it started to bubble up give them a call and they would give me further instruction. Well today it decided to bubble up and get all red and very very tender to the touch and of course it happens to be a Saturday so the vet clinic is closed. Since Nevaeh has been home I have had her in my room with me and in a crate when I am gone or at night. I have not allowed her to be active or to get her incision dirty. When I take her outside I have her on the leash away from the other dogs and I walk her around and let her potty and let her chew on some things and let her do light exercising. I have never had an incision swell up on me like this. It is starting to look bruised and a hard knot is on the left side of the incision.

Does anyone have any advice so I can make her as comfortable as possible, and maybe something I can do to make the swelling and knot go down? Is there any medication I can put on the incision? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
:)
Hy, for what you decribes, what can be happening is that in the scaring process the wound release some of the serum of the blood coagulums that the surgery produce, so the serum accumulates under the skin and bubbles up, the texture of it is like a water baloon, so you said it is tender to the touch, maybe it is was is happening. If it is what is happening you don´t have to worry, it will pass, the body will absorb it, if the wound remains clear, the stitches are fine and she is whit good mood don´t worry. If she get some fever and the bump get red and hot you have to take her to the vet. Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts