Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
warm weather is around the corner and i was just wondering if your dogs like to swim? Cairo loves baths, and doesnt mind the water, but i have never actually tried to get him to swim. How would i go about introducing him to the water and SWIM?

And would this be a safe idea???? I know other dogs swim, just wasnt sure if it was okay for them to do so

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
loki loves to swim and play in water , my girls though really dislaike it and prefer to stay on dry land. introduce him on leash , I know lokis 1st time out the minute he went past where he could reach he sank and it really shook him up, if its nice go in with him and pick him up so he cant touch so he learns how to actually swim. Its a misconception that all dogs know how to swim naturally , my moms dobi couldnt he would sink and not come up she had to go in after him the 1st time he fell off a dock. she had to get him a life vest for dogs and eventually she was able to teach him to swim lol , I found this hilarious that she had to give doggy swim lessons.
once he is used to it play fetch , throw a stick or tennis ball just dont go overboard they can get tired so keep the throws shorter for the first while.
we have indoor doggy pools here but i havent taken mine there , might be something to do if the weather isnt great and you want to try it out ?
and take pictures lol ,I love doggy shots in the water :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL @ your mom giving Doggy swim lessons!!!!! I will DEFINITELY take pics for you! IM SO EXCITED I CANT WAIT TIL NEXT MONTH when its warmer! YAY! Thanks for the advice, ill keep that all in mind when i take him to the lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts