Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i switched from science diet healthy development to blue buffalo wilderness chicken on my 7 month pitbull this past sunday. Seems like she really enjoys the food. Im going to do a 50/50 mixture for 7 days. Yesterday morning she had the runs but by nite time it was so so. This morning was more solid but still sort of mudd butt. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Give it another few days for your pup's stomach to get used to the new ingredients of the dog food and settle in. We have 3 pit pups ourselves - all about 10months to a little over a year old and have used at least 3 or 4 different brands of dry dog food... we started off with PetSmart's own store branded kibble that was promoted to us by their in-house vet. After a month or so, we went with a family member's advice and we switch to Nutro Ultra as his pittie was doing well with that food... then after joining the GP forum, we learned more about quality dog food and switched to TOTW, but our pups had a real bad case of the runs which lasted for about a month and after a visit or 2 to our vet. We were then advised by our vet to speak to the local feed store owner and he recommended DVP Natural Balance Limited Ingredients. It is all trial and error to be honest with you, as each of my pups have experienced gastrointestinal issues to some extent. Our boy, Cujo seemed to have the worst experiencesm as he has such a sensitive stomach and any change to his diet would result in a period of soft stool to runs. So now, we have stayed with DVP's Natual Balance Limited Ingredients for all three of our pups and since it comes in a variety of flavors, we rotate it everytime we buy a new bag from Chicken to Bison to Lamb to Fish. The Limited Ingredients version has worked very well with my pups as the "limited ingredients" of the food keeps their stool firm.

If you have any other questions, definitely let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
her stool is back to normal as of this morning and she lover her new food. She gets excited and jumps all over the place lol

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
sounds good... and just to change things up once in awhile we put a raw egg or low fat yogurt with additives in as a treat. they love it!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
surprisingly, no. not for my pups anyways. do a search in this forum and a lot of members give their pups raw eggs, and some even give the shell too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts