Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned and loved the American Pit Bull Terrier since 1988. I've done weight pulling (10 years) and Lure Chasing, and conformation (thrice). As I get older, I find myself looking at other breeds. I want to get back into dog sports with another breed, and haven't decided on which breed is best for me. I've considered the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Samoyed(too hairy) Alaskan Malamute (too big) Siberian Husky (talks too much) Field labs, Boykin Spaniels... even the smaller (gamier lines) 35 to 45 lb APBTS. Uggg...

I really want to switch breeds in my old age. lol

What other breeds have you owned? What is their personality like?

·
Administrator
4,836 Posts
Aireal an OG from here has gone Flat Coat Retriever for hunt and dog diving once he champions out in confirmation. Gorgeous dogs, great temperaments as well. Def can't wait to see puppy pics when you decide which one you're going with.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've owned and loved the American Pit Bull Terrier since 1988. I've done weight pulling (10 years) and Lure Chasing, and conformation (thrice). As I get older, I find myself looking at other breeds. I want to get back into dog sports with another breed, and haven't decided on which breed is best for me. I've considered the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Samoyed(too hairy) Alaskan Malamute (too big) Siberian Husky (talks too much) Field labs, Boykin Spaniels... even the smaller (gamier lines) 35 to 45 lb APBTS. Uggg...

I really want to switch breeds in my old age. lol

What other breeds have you owned? What is their personality like?
I have 3 dogs. A bully mix, a shorty bull, and an English Springer Spaniel. The spaniel had been a super versatile and fantastic dog. I've done field trial and hunt test stuff with him, agility, rally, some GRC (he likes wall climb and slat mill), and a lot of fun trick training. What I'll say about spaniels is they are high drive working dogs and can be a lot. Less intensity than a bull breed, but also a lot less chill. Not a lot of natural off switch. Mine is noisy and whiny which is not uncommon. Some are worse than others but it is worth being aware of. Love mine but I find my bull breeds much easier to live with. Granted, my dog and others at my club are all field line dogs and bred to work. Bench bred dogs would be a bit different. I had a Malamute before these and she was certainly one of the most solid dogs I have ever owned but the least interested in doing any kind of sport of any dog I have ever owned. A great companion and hiking buddy. Tons of hair. The spaniel has a lot of hair too, though some lines and types are better than others. I used to compete in obedience with a Boxer and he was a solid dog. Quality, eager, reliable. I didn't know about spring pole back then, but that dog probably would have loved it. A good one is worth its weight in gold. My Shorty Bull is only a year old but honestly so far is a fantastic little sport dog, an easy keeper, and very versatile. I have a couple friends with GSPs and one of them showed some amazing natural talent for weight pull. I had one back in the 90s who was a pretty stellar dog. Again, a good versatile shorthaired breed of dog, but like the spaniels, some of them struggle with off switches. I would also say that be thoughtful about the type of thinking you like from a dog. My spaniel has a sort of thoughtless quick moving way of being. The skill is getting him to slow down and think. My bull breeds can move fast, but they are more thoughtful and deliberate in training, even if they can be sharp and react quickly to things in life, they really are more thoughtful to work with. I am not sure if my ramblings make sense, but really ponder what lifestyle you enjoy, what kind of head you like on a dog for training, and that might help guide your choice. I didn't even get into all the breeds I have owned and worked with. They all have their strengths and it is really just about narrowing down what you enjoy living with and working with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is an interesting one for us. After my husband's APBT died, I decided to get him another dog. His APBT was a female. So he told me he didn't want a male, and he DID NOT want any kind of a Shepherd type dog, at all. Then this guy popped up on my Facebook, he needed a home because he was a "project dog" who was not working out. I talked my husband into going to at least meet the dog. He met him, we took him home for a 1 week trial run, and my husband was totally smitten with him. He is a damn good dog, we got him 3 years ago.
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 3 dogs. A bully mix, a shorty bull, and an English Springer Spaniel. The spaniel had been a super versatile and fantastic dog. I've done field trial and hunt test stuff with him, agility, rally, some GRC (he likes wall climb and slat mill), and a lot of fun trick training. What I'll say about spaniels is they are high drive working dogs and can be a lot. Less intensity than a bull breed, but also a lot less chill. Not a lot of natural off switch. Mine is noisy and whiny which is not uncommon. Some are worse than others but it is worth being aware of. Love mine but I find my bull breeds much easier to live with. Granted, my dog and others at my club are all field line dogs and bred to work. Bench bred dogs would be a bit different. I had a Malamute before these and she was certainly one of the most solid dogs I have ever owned but the least interested in doing any kind of sport of any dog I have ever owned. A great companion and hiking buddy. Tons of hair. The spaniel has a lot of hair too, though some lines and types are better than others. I used to compete in obedience with a Boxer and he was a solid dog. Quality, eager, reliable. I didn't know about spring pole back then, but that dog probably would have loved it. A good one is worth its weight in gold. My Shorty Bull is only a year old but honestly so far is a fantastic little sport dog, an easy keeper, and very versatile. I have a couple friends with GSPs and one of them showed some amazing natural talent for weight pull. I had one back in the 90s who was a pretty stellar dog. Again, a good versatile shorthaired breed of dog, but like the spaniels, some of them struggle with off switches. I would also say that be thoughtful about the type of thinking you like from a dog. My spaniel has a sort of thoughtless quick moving way of being. The skill is getting him to slow down and think. My bull breeds can move fast, but they are more thoughtful and deliberate in training, even if they can be sharp and react quickly to things in life, they really are more thoughtful to work with. I am not sure if my ramblings make sense, but really ponder what lifestyle you enjoy, what kind of head you like on a dog for training, and that might help guide your choice. I didn't even get into all the breeds I have owned and worked with. They all have their strengths and it is really just about narrowing down what you enjoy living with and working with.
Thank you! The Boykin Spaniel and Field Spaniel are 2 on my list that I am researching. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an interesting one for us. After my husband's APBT died, I decided to get him another dog. His APBT was a female. So he told me he didn't want a male, and he DID NOT want any kind of a Shepherd type dog, at all. Then this guy popped up on my Facebook, he needed a home because he was a "project dog" who was not working out. I talked my husband into going to at least meet the dog. He met him, we took him home for a 1 week trial run, and my husband was totally smitten with him. He is a damn good dog, we got him 3 years ago. View attachment 91178
I love these dogs! Way too high strung to add to my family, but love everything else about them. Great story!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Just to throw another potential breed into the mix but you may want to consider a standard poodle as well depending on where you're leaning workwise. I don't know much but I know they're super smart and trainable and do very well in sports. If Indie ever jumps on you could check with her (or shoot her a DM she may get that) - she just branched out and got a standard. They do require a lot of care and grooming maintenance.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2DogTrix and jttar

·
Administrator
5,673 Posts
Just to throw another potential breed into the mix but you may want to consider a standard poodle as well depending on where you're leaning workwise. I don't know much but I know they're super smart and trainable and do very well in sports. If Indie ever jumps on you could check with her (or shoot her a DM she may get that) - she just branched out and got a standard. They do require a lot of care and grooming maintenance.
Hey Jess! Good to see you on the forum. It's been a while and you've been missed. Hope all is as good as possible for our Cayman Island girl. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 dogs. A pitbull, an American bulldog, and a German shepherd. When we walk, I get the pitbull, the wife walks the ab, and the daughter gets the shepherd.

I'm surprised I like the German shepherd as much as the others since I'm so used to bulldogs but the shepherd is great also. The American bulldog and pitbull are more intense dogs

·
Administrator
5,673 Posts
I have 3 dogs. A pitbull, an American bulldog, and a German shepherd. When we walk, I get the pitbull, the wife walks the ab, and the daughter gets the shepherd.

I'm surprised I like the German shepherd as much as the others since I'm so used to bulldogs but the shepherd is great also. The American bulldog and pitbull are more intense dogs
An APBT is more intense than the German Shepherd and most other dogs. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I rescued an English Shepherd back in 2006, she lived to be 13. It was the hardest thing to lose her. She could do anything. That being said, I hate today's ESy. Too much Aussie was mixed in and now they're snappy, anxious, vocal, and have a hard time settling. Most of the ones I've seen come into rescue have a bite history on people before they turn 2. I can't have that. I really want another working bred collie dog. I love my bully boy, but I miss the level of intelligence and willingness to learn a new task anywhere my collie had. I was looking at smooth collies or another working line mix.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rescued an English Shepherd back in 2006, she lived to be 13. It was the hardest thing to lose her. She could do anything. That being said, I hate today's ESy. Too much Aussie was mixed in and now they're snappy, anxious, vocal, and have a hard time settling. Most of the ones I've seen come into rescue have a bite history on people before they turn 2. I can't have that. I really want another working bred collie dog. I love my bully boy, but I miss the level of intelligence and willingness to learn a new task anywhere my collie had. I was looking at smooth collies or another working line mix.
ES aren't supposed to have ANY Aussie in them at all. Not supposed to. What I have been told is people are mixing ES with collies to create their own version of the ES and in many cases, they're called farm collies. I personally have a friend whose family has been breeding pure ES for many generations and they live out in the boonies. Just letting you know that ES aren't supposed to have any Aussie heritage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was almost annoyed at how you talked about Aussies. Our first had some Blue Heeler mixed in and was an awesome dog. Our second was a Lethal White and an awesome dog. Our third, a Mini Aussie, is high strung, twitchy and a P.I.T.A. We love her, but don't know that we'd have another, at least not a Mini.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts