Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner was feeding him canned alpo twice a day with small dog puppy food. He's about 9 months old now and I've had him for a couple weeks. I have been feeding him science diet for young adults mixed with a can of the alpo in the morning and then just the science diet in the evening. I've normally kept my dogs on all dry food and was thinking about weening him off the alpo but figured I'd see what everyone here suggested I do first.

When I first got him his stool was very soft but after a few days it started to look healthy. Not sure if it was from his diet or from the stress of the new home.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
both could be a factor. I am not a huge fan of canned food for young dogs because they don't use their teeth to chew it. I also am not a fan of science diet, so I would get on a higher quality kibble and maybe use the canned food for special occasions. Since you have belly issues in the past, transition really slow. I sometimes take a good 2-3 weeks before my boy is switched over completely.

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Please get him off both those foods and get him on something better. Both science diet and alpo are both filled with junk such as by-products,corn, and other horrible fillers. Definitely check out the link Ames provided you ;) Taste of the wild is a great food and affordable for alot of people. I also hear alot of good things about kirkland brand from Costco. However, I am a fan of canned food for dogs but get him on a better quality one such as wellness or blue buffalo. Canned food is actually more biologically appropriate than dry kibble because of lack of moisture content in kibble. I feed a home cooked diet since kibble failed my dog because of allergies but raw diet also works for alot of people. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to read into that link and go from there. I figured the alpo was no good but didn't realize the science diet was not a quality food. Good to know now before he got too used to this diet.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Science diet rates barely above Pedigree and Purina as far as quality. In some ways it is actually worse, depending on the formula. I recommend going with a grain free kibble or going raw. I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild High Prairie with great results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Switched over to taste of the wild high prairie and he loves it. He would leave the science diet in the bowl and just eat the wet food around it. Now he cleans the bowl out! Price difference wasn't bad either. Now I'm gonna go on a search for a better wet food since I'm almost out of the alpo cans I bought. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts