Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other folks here that enjoy making their own herbal preparations to treat or cure minor common afflictions/conditions?
It is very fun and rewarding to know that you can make your own or your animals life better by buying or making herbal lineaments and or teas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont make my own but I have switched to primarily holistic drops and supplements. When our pup had Parvo the vet prescribed the traditional chemical meds. It almost killed her. Luckily I did my research and found Parvaid and Vibactra. It saved her and she bounced back wonderfully. The vet then said she needed to be on Prednisone and I did my research. There is NO way I would put her on that. So I found some holistic things for her. Im keeping my fingers crossed

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Are there any other folks here that enjoy making their own herbal preparations to treat or cure minor common afflictions/conditions?
It is very fun and rewarding to know that you can make your own or your animals life better by buying or making herbal lineaments and or teas.
As I spent the better part of my upbringing on Okinawa, I am way into western medicines, thousands of years of proof :)

share with us some that you know!! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok so then a quick question. My blue is having horrible skin issues and everything is pointing to give her Prednisone. I am terrified of that because I know that it surpresses the immune system and hers is already struggling. I did the benadryl but it didnt help and have done the food and I am struggling here for ideas. She is miserable. I did go to the naturepath store yesterday and picked up some really good probiotic made by Enzymedica its vegetarian and vegan. Now with that said I have her on Acana Pacifica so we have cut out all the meats and grains and am strictly fish. This product has NO egg, dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, gluten, potato, rice etc....I also have her on a product called Natural Pet and its for skin and itch irritations. Its got 22 active ingrediants and is water base. My biggest problem is that I know that the chemical meds work faster but int eh long run the side effect and the problems you run into are worse. I am at the point now that I am about to throw my hands up. She is the dream dog I have always wanted but since we got her its been nothing but issues. She looks as if shes got lesions and its horrible. I also use alot of Tea Tree oil on her. Its sooothing and helps with the bacteria. I use tea tree oil on everything in our house. We have 6 kids so anything from a cut to fungus to dry skin etc. The smell takes some getting used to but if you can get past that its good. I also am going to start with ACV(apple cider vinegar). Shes started to smell and I wasnt sure if that was from her sores or yeast. I am going to start putting a tablespoon on their food. Also for fleas and worming I use Diatomaceous Earth. I used Ivermectin for a very long time but the chance of overdose is way to severe for me. I had to take one of our pups into the vet a few years back because I gave her too much. I was horrified. Never again. If you have any ideas please pass on

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use and have used prednisone on animals for years with nno illl effect except more pee and more thirst.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't use herbal remedies instead of conventional methods
I use them in conjunction with a good doctors advice.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I make a tea to boost immune function, a "fall, hit" wine, a sleep aide, anti-itch rubs and arthritis pain remedies. As someone said the herbal remedies have a lot of history behind them. My medicines are foor me and my family because some of the external rubs I use may cause nausia if taken internally. And we all know that the first thing dogs do when you apply something is lick!......lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok so do you have any ideas of a "rub" in order to start hair regrowth? The reason I question the prednisone is because it tends to mask and suppress the problem and then when you end the meds it sooner than later starts back up. I would much rather get to the root of the issue and deal with that then just something to hide it. Im just getting frustrated trying to find it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so do you have any ideas of a "rub" in order to start hair regrowth? The reason I question the prednisone is because it tends to mask and suppress the problem and then when you end the meds it sooner than later starts back up. I would much rather get to the root of the issue and deal with that then just something to hide it. Im just getting frustrated trying to find it.
For your purpose you will need w/bloodwork (to determine allergens) an exam and a strict food trial, eliminating the allergens. Then you can drop the pred and switch to herbal medicine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I started a new treatment the night before that has taken down the inflammation and is awesome. I have done alot of research and it seems to be more of a yeast issue with her smell. I found that the majority of the foods we have been using have the sugars even if its from the potatoes so it isnt helping. lol. Go figure. Well wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I spent the better part of my upbringing on Okinawa, I am way into western medicines, thousands of years of proof :)

share with us some that you know!! :)
Cool, but in Okinawa i think they use eastern medicine.Probably some kind of Traditional Asian Medicine.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
oops... thought eastern.. typed western :) lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts