Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mailed this today.

Hello Fellow Pit Bull Lovers!

I am writing to you to gain support for my 16 year old son who is being forced by his High School English teacher to write a paper entitled, "People Should NOT own Pit Bulls".

After my husband died, my family dived headlong into dog rescue, and it was very helpful in the healing process for us. We worked with Bully Paws and often times took in pregnant, abused pits and nursed them and their pups into health and aided in the effort to find them loving Forever Homes. As a pit bull rescuer, and owner of several pit bulls, my family is adamately opposed to writing about this topic as are many kids in the class. And they are not given a choice to write about the opposing views. My son and I have asked several times to write on the opposing viewpoint.

Here is what the teacher says,

"Yes, this is the paper asking students to use the topic "People Should Not Own Pit Bulls."
When we began this project, several students mentioned that they owned pit bulls. I said
that they didn't have to BELIEVE people should not own pit bulls, but for the sake of this
four paragraph research experience, I wanted them to use the four articles/sources I had
provided to discuss two reasons why owning pit bulls could be dangerous."

A whole generation of children are getting their heads filled with harmful, biased "facts" on our beloved breed. Several of us have contacted the school. I just got off the phone with the Assistant Principle, Mr Cassaday, and he said, and I quote, "It is an approved topic and there is nothing wrong with it". Wow. Won't you please help and call the school and voice your opinion??

703.365.6500 - ask for Mr Cassaday's office.

Thank You!
Robyn Horstkamp

--

Bully Paws 540-645-9385

Bully Paws- Pit Bull Patriots, Inc
Fredericksburg, VA
A 501c3 non-profit organization

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I would be objecting to this so hard as the parent. I would call a meeting with the teacher an principal and slap them with the knowledge stick till their ears bled hehe.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ill call tomorrow , a child shouldnt be forced to write something they dont believe in , its like asking the teacher to write something like " I hate blacks" even if they dont believe it is it right? its discrimination how about they are given the choice for or against pitbulls and have both sides be able to be expressed. I wouldnt allow my child to write that paper and would be down in the principals office causing a scene I hope the school gets flooded with calls tomorrow and re thinks this teachers idea for a topic on a paper. if the school doesnt listen id go to the school board and file complaints, this is obviously a teachers opinion on the breed she/he shouldnt be forcing there view on other peoples kids.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Registered
901 Posts
As a teacher in my past life. It is known children will develop beliefs/actions from adults in their lives including a teacher. She knows exactly what she is doing, as well as you, trying to force her beliefs of pits on them. I commend you for taking action for what you believe in. However; I have an alternate option. Make your calls, as well as fellow peers and family. Have them write down dates/times and whom they spoke with and what was said.

Have your child write the essay as requested by the teacher (keep a record of what she wrote/said also).

The last paragraph have your child (and his friends) write something to the effect of: These are all the false and biased reasons why my family owns and rescues pit bulls. Discrimination in any form is unacceptable, whether dealing with racism, physical/mental challenges or even animals. School is one place where discrimination should never be present. We need to look past the outer shell and look at what is inside before we judge in every part of our lives.

Wait for the grade, ( most likely it will be low) get all the copies of his friends papers who weren't happy with the school/teachers request. Notify the editor of the local newspaper/tv and inform him of the school requirement. Invite them to the school board meeting. (I bet you have a few pit lovers in the news dept. We all know they love to stick pits and schools in the news for whatever reason. I bet a special interest group will hear about it and really put them on blast.) Then everyone show up at the next school board meeting. Address the actions of the school/teacher forcing a child write something he doesn't believe and something that is not appropriate to be in school without the opportunity to give an opposing opinion. Stay calm and have the facts in hand and even state you would understand if this was to be written in a debate form so the children could make his own choice and have an open discussion about it.

If nothing else, your child will respect you for standing up for him and his best friend. Good luck.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sheesh I know why I shouldn't be doing this at 4am. I was thinking Xiahko had the problem with the teacher. I will call the school in the morning too because I don't think the concerned parent will get this in time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I was made to write this I would write it with the twist of why SOME people should not own pitbulls like the ones that end up in the shelters, AND PEOPLE LIKE HER that do not appreciate the breed JMO

·
Registered
182 Posts
Teachers can't force their beliefs on students its unethical. Religion, politics, Sexual orientation, etc. all of these things have come up before with a teacher trying to force their belief system on their students and it was deemed wrong, but since this is dealing with dogs its okay? That is still prejudice and should not be allowed on any level.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
do not forget,we are in america, the great promoter of communism through politics and education.
we hated russia for this, yet look at the social divide. the haves dictate to the have nots,the haves,the greatest employer of illegals,to whom they give our american dream, that they pry from an american,to fatten their cheese storage.
I am no longer A proud american,not by choice, by force.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
the best way to prove something true is by attempting to prove it untrue..

Go ahead and try to prove the dog bad; be sure to compare maneaters like GSDs and police dog attacks as comparisons.. bring up Sgnt Stubby .. You'll only find this to be more than true .....

Its a good stand point to know how to argue against your own point view; its only adding integrity to the students who utilize it properly.. Attack the hell out of APBTs and then gradually prove all those false statistics spoken as truth to be absolute :poop: of course Im paraphrasing because Im speaking to you not a 16yr old but you get my drift right?

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's terrible... I'm a father, and clearly remember being a kid in NYC public and Catholic schools where indoctrination in this or that social, moral, spiritual issue is a big part of education...and believe many kids think critically and resent being led by the nose.

Personally, like fire hazard and bruce tpg , I used to take the anti side when I felt strongly about something...(was often in trouble for it, but it's not such a bad thing to learn to stand by your guns) maybe yours would be comfortable writing a piece which is well researched and documented with attributions about why a pit bull can be a great pet for the right owner.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I agree 100% this is horrible and the teacher is only going to do damage to a lot of kids who had open minds and will now close their minds due to propaganda. Do you have the articles she wants them to use? What do they say? Are they just lies or do they actually try and have some facts to base up her topic? I know its not you, I just really wonder what she is giving her students as the "facts" cited for the paper.

With that being said, I am always up for a good debate. I agree with Firehazard. I feel in order to have good conversations and discussion you sometimes need to be able to argue, convincingly, both sides. What class was it for I wonder. Creative writing? or English?

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
by SLC .. ME A summary...........

…. K9, Man's Best Friend ….

While most people believe police or service dogs, also known as K9's, pose no public threat, actually K9s, mostly German Shepherds, attack more innocent people every year than any one particular breed. Such people like; Alicia Quinonenz, Frances Barnett, and countless other victims know first hand. Including Corporal Stephen Piazaa, of the Prince George County Police Department; who was severely mauled by a quote: "out of control K9", while in pursuit of suspect. While we look to find more information on these situations, it is here we find how often K9 attacks are swept under the rug in the United States.
Genetic make up, like any other animal, make the us and all beings who we are. No matter if we are breeding a racing horse, an intelligent mind, or a fighting dog, that's what we are going to get. Here you have herding and stock breeds such as the German Shepherd and Rottweiler who excelled at guard duty so well, people started to breed them for guard duty hundreds and hundreds of years ago. The German Shepherd Dog was soon inducted as the go to, all around guard dog, also know as the GSD. Of course there are other guard dogs today that are formidable and dangerous as well such as: Dobermans, Rottweilers, American Bulldogs, Presa Canarios, Dogo Argentinos, the list go on and on, these dogs however have been called pit bulls when they attack someone. There is a
Chevalley 2
fundamental difference; genetics. When dogs have been bred to be man aggressive for 50yrs and more, selectively picking out dogs with man stopping power and intelligence, there is the reason we have so many man eating dogs, let alone the K9 trained GSD. Most dog attacks in the U.S. according to the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), are not able to be monitored or analyzed to see which breeds attack the most unless every dog was tagged and licensed. Ironic considering it is the CDC's findings that the insurance companies base their policies from. To me, this is just red tap to keep the public from knowing that police dogs being bred and used in/for this country are truly a menace.
. Before World War II, the German Shepherd was coveted by criminals, and the police through the POLICE GAZETTE, promoted professional dog matching contests, dog fights… After World War II we not only adopted the idea of curriculums, we adopted their German police dog. Some how the American Pit Bull Terrier went from hero to zero, while the man eating GSD, went to star status beginning with Rin Tin Tin type propaganda.
Here in the United States of America we as born citizens especially are supposed to take pride in our civic duty; which is to uphold our own guarantees, rights, and privileges. As it is so stated in the Bill of Rights pertaining to the Constitution of the United States of America; in which this country is and was founded upon. So why is it that a police dog training routine was cancelled in Canada because a civilian's dog, a ABPT/pit bull, attacked a K9 while in training? According to their Constitution of Canada, which is similar to ours, the police in Vancouver had to halt all practices that
Chevalley 3
could be inferred as a potential danger to the people, being that their training facility was not fenced, which is unlawful. People have a right to protect themselves from would be threats, that's why we keep dogs. Just like in the "states" there is bureaucracy to cover the mistakes of officials. However, the urban training utility drill was ceased; under constitutional duress to overhaul police protocol, according to the Vancouver Sun.
Here we have the most man aggressive dogs in America, such as the GSD, being trained and used in every service department in the country, meanwhile the number one stolen dog in America, the American Pit Bull Terrier (A.P.B.T.), is revered the biggest threat. Somewhere in all of our knowledge we have lost common sense. Most of thought loss ironically goes with believing everything we see and hear on T.V. while saying; " Don't believe everything you hear and see on T.V." For example the "Dog Attack" that was posted up almost a year ago in the Coeur d'Alene Press, newspaper; it was a Belgian Malinois, that maimed an 8 year old girl pretty badly. The Belgian Malinois is a police dog bred in Deutschland and is a pure bred dog combining A.P.B.T and GSD. They come to the states as K9s with no pedigree, as pets you get a pure Belgian Malinois, which is a 4 generation inbred dog. Great!; a man biting GSD with pit bull strength and intensity. If it had been a pit bull, the paper would have cause a hysteria that would have the breed banned in CDA. Do we really want these dogs who are man-eaters by nature working for our police, sheriff, and other law enforcement officers? Do we want these dogs living next door to us and our children? Would you not want that K9 put down like any other dog for violent attacks on innocent people? Personally I trust the dog that has been bred for fighting for over 500yrs, the American Pit Bull Terrier, as the
Chevalley 4
great dog man Louis Colby once said; "no one wants a man biting fighting dog." In my own opinion, I think we have more pit bull heroes than GSD's; Old Yellar, Petey and Rascal (Little Rascals original show), Droopy, Snoopy, the RCA dog, SSgt. Stubby (USA's most decorated service dog.),countless others as well as being the mascot for the USA during WWII, before you listen to propaganda have you ever seen a small all white Beagle that could take on a wolf? Maybe we should take pride in our American working, catch dogs. Nothing better than a dog that works like a machine great with kids and has to be TRAINED to be man aggressive, but that's just my opinion. When it comes to the canine world popular opinion decides, Hero or Zero…

by Firehazard

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Oh yeah. I would write this essay with stuff like "people should NOT own pit bulls because most people are not as intelligent as the dogs themselves."

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
do not forget,we are in america, the great promoter of communism through politics and education.
we hated russia for this, yet look at the social divide. the haves dictate to the have nots,the haves,the greatest employer of illegals,to whom they give our american dream, that they pry from an american,to fatten their cheese storage.
I am no longer A proud american,not by choice, by force.
AMEN!! :goodpost: 100% AGREE!:goodpost:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts