Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well she sits, jumps, and gives paw.
I want to teach her how to stay, come when I call her, stop growling when someone knocks, lay down, and roll over.
Are there any techniques that you use that where effective to teaching your
own dogs these tricks?
I have treats to motivate her but she just doesn't want to learn any other tricks.
Thanks, I been searching on youtube and google but haven't found anything solid.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm not expert by any means, but I'm going through what you're going through as well. My technique is to say the command and then show her what the command is suppose to do and then give her a treat and praise her. Do this a few times with the expectation that she won't get it the first night. When she does not listen or doesn't do it, correct her repeating the command then treat her. Consistency is the key. I've trained my 13 week old so far to sit, stay, and lay (laying was a pain! and she still doesn't do it all the time).

As for coming when called I'm working on that and "drop". What I did is say the command and if she doesn't come I walk to her and place where I was then say "here" and treat her. As for drop, I say the command and I'll wait for her to do it herself if not I'll force the object (usually a tug of war rope) and then say the command and praise.

But I've also learned that you can't teach them too many things in one session because they'll get confused. Try one thing at a time.

I'm sure Performance has some tips as she's a trainer. But I hope what I've shared will give you a little help.

OH and I train with sliced up hotdogs...way cheaper than store bought treats. I actually taught my first dog on Goldfish crackers but, that got annoying when I actually wanted some and she started doing tricks wanting them LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, yeah well I always assumed that she would learn it in one session.
She learn how to sit almost instantly, and give paw took like 4-5 treats.
So it was really fast all in one day.
I have been trying for days now and she doesn't want to lay down/drop.
Stay or come here.
Well I will continue to repeat it and make her do the action I want until she does xD
Hopefully I won't give up, thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
when i was training nahla to lay down i have to get her in the sit position first. Once your dog sits hold the treat in front of her nose and then say down and slowly lower the treat to the floor. allowing her nose to follow the treat. at first she may just sit and try to paw the treat. keep moving the treat to the ground slowly leading her by her nose and repeat the down command i promoise that she will get this really fast.

This article here really helped me out

How to teach your dog to LAY DOWN | eHow.com

good luck and keep it positive

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks boogiebot I didn't try that yet, will do next time and let you all know how it goes :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got gunny to learn lay down by sticking the treat kinda in the middle of his body on his side, like about where his belly is. He'd curl his head around to the side to get the treat, and lose his balance. It took a few times to get the treat placement right, but once i found "the spot" it works like a charm. I'd give him about 4-5 more treats once he was down, and say "good boy down" lots.

Drop.. that's another story. Gunny does drop REALLY well when there's food involved, to the point that if we're playing fetch, he practically spits the toy out at me expecting that I'm going to give him a treat. I'm trying to wean him down to treats every 2-3 times. Drop when it applies to something he's not supposed to have works sometimes, but mostly I need a treat and then i feel like I'm rewarding the "bad" behavior.

(gunny doesn't actually get "treats" - he just gets dog food)

·
Registered
35 Posts
When i was teaching Slash to lay down i would tap the floor with a treat in my hand and say the command, while putting a hand on her back and GENTLY applying a small amount of pressure to let her know to go down.

I emphasise gently because i explained this to a friend and he practicaly shoved his dog through the floor after it didnt work the first few times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts