Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Siren is learning sent articles for utility for and we just started a few days ago. I will have to find a video of a dog doing it, it is going to be a lot of work but in the end worth it. I really want to get a UT title on her. If anyone is working on Obed titles and wants to learn let me know and I will type out the steps. This is my first time doing it so I cannot trouble shoot the info I am getting if from a trainer friend if mine who has several OTCH's. (AKC Obed ch)

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
Sorry, can you explain what Utility is? or should I just google, lol.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Utility is the highest level of Obedience in AKC and UKC. It goes Novice, Open, and Utility. Sent articles is just one exercises and basically your dog has to find your sent ut of several articles. What you do is you have several leather and metal dumbbells in a pile then you sent one of each article then give them to the judge. Your back is to the judge and they place it in the pile and you dog must fine the one you scented and bring it back.

Here is a video I found that shows the finished product.

A Doberman showing in Utility obedience class. This video shows the scent discrimination exercise, where the dog must pick a dumbbell with the handler's scent from a group of dumbbells and retrieve it.
This Doberman is the #2 ranking Doberman in the US for Obedience, and she is also a top therapy dog along with several other Dobermans in her family.

Here is a great video of a golden doing the routine. There are parts missing from the video but you get the point.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you teach us retrieving ? I think that's a part of utility right ? Or is it open?
It is part of open and part of sent articles in UT. I can post info about retrieves but to be honest I am not the best teacher of retrieves! lol My best friend has done obed for over 20 years and Siren spent 2 weeks with her to get her to retrieves down. I learned a lot from my mistakes with Siren and I am training my puppies the retrieve now and it is going much better than with Siren. Siren is my first competition dog I have trained this high up so I am still learning a ton!

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
I never went that far in tracking with Cree because I got bored with it. I just know that alot of trainers in my club would keep the articles in their tucked in shirt or in their bra durring obedience and did tracking after the club met. Good luck.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LMAO hey that is where I keep my articles till we go track! Bra's are great storage space ;) I HATE tracking but I get out there and it when I can. Yes it is boring but an important part of sch work. I track Most Sundays before Sch training but this is not the same as Sch tracking.

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
WOW that is so freaking cool!!!!!! That must be hard to train, and nail biting when you see your pup walk away and hoping he gets it right, lol. Soooo cute how they have their backs turned, lol. I wish they had shows around me, I would love to just check out some of the events. One thing is that I noticed the owner touched the bar bell all around and then puts it down with others that no one has touched, that kinda seems like cheating... they should have like 10 scents and he needs to pick out the one, lol. I am kidding of course, it seems crazy hard...

I always thought Mel had a bad sniffer but lately he seems really good when I hide his biscuits on him. Does their nose mature as they get older or maybe he just cares more now lol

· Registered
2,146 Posts
that was an awesome video...brought tears to my eyes too!!! Good luck Lisa!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.