Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cairo is really timid, shy and calm. he is currently 9.5 months old. Do you think his temperament will change as he gets older, like would he become more assertive, confident and tough? Only reason i ask is because he is scared of the littlest things, including pigeons, he actually ran the other way when a pigeon landed on our window sill LOL it was so funny!!! Ive heard people say that dogs change as they get older but what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
It's probably just a confidence thing, mate. The more he's exposed to different things, the less timid he should be. Maybe take him around with you to different places, introduce him to new people, animals (on leash and under control) and he should develop some more confidence.

To answer your original question, I think you'll find most will say they get gradually calmer the older they get.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
IMO and experience as a trainer, he may always be a little shy. While you can build confidence and make him not as timid and he may come out of his shell you may always find him more reserved. Now at 9 months he is still really young and at about this age some dogs go through a bit of low confidence. My suggestion is to take him to as many new places as you can and if possible get into a good puppy class and maybe some puppy agility. Agility is a great confidence builder with the right trainer, the dog may never compete and you may never take another class but when they get brave enough to go over the equipment you can see the confidence increase. At about 9 months my male Varro got a little shy but 3 weeks later came right out of it.
Do not force things on him but rather expose him to new things. If he is worried about something do not drag him to it, just hold your ground and ignore him being scared. A good example is if a bag blowing in the wind made him jump or he wants to run away.
I would hold your ground and do not let him run away, DO NOT coddle him, when he figures out he cannot get away and nothing bad happened go touch the bag or hold it and let him go to it to investigate. When he sees it is nothing scary you can praise him.
I had to do this with Siren, my dog who does it all is secretly scared of bags on fences. lol I have no clue why but when she was a pup she thought it was going to eat her! She could care less for the most part but every now and again if a bag on a fence makes a weird noise she gives it the stank eye ;)
If your pup gets to about 12 months then he is pretty much is what he is. I find at about 10 months I can tell what type of working dog I have and if I want to keep them or place them. If they lack drive it will never get better just be about the same, If they have good drive then I know it will stay the same as an adult. That includes confidence when I am look at prospects.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm trying to socialize our new pup. She more confident in the house and yard, but anywhere else she shy away. So im trying to introduce her to everything possible. I dont have to worry about the new sound thing...my kids have that covered! LOL Im still hearing new sounds myself.:hammer: :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Cairo is really timid, shy and calm. he is currently 9.5 months old. Do you think his temperament will change as he gets older, like would he become more assertive, confident and tough? Only reason i ask is because he is scared of the littlest things, including pigeons, he actually ran the other way when a pigeon landed on our window sill LOL it was so funny!!! Ive heard people say that dogs change as they get older but what do you guys think?
My girl is a big chicken as well. She will be 8 months next week and I have been bringing her to OB classes where the trainer has me doing excercises to boost her confidence. She goes right up to people and sniffs them wagging her tail but as soon as they try to pat her she tries to climb up my leg to save her LOL! She was afraid of trash bags tied up on the side walks when we would walk by them but she is starting to see they won't hurt her LOL! Every new thing we come acoss she will at least investigate it which is great when she acts like she would really rather run from it. Keep socializing him and bringing him every place you can. Introduce him to new things and people :) he should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
performanceknls, what if your dog is over 2 and is still afraid of certain things and I have tried to desensitize him and he is still just afraid? When do you know when to give up and stop making him deal with those situation and just avoid the stuff they fear? Or do you never stop trying and just keep going ignoring their fear and praising after its over?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys, that all sounds good. Cairo actually isnt scared of any in-animate objects, HOWEVER, i DO take him to a local park with an agility course, (when there are no other dogs) and i used to have him do the whole course, until ONE DAY a few months ago, he pulled out halfway into a jump and instead, smacked his head really hard on the pipe, and since then, will NOT go near them, unless running by it, he just locks up, freezes, and just refuses to jump them. He will put his paws on them and KINDA hop over it, but he wont jump like he used to:-( I WAS SO PROUD and now just... SAD.. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts