Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if someone has a pup who you know wasn't socialized properly during the first few months of its life for one reason (ex. left with the breeder for the first few months of it's life) or another (not mistreated) but it was well bred from great lines/bloodlines. How then do you determine if it is the lack of socialization or temperament in a situation such as that?

·
Registered
776 Posts
if it was with the breeder it should have some kinda socialization. the important thing is that it was left with its littermates long enough to learn some manners that we have a hard time teaching. how old is this pup ? If you spend some time with it you should be able to get a bit of a feel for how it is with people. Its the old nature vs nurture debate.
Some problems are genetic and hard to deal with and others are how they are brought up.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it was with the breeder it should have some kinda socialization. the important thing is that it was left with its littermates long enough to learn some manners that we have a hard time teaching. how old is this pup ? If you spend some time with it you should be able to get a bit of a feel for how it is with people. Its the old nature vs nurture debate.
Some problems are genetic and hard to deal with and others are how they are brought up.
What do you mean by "how they are brought up"? By the owner? I think that's what you mean........Anyways, she is now 6 1/2 months and I didn't get her from the breeder until she was 4 1/2 months. She missed alot of early socializing due to being with the breeder for so long and them living out in the stixs of NH (country and lots of woods). They were ALWAYS home to so she was never left alone. Husband worked nights and wife worked days. I have noticed she also has some separation issues but I have been adimant on crateing her and she is great with it NOW. She still is like a velcro pup and hates being left alone. When I move she moves and sometimes she is sitting right by my leg or on my foot. She definitely lacks confidence. She is a scardy cat too. I have had her in OB classes twice a week since I brought her home and I have seen a huge difference in her. Though with certain noises and some new experiences she would rather tuck tail and run for the hills. She goes up to people wagging her tail and sniffs them but depending on how they pet her she will shy away. Like hand over head instead of under. The OB trainer I am going to has lots of experience with Pits and Bullies so right now we are doing different excercises to boost her confidence. She is making good progress but the whole culling thing in the champagne thread made me ask this question and I am obviously using my girl as the example. Got me thinking about the whole temperament vs.socializing thing :roll:

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
What do you mean by "how they are brought up"? By the owner? I think that's what you mean........Anyways, she is now 6 1/2 months and I didn't get her from the breeder until she was 4 1/2 months. She missed alot of early socializing due to being with the breeder for so long and them living out in the stixs of NH (country and lots of woods). They were ALWAYS home to so she was never left alone. Husband worked nights and wife worked days. I have noticed she also has some separation issues but I have been adimant on crateing her and she is great with it NOW. She still is like a velcro pup and hates being left alone. When I move she moves and sometimes she is sitting right by my leg or on my foot. She definitely lacks confidence. She is a scardy cat too. I have had her in OB classes twice a week since I brought her home and I have seen a huge difference in her. Though with certain noises and some new experiences she would rather tuck tail and run for the hills. She goes up to people wagging her tail and sniffs them but depending on how they pet her she will shy away. Like hand over head instead of under. The OB trainer I am going to has lots of experience with Pits and Bullies so right now we are doing different excercises to boost her confidence. She is making good progress but the whole culling thing in the champagne thread made me ask this question and I am obviously using my girl as the example. Got me thinking about the whole temperament vs.socializing thing :roll:
Shanon, my comment in the champagne thread about culling unsound dogs was referring to HA dogs. Dogs that have an unsound temperament are the ones that attack/bite for no reason... something I like to call unwarranted human aggression. From what you have told me about Bella and what I have seen from your threads, Bella does not have a bad temperament. Being shy and scared is not having a bad temperament and because these dogs love their humans, separation anxiety is not uncommon. Heck, Kangol is 6 and is still Velcroed to me. If I ever leave the house without him I look at the front door and there he is looking out the window, staring me down. You would think I committed a felony by the look on his face. lol He is such a brat. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shanon, my comment in the champagne thread about culling unsound dogs was referring to HA dogs. Dogs that have an unsound temperament are the ones that attack/bite for no reason... something I like to call unwarranted human aggression. From what you have told me about Bella and what I have seen from your threads, Bella does not have a bad temperament. Being shy and scared is not having a bad temperament and because these dogs love their humans, separation anxiety is not uncommon. Heck, Kangol is 6 and is still Velcroed to me. If I ever leave the house without him I look at the front door and there he is looking out the window, staring me down. You would think I committed a felony by the look on his face. lol He is such a brat. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks Lauren! I think I am just a worry wart about her because I am doing everything in my power to give her the best and get her to be her best! I know what my problem is though....... after dealing with an HA and DA Austrailian Cattle Dog for so many years it's hard to get away from that mind set.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Thanks Lauren! I think I am just a worry wart about her because I am doing everything in my power to give her the best and get her to be her best! I know what my problem is though....... after dealing with an HA and DA Austrailian Cattle Dog for so many years it's hard to get away from that mind set.
That is understandable girl! Just be aware and address any alarming issues STAT, but I doubt you have anything to worry about! :)

·
JR MEMBER
72 Posts
I would say that there is a difference,but its not huge. A dog can have a great temperament and not know how to socialize properly with other dogs.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
She is still young and you have lots of time to socialize her. I have worked with many rescues that are alot older and have brought them around. Most APBT I know do not like being petted by going over the top of their head they ike it under the chin I dont think that is anything to worrr about. You have ony had her for 2 months give her sometime to get use to things. Like Rome wasnt buildnt in a dy niether is a dog confidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts