Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pit loves chewing/tearing tennis balls, but I just realized that there probably are a bunch of bad chemicals in them cause they aren't obviously made for putting in your mouth.. The last thing I want is to contribute to cancer or something insanely bad for my dog. What are they supposed to play with then, got any recommendations?

My dog has broken every toy I have ever gotten him, kongs etc. I got in the habit of picking up ~$2 tennis ball canisters or cheap basketballs for him to play with but just realized the consequences of all the chemicals he must be ingesting.

I'm killing man's best friend and didn't even know :'(

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Kongs are about the only thing i know of that'll somewhat withstand these dogs

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont pay attention to the whole , this causes cancer and so does this blahblah, this day in age it seems everything causes cancer. BUT tennis balls arent great for this breed they get destroyed prettyquick atleast here they do.
best thing is to have toys they can play with supervised and with you , the ones we find durable here are the jolly ball with the rope ( had ours atleast 7 months now although has some wearing is intact and still holding up}, the kongs but the big black ones heavy duty, they have these balls now that are thick like kongs they have lasted here as well. Big tires work well for those that like to chew and destroy lol.
Then when you arent watching him the toys should be removed and chew toys exchanged instead. We use big beef knuckles and raw meaty bones and we have used nylabones. I find they destroy toys when we arent watching they just want to chew so save your money and take the toys away and replace with chew toys.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
werd.. get some antler or something to give them to chew on when you arent watching them.. but when you play w/ them, bust out their toys

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I give him tennis balls he will run around like a mad man with it and won't let me come close (like a game of chase) and then he sits down and just starts chewing and trying to tear it and will rip it within 10 minutes hence the chemicals from the inside stuff...

He gets frustrated when he can't succeeded in breaking a kong and gets disinterested quickly unlike a tennis ball that makes him instantly go into a trance and follow it with his eyes once I present it to him lol

anyone know any chemical free balls that doing break easily? We have this rubber ball with a bell in it but he hates it for some reason...

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
bully sticks are fine.. make sure they're made in the USA though

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
have you tried Chuck it balls? They are indestructible tennis balls. My boy loves chewing stuff, but tennis balls were are his favorite. He loves the jolly ball but it gets him slimy and dirty playing with it and sometimes I don't feel like dealing, lol.

they are not expensive at all and mine has been around since my boy was 4 months, as long as I don't lose it, lol. Amazon.com: Chuckit! Ultra Ball, Medium, 2 Balls: Pet Supplies

you can also freeze peanut butter in your kong, it makes it last wayyyy longer than non freezing it.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Riley plays with Tennis balls. I just put them up after we are done playing to prevent chewing. She honestly wont touch anything that isn't 'tennis ball green'
Maybe a baseball would be better? I bought a few green ones and they lasted us longer then the tennis balls did or maybe try the jolly egg or eGGe?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I got Shorty a couple rubber balls (The one with the extremely loud squeak from Petsmart and he loves them lol) they last a good amount of time too, When I take away his toys I replace them with just a regular bone and put peanut butter in it, or the smoked pig skin chewies which he loves(and are better for them than rawhide).. Hes spoiled :D... Anyway try goin that route and I bet your pup will love it

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
have you tried Chuck it balls? They are indestructible tennis balls. My boy loves chewing stuff, but tennis balls were are his favorite. He loves the jolly ball but it gets him slimy and dirty playing with it and sometimes I don't feel like dealing, lol.

they are not expensive at all and mine has been around since my boy was 4 months, as long as I don't lose it, lol. Amazon.com: Chuckit! Ultra Ball, Medium, 2 Balls: Pet Supplies

you can also freeze peanut butter in your kong, it makes it last wayyyy longer than non freezing it.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
LOVE chuck it ball totally worth ever penny!!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Everything causes cancer,might as well live it up while you can. Cause that toasted marshmallow you ate as a kid...yeah cancer...

But seriously,I don't buy my dogs tennis balls,cause they try and eat them,and choke on the pieces.

I go with kongs or this other brand that is escaping my mind right now.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Everything causes cancer,might as well live it up while you can. Cause that toasted marshmallow you ate as a kid...yeah cancer...

But seriously,I don't buy my dogs tennis balls,cause they try and eat them,and choke on the pieces.

I go with kongs or this other brand that is escaping my mind right now.
in california everything causes cancer even your water hose...

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
anything with out the metal bands in it you know the radials.. so like a wheel burrow tire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts