Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today that tennis balls eat away at enamel on dogs teeth...any truth to this?? Apparently my source was told by a vet, something to do with the fuzzy green stuff on the outside..?

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
roleary said:
I was told today that tennis balls eat away at enamel on dogs teeth...any truth to this?? Apparently my source was told by a vet, something to do with the fuzzy green stuff on the outside..?
Its the glue that holds the fuzzy stuff on that eats the enamel off the teeth.

3,968 Posts
geisthexe said:
Its the glue that holds the fuzzy stuff on that eats the enamel off the teeth.
so the dog should be fine if it doesnt rip off the fuzzy stuff or does it matter??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told that tennis balls should just be avoided, I went and picked up some of those red rubber ones. They bounce better for longer anyhow.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
hell no they wont go said:
so the dog should be fine if it doesnt rip off the fuzzy stuff or does it matter??
HELLO the glue is also on the outside, what do you think that makes the white lines??? NO they do not have to be ripped open

roleary said:
I was told that tennis balls should just be avoided, I went and picked up some of those red rubber ones. They bounce better for longer anyhow.
tennis balls should be fully avoided, spend the money and purchase some nice rubber balls made for dogs, they will last longer and health wise will be much better.

Deb

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the lesson, Deb.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well I don't know if I would ever avoid tennis balls because I have had a number of dogs that have always carried a tennis ball around. Montag loved his balls and he lived to 16 had his teeth cleaned once. The vet said at age 12 he had the best teeth and he didn't recommend cleaning them. Must depend on the dog. BTW Chalice doesn't like the hard rubber balls as much I think they must hurt her mouth when she catches the ball in the air.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What about the "tennis balls" that are mad for dogs and smell and taste like mint. Still bad? cause my dogs love those things to death but the dont chew them they just love to play fetch with them.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
KONG makes a decent ball but they will eat those too!!!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Buster loves tennis balls. He will only chew open the squeaky ones, not the regular ones. The regular ones we play fetch with and he really doesn't try to eat them. Although he did chew a few up when he was younger. His teeth look ok.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I don't know I think they put out stuff like to make people buy balls and toys designed for animals. We always played with tennis balls with the dogs everyone I knew did the same and the dogs were healthy and lived long lives.

·
Registered
273 Posts
as far as I've learned, which is a lot based on Jaymo's terrible overbite is that balls, in general, can cause the dog's bottom canines to spread out. in our case, if Jaymo's teeth spread any more, they would connect with his upper canines causing enamel erosion. However, if you have a puppy with a slight overbite, a lacrosse ball can pull out the bottom canines and somewhat correct the bite. Jaymo shreds tennis balls in seconds. He seems to be cool with a kong full of peanut butter though!!:snap:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, I didn't know this thanks for the info..

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
In 17 years none of my pits, rottis, or mastiff have had any problems with tennis balls. These vets need to provide some sort of research before they make blanket statements. That is the first thing I ask for when I hear some off the wall statements. For instance some people on the Dogo club said grapes are poisonous to dogs. This is a big fat false statement. My old property has concorde grape vines. Every september the yard was littered with purple grapes. My dogs and the chickens would eat bunches of sweet grapes. None of them had any problems with grapes.
So before I pass on blanket statements I ask for some research.

·
The M.F. Problem
4,878 Posts
HELLO the glue is also on the outside, what do you think that makes the white lines??? NO they do not have to be ripped open
Deb
Man, you just can't stop being a biotch for a moment can you? I thought Witches were supposed to be all full of love for man woman and earth or some crap.

I'm not gonna stop using tennis balls, all I can suggest is don't let your dog rip through one everyday.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In 17 years none of my pits, rottis, or mastiff have had any problems with tennis balls. These vets need to provide some sort of research before they make blanket statements. That is the first thing I ask for when I hear some off the wall statements. For instance some people on the Dogo club said grapes are poisonous to dogs. This is a big fat false statement. My old property has concorde grape vines. Every september the yard was littered with purple grapes. My dogs and the chickens would eat bunches of sweet grapes. None of them had any problems with grapes.
So before I pass on blanket statements I ask for some research.
I hadn't heard about it either, but if you see the pic of my dog's severe overbite in my album, I can see how a ball could spread his lower canines and connect them with the uppers if he chewed on one all day every day. Either way, he just shreds them instantly and i'm stuck cleaning them up. I will play with the lacrosse ball with him from time to time. ... by the way, where you from in CT? I was born in Bridgeport but grew up in Stratford... graduated in 1992

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am from everywhere...lol
But I am in Eastford CT now.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I hadn't heard about it either, but if you see the pic of my dog's severe overbite in my album, I can see how a ball could spread his lower canines and connect them with the uppers if he chewed on one all day every day. Either way, he just shreds them instantly and i'm stuck cleaning them up. I will play with the lacrosse ball with him from time to time. ... by the way, where you from in CT? I was born in Bridgeport but grew up in Stratford... graduated in 1992
hehehehe .. Make that another Ct native here.. Goodness how did I ever end up in Georgia LOL .. I am from danbury also lived in brookfield. It's a small world isn't it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
hehehehe .. Make that another Ct native here.. Goodness how did I ever end up in Georgia LOL .. I am from danbury also lived in brookfield. It's a small world isn't it :thumbsup:
NICE!! Down South is the way to go these days baby. It's WAY expensive to live up here and it's definitely getting to the natives. I catch myself being miserable and enraged at least once a day.:snow:

You probably even have a yard for your dogs. All we have is a two bedroom condo and a young pit bull with a WHOLE lot of energy. Needless to say, I'm getting my cardio.

this forum kicks hiney though. I'm really happy I found and happy to make your acquaintance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts